Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Swapping wheels/tires with TPMS Installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a quick question, I bought a set of Tesla wheels from someone that already have winter tires on them and TPMS modules. If I take my wheels off and put the ones I just picked up, do I have to program/pair the new tpms sensors with my car or are they automatic? TIA

do I have to program/pair the new tpms sensors with my car or are they automatic?
"Replacing a Tire Sensor
If the Tire Pressure warning indicator displays frequently, contact Tesla to determine if a tire sensor needs to be replaced. If a non-Tesla Service Center repairs or replaces a tire, the tire sensor may not work until Tesla performs the setup procedure." Sounds like Tesla needs to perform the setup procedure. Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

Reactions: TenKOhms
Not if they are new TPMS's. The OP has new tires and TPMS's. They have to be programed by Tesla, or just ignore the TMPS error messages on the screen.
Tsportline disagrees. They claim to sell new TPMS (both 433MHz and Bluetooth) that the car will immediately self recognize.
This is also my experience with my neighbor's BT equipped car- they bought wheels with TPMS and the car recognized them automatically and it doesn't care when they switch wheels back and forth.

The manual is pretty inconsistent, it also says this:
After replacing one or more wheels (but not after replacing a tire), the TPMS sensors are relearned to ensure tire pressure warnings are accurate. TPMS sensors reset automatically within 10 minutes of driving over 15 mph (25 km/h).
It also appears to have no description of the LEARN TPMS button that is in the UI....

Here's a thread with a bunch of experiences:

Last edited:
I have 2 sets of aftermarket wheels/tires that I switch between summer and winter….both of which came with brand new sensors. Going on 4 yrs now, they get recognized automatically and have never had them programmed. This is with the older sensors, I have no personal experience with the new Bluetooth ones.….but from the looks of it they’re the same.