Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Swapping Model 3P for X/S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m a nervous wreck spending this much on cars.

Swapping perfectly good Jeep Summit (loaded and quiet) and a perfectly good Model 3 Performance (Stealth). For a Model X LR Raven and a Volt Premier with ACC (not easy to find with ACC). Both at the same time. It’s been little hectic. Having the Volt shipped !!!

I hear you.... I have a 2020 Outback XT (2.4l turbo) on order, replacing a 2018 3.6R H6 Outback; is that crazy or what?! Question, What's ACC? A/C Plug in Charging for the Volt? Why not the Bolt EV? I was thinking about a Volt or Bolt to replace my wife's 2016 Outback 3.6R. At least these problems we have are 1st world problems!

I hear you.... I have a 2020 Outback XT (2.4l turbo) on order, replacing a 2018 3.6R H6 Outback; is that crazy or what?! Question, What's ACC? A/C Plug in Charging for the Volt? Why not the Bolt EV? I was thinking about a Volt or Bolt to replace my wife's 2016 Outback 3.6R. At least these problems we have are 1st world problems!

Adaptive Cruse Control.

on the Tesla forums we call it TACC

Traffic Aware Cruse Control.

They both use Radar to control speed if you start getting to close.

The cruise part is nice, but the more important thing is the forward collision avoidance that usually comes with ACC.

What’s confusing on Volts (and Bolts) is if they don’t have ACC they have “Low Speed Collision Avoidance” which camera based instead of Radar. Better than nothing but not the same things. Most well equipped cars these days above $25k have it. But many $43k MRSP Volts we’re configured with out this $595 option. Stupid. And Bolts were designed without ACC, even more stupid.

Most Subaru’s have it (part of Eye-Sight), very good system.

Adaptive Cruse Control.

on the Tesla forums we call it TACC

Traffic Aware Cruse Control.

They both use Radar to control speed if you start getting to close.

The cruise part is nice, but the more important thing is the forward collision avoidance that usually comes with ACC.

What’s confusing on Volts (and Bolts) is if they don’t have ACC they have “Low Speed Collision Avoidance” which camera based instead of Radar. Better than nothing but not the same things. Most well equipped cars these days above $25k have it. But many $43k MRSP Volts we’re configured with out this $595 option. Stupid. And Bolts were designed without ACC, even more stupid.

Most Subaru’s have it (part of Eye-Sight), very good system.
Ah, got it! Yes, all our Subaru’s have the full Eyesight suite, being Limited Editions. To be frank, I wish the Tesla basic safety driver’s aids were as good as our two Subaru’s, and I’m not talking AP or NoA, but rather LKA, RCTA, collision avoidance, etc. Our Subaru’s have radar front and back, plus the stereo “eyes” with large lenses, unlike the laptop/cell phone size peepers on my M3.

I’ve seen a few references to “sunshade included”. First, is this just the black cloth ones you see in the store? My understanding is they are no longer included (no biggy). But I was curious if this was something more like a retractable shade. Does such an after market thing exist? The front windshield is very cool, but I worry it could be a bit much at times if the sun is in a bad position.....
Any recommended Sunshade (for parking) on the X? Could be unwieldy to install. Probably only up to visors...

I think the included sun shade is referring to a mesh shade that goes across the top of the windshield, above the visors. I used it for the first time this summer. It was brutal driving due West, mid to late afternoon, across Iowa in 90 F weather, and the sunshade did dramatically help. I noticed when my 6 ft plus brother got in the car, though, that he was positioned to look through the mesh which would be awkward, I think. I found it helpful but prefer not to have to use it because I love the unobstructed windshield. If it’s no longer included, probably not too big of a deal. Just avoid driving in the direction of the sun for a long time when it is hot outside!

For parking, we bought:
2016-2017 Tesla Model X Custom Fit Windshield Sun Shade and Heat Shield
from Amazon. Only up to visors but works well. It rolls up, which I find easier to manipulate than a folding shade.

I’m a nervous wreck spending this much on cars.
Me too! Or I was. I had specifically said 1 week prior to us ordering our X that there was NO way I would ever get one. Too expensive and the FWD’s are too flashy and attention magnets. But then I realized how well it would meet our needs, how fun it would be, and that we wouldn’t need to change anything in our finances to make it work. I initially avoided opening the FWD’s in public, if possible, but I’ve actually never once had any gawkers when I do open them. So I’m more chill about it now. And no problems with FWDs. Our biggest problem has been with the driver’s door. Multiple service appointments for it not auto presenting and at one point it couldn’t be opened at all from the outside.

The biggest adjustment I have when driving the X vs the 3 is the autopilot controls. Different hand. Pull towards and push away rather than down and up. I can adjust to either set of controls but always have to pause to think when switching cars.

Anyway, congrats on the new X. Do you have it yet?

Ok , I tried.
If I set far rear vents on, as soon as put in dog mode , seem to shut off. However, another option is keep climate on. If I turn on rear vents and select that option, the rear vents stay on. You just don’t get that nice message on the screen.

Just got my 7 Seat X.

I think you might have misinterpreted what the UI does in Dog mode.

It switches the Rear from "On" to "Auto" then greys the Auto Button out. Same thing it does in the Front.
But the Front doesn't have an "On" button so it looks a little different.

My X tows better (except for range) than my previous Grand Cherokee V8.
Has more torque feels more relaxed.
I towed in my Jeep once in the mountains and the transmission needed to be rebuilt afterwards :(

X has a flat floor cover in the rear that makes everything level and somewhat reduces noise. If you remove it, you will find you have much more storage area for stuff than in your Jeep. Still room for more stuff in the frunk.

My dogs loved riding in the Model X more than the Jeep. They were more relaxed and enjoyed to ride. In the Jeep they seemed more anxious and moving around excited.

Think you are going to love your new Tesla.
Yes, I have a Grand Cherokee High Altitude V8 and only 3500 miles in a year was awaiting the X refresh but now may get an X short term lease, if possible! I got a Stealth P3D last week shoe term, as the options in 2021 look promising Rivian, Model Y, Byton , Nioss , Fisker... something wicked this way comes

Yes, I have a Grand Cherokee High Altitude V8 and only 3500 miles in a year was awaiting the X refresh but now may get an X short term lease, if possible! I got a Stealth P3D last week shoe term, as the options in 2021 look promising Rivian, Model Y, Byton , Nioss , Fisker... something wicked this way comes

I was a little concerned that Tesla might try to "save costs" on the next round of X. Prices (relatively speaking) felt good. So I went for it.

I really liked the Stealth P3D. Going from ICE to P3D was a huge leap. Going from P3D to X feels just as large a leap.

The best way to describe it, it's the best of the P3D and Jeep Summit in one and then some. Truly amazing.

Every large purchase I've ever made, boats, houses, expensive jeeps my wife initially balked at. And later cried when I got of any of them. She was balking quite a bit about money on the X. She was ok about it, but thought it was stupid to spend so much on car. She has immediately been silent about the whole thing since we got it (just quietly enjoying it). I think she already appreciates just what it is. As long as it remains reasonably reliable I think this will be a winner for both of us. It will take time to earn our trust. The Jeeps DEFINITELY did. They just NEVER broke in 30 years of owning them. They pulled boats out of mucky ramps that Ford's and Chevy's couldn't touch.

Bit of a long rambling story, but relative if audio systems is important to you.

Keep in mind, audio systems to me are a very big deal. I never do custom in cars, but I like good audio and I'm willing to pay handsomely for it. And I spent fortunes on home audio systems (on the order of $30K+, think Meridian Audio).

My 17 Jeep Summit had the Harman Kardon 19 speaker 800 watt system already. That Audio system was the main reason I upgraded to the 17 Summit from 15 Overland. Sounded better than any Meridian or Bose OEM system. After one year, I put a 2018 uConnect OEM Head Unit in my 17 Jeep Summit. Cost me $1300.00. Sounded great. The original OEM head unit was made by Harman. The 2018 OEM Head unit, with CarPlay, was made by Panasonic. It was completely plug and plug, everything worked. Bass was a little boomy and I had to back it off. I was never quite sure if it sounded as good. I was not sure if it was a quality difference or the system was equalized to match that head unit. But I really liked the CarPlay features (and needed it for iOS development I was doing) and I kind of forgot about if it was better or worse and it was to much work to swap back and forth. It definitely still sounded very good. A couple days before trade in for the X I put the 2017 OEM Radio back in. I was blown away how much better it sounded. Damn, 2 years listening to suboptimal sound. I was also thinking how much I enjoyed the Model 3 sound. It lacks a little low end but the midrange is really good. I had felt the Jeep with the Panasonic beat it on the low end but the Model 3 midrange was better. When I put the original Harman Head Unit back into the Jeep it had a much tighter low end and the Midrange Matched (or beat) the Model 3. It was perfect IMHO.

All I could think was, will the X come close to this? Remember I traded a perfectly good 15 Overland for a 17 Summit for the Radio. After a bit of research I learned that Tesla hired former Bang and Olufsen employees to design the Model 3 audio. And Harman international was contracted to do the Model S/X. I've heard a lot of mixed opinions on the S/X Premium audio and was very worried. I was blasting the tunes with the Jeep driving in to trade it. To my relief, the X Audio sounds every bit as good as the Jeep did with the Harman Radio, phew.

• Love
Reactions: Sg911 and jebinc