TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

swapping usbc for micro usb cable in model3

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by angelman, Jul 9, 2018.

1. angelman

angelman Member

I took delivery of my model 3 on Saturday and everything was perfect. The only tiny issue is that they now only supply iphone and usb C cables. My phone is still micro usb. I asked if they can swap it for a micro usb and they said they didn't have any connectors and that's just how it was. I said that on a car I had just paid $60,000 (including taxes), I shouldnt have to pay $14 for a cable so my phone will charge (given how integral the phone is to the car). I read from others that they were able to choose what cable they needed. Is it reasonable to ask the service centre to comp me a cable that will work for me?

2. Need

Need Active Member

You could try. Last year when I bought the model x with PUP, it didn't come with the mobile charging package. Model X made earlier that year came with it but mine didn't. When asked about it, they gave me the link to the shop to buy it. :p

3. SamT

SamT Member

I'll swap my micro usb for your lightning cable.

4. angelman

angelman Member

if you were a little closer I would totally do that.. but I think mailing it would end up making it not worthwhile :)

5. angelman

angelman Member

Called Tesla, set up an appointment.. should be good to go. So far excellent service from Tesla... so far :)

6. Legolas

Legolas Member

Wouldn't this work for you: https://smile.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Micro-USB-Cable-UUSBHAUB1RA. You could get the same ones on eBay for < $2, but will end up waiting for 3 to 4 weeks. If your phone supports wireless charging, maybe you can get https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B078WQJMS8

7. angelman

angelman Member

I'll probably change to wireless at some point fairly soon..

8. BlueWRXPride

BlueWRXPride Member

I'd be happy to make that swap with you, I'll send you a PM.