Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

swapping usbc for micro usb cable in model3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my model 3 on Saturday and everything was perfect. The only tiny issue is that they now only supply iphone and usb C cables. My phone is still micro usb. I asked if they can swap it for a micro usb and they said they didn't have any connectors and that's just how it was. I said that on a car I had just paid $60,000 (including taxes), I shouldnt have to pay $14 for a cable so my phone will charge (given how integral the phone is to the car). I read from others that they were able to choose what cable they needed. Is it reasonable to ask the service centre to comp me a cable that will work for me?

You could try. Last year when I bought the model x with PUP, it didn't come with the mobile charging package. Model X made earlier that year came with it but mine didn't. When asked about it, they gave me the link to the shop to buy it. :p

I took delivery of my model 3 on Saturday and everything was perfect. The only tiny issue is that they now only supply iphone and usb C cables. My phone is still micro usb. I asked if they can swap it for a micro usb and they said they didn't have any connectors and that's just how it was. I said that on a car I had just paid $60,000 (including taxes), I shouldnt have to pay $14 for a cable so my phone will charge (given how integral the phone is to the car). I read from others that they were able to choose what cable they needed. Is it reasonable to ask the service centre to comp me a cable that will work for me?

Wouldn't this work for you: https://smile.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Micro-USB-Cable-UUSBHAUB1RA. You could get the same ones on eBay for < $2, but will end up waiting for 3 to 4 weeks. If your phone supports wireless charging, maybe you can get https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B078WQJMS8

Did they give you a micro usb cable ?

This cable would only be needed to charge the phone. The car doesnt play music from a phone via the USB ports (although it will play music from a USB thumb drive plugged in there). That is, unless I am missing something. You only need those cables for power, and if you have a micro usb phone you likely have micro usb cables laying around you can use to charge it in the car.

Maybe not the fancy right angle ones but...

/shrug... maybe I am missing something?

It looks good without any cables dangling .. not ready to spend $14 for them from Tesla store .. hence wondering .. when we can play music via bluetooth, and Tesla already providing ability for calls and calendar, we don't need the cable to do that job ... just need it for charging ..

It looks good without any cables dangling .. not ready to spend $14 for them from Tesla store .. hence wondering .. when we can play music via bluetooth, and Tesla already providing ability for calls and calendar, we don't need the cable to do that job ... just need it for charging ..

Ok that makes sense (except for the "not ready to spend $14 for them part but everyone has their own threshhold for buying things)..... its why I am buying a wireless charging pad, which is significantly more than $14 but will accomplish the "no cables / great convenience" for my and my wifes phones which support wireless charging.