Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Swapping long cable from wall charger to mobile?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the title state, can I do it? I have a bad Gen1 100amp wall charger. I love the long cable and wanted to know if anyone took apart their mobile charger and swap the 18ft cord with the 24ft cord? That extra 6 ft is a life saver to charge my second Tesla outside.

The only way to open the mobile charge connector is destructive to it's case. If you buy a replacement waterproof case with waterproof cable glands (like what the OpenEVSE uses) then you can just put the whole thing in the new case. Or you can put the mobile connector guts inside the Gen 1 Wall Connector.

An alternative if you only need the extended length occasionally is to put a female port on the end of the long cable so you can use it as a Tesla extension (note that you should not use it on Superchargers!). Here is a female port you can use, but note that you would also need to buy a hydraulic crimper (can buy one from Amazon for less than $45).