Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sway Bar Issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mod Y Guy

Supporting Member
Jul 28, 2017
California
Has anyone had to replace the front or rear sway bar end links due to clunking/knocking noises. I’ve replaced both rear shocks, and the lowering springs recently, but the noise has unfortunately remained. I’m thinking it could be coming from the rear sway bar end links or bushings. Just curious if anyone else has had anything similar with rear suspension noise. Thanks!

I'm so glad you posted this. I have a 2018 LR AWD and have noticed the same when turning, going over bumps and sometimes just getting in the car. 3 trips to the SC later, they haven't been able to reproduce it but it happens often enough to still annoy me. What side do you hear it on? For me it's the passenger side somewhere near the middle to rear of the car or so it sounds like at least.

Please let me know if you figure it out so I can get the SC to fix while I still have a warranty. Thanks

Reactions: Mod Y Guy
I’m not a mechanic, but It’s potentially the bushings on the sway bar and or control arms.
These bushings wear out quicker on any car or motorcycle (mounts for motorcycles) that has more torque (weight also doesn’t help), than cars without.
You’ll often find upgraded aftermarket bushings for sports cars and motorcycles this reason.
our cars likely have bushings that do quite well on a car that is significantly less weight, and has significantly less torque. Likely not going to las as long on any electric car with the weight and loads of torque though.
Could this be what you’re referencing.
E2028DBD-D1D0-4C78-9027-5B8A751628E0.jpeg
447C00A4-CD9B-437F-B44B-ADEDD07F3F6D.jpeg

• Helpful
This could definitely be the issue @CDN-Build. Thanks so much for your response and the images. And I'll keep you posted with my findings @ICELess (my noise is coming from the exact same spot!).

To give you a bit more background... I've had my 2018 LR RWD since May 2018. I put lowering springs on in August 2018 (TSportline 1" drop all around) to close the fender gap. All was perfectly fine for over two years until a couple months ago I started hearing a clunking or knocking noise in the rear suspension. It only happened at low speeds, mainly pulling into driveways, or driving slowly over uneven surfaces/bumps. It happens side-to-side (more asymmetrical), not necessarily over speed bumps where the shocks are used and it's balanced. I took it in to the shop that lowered my car and the mechanic said it was my rear left shock that was blown and leaking. Took it in to Tesla and they confirmed this to be true and replaced both rear shocks under warranty (which I felt lucky about since I had modified the suspension). Literally when I was pulling out of the Tesla Service Center I heard the noise again. Ugh :eek: Took it back to Tesla a few days later, they kept it for 10 days, and it was then they told me since I had modified the car with lowering springs they couldn't help me. Frustrating, but it made sense. They said it was probably the springs and to put it back to stock (only then would they continue to track down the noise). Took it back to the shop and my mechanic said there was some rust and rubbing going on with the springs and they should be replaced. I did that, and the noise seemed "better" for a few days, and then returned just as before. Ugh :eek: I've put the car up on jack stands to investigate more, to see if there's any play anywhere in the differential or loose nuts and bolts, but have come up empty. After much research I've narrowed it down to the sway bar (end links or bushings) but thanks to @CDN-Build will also check the control arms. I'm taking it back to the shop tomorrow so my mechanic can inspect those areas. I'm hoping he finds what the problem is and then I'll either order replacement parts from Tesla or go after market with a new Eibach sway bar and end link setup (images attached). If he comes up with nothing, I'll have him put the Tesla stock springs back on so I can go back to Tesla and have them continue to look. Ugh :eek::(

Attachments

• Eibach Sway Bars.png
    Eibach Sway Bars.png
    390.3 KB · Views: 221
  • Eibach Rear Links.png
    Eibach Rear Links.png
    385.3 KB · Views: 242
  • Eibach Front Links.png
    Eibach Front Links.png
    348.3 KB · Views: 203
  • Helpful
Reactions: NJturtlePower
Had one of my front sway bars replaced under warranty as there is a recall on the 2018's

@McFlurri,

Wait....what? Can you expound? ALL 2018’s? Or certain models/VIN spread? I have a Sept 2018 P3D+. What exactly was wrong with your sway that was replaced, which one (front/rear)? Do you have a link to the recall?

Edit: Found this. Is this what you’re referring to/had done?
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10142997-9999.pdf

(Applies to vehicles built before Feb. 2018).

Chris

Last edited:
@McFlurri,

Wait....what? Can you expound? ALL 2018’s? Or certain models/VIN spread? I have a Sept 2018 P3D+. What exactly was wrong with your sway that was replaced, which one (front/rear)? Do you have a link to the recall?

Edit: Found this. Is this what you’re referring to/had done?
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10142997-9999.pdf

(Applies to vehicles built before Feb. 2018).

Chris
idk if it is ALL 2018, but mine was built May 3rd and it was part of the recall.

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
**UPDATE**

Not the shocks, not the springs, not the sway bar bushings or end links. Took the sway bar off completely and took a test drive. Same noise was present. Possibly control arm bushings but out of my skill set. Shop that lowered my 3 is taking it back to stock setup and I've scheduled a Service Center appointment so they can assess, diagnose, and hopefully fix the issue. I won't be able to deal with that fender gap though so it will go back to the the 1" drop with 15/20mm spacer setup when the issue is resolved.

• Informative
Reactions: NJturtlePower
I have a 2019 and the service center replaced my drivers side control arm bushings and sway bar bushings last Friday. The car was making clunking noises on uneven roads, mostly my neighborhood. The sound has since gone away.
Thank you so much for letting me know. Sounds like it might be the same issue. Can I ask, was it your rear control arm and sway bar bushings? If it is, in fact, the control arm bushings that need replacing... hallelujah!! I'm losing it over this "clunking" noise. :eek:

I have a 2019 and the service center replaced my drivers side control arm bushings and sway bar bushings last Friday. The car was making clunking noises on uneven roads, mostly my neighborhood. The sound has since gone away.
Mine is doing this exact same thing at just 10k miles. Driver’s side is the worse. Mines lowered on MPP coilovers. Really hate the idea of putting suspension back to stock to get it fixed. Probably rather just pay for the repair. Any idea what the cost was? Exactly which bushing is it?

Tesla told me they wouldn't even look at my car until I got it back to stock. Tried to have my shop that lowered it take a look but came up empty. We'll see what the Tesla folks have to say. Maybe it has something to do with lowering the car placing more load on the OEM bushings and it just doesn't work for all too long before replacement is needed? I'm hoping to have an answer in the next couple weeks (my service appt. isn't until March 2). Hoping I can dial it back in soon... noise free.

Thank you so much for letting me know. Sounds like it might be the same issue. Can I ask, was it your rear control arm and sway bar bushings? If it is, in fact, the control arm bushings that need replacing... hallelujah!! I'm losing it over this "clunking" noise. :eek:
Mine was the front. I’m completely stock. It started at about 16,000 miles or so.

Mine is doing this exact same thing at just 10k miles. Driver’s side is the worse. Mines lowered on MPP coilovers. Really hate the idea of putting suspension back to stock to get it fixed. Probably rather just pay for the repair. Any idea what the cost was? Exactly which bushing is it?
It was covered under warranty and it was the front drivers side control arm bushing and the passenger side sway bar bushing I think.

• Informative
Just got my car back and it's been returned to stock. I was curious if changing it from lowered to stock would eliminate the noise but it most certainly has not. Definitely still "clanging" around back there. My service appointment at Tesla is in a couple weeks and I'm hopeful they'll find and fix the issue. Seeming more and more like control arm bushing/s.

Were the bushings replaced under warranty? I’m under warranty still and Tesla is saying that this is a wear and tear item that are not covered by warranty.

Were the bushings replaced under warranty? I’m under warranty still and Tesla is saying that this is a wear and tear item that are not covered by warranty.
Tesla did nothing for me. They said they couldn't even hear the noise and passed the buck. I lowered my car again, still hear the noise, and will be changing out both rear OEM camber arms with adjustable arms. No idea if this is the issue but I'm on my own at this point. The noise might be something I have to live with--only happens at very slow speeds--and I've had it checked out by multiple shops telling me that all looks good and is safe. This is me throwing my hands up. 🤷‍♂️

Tesla did nothing for me. They said they couldn't even hear the noise and passed the buck. I lowered my car again, still hear the noise, and will be changing out both rear OEM camber arms with adjustable arms. No idea if this is the issue but I'm on my own at this point. The noise might be something I have to live with--only happens at very slow speeds--and I've had it checked out by multiple shops telling me that all looks good and is safe. This is me throwing my hands up. 🤷‍♂️
Do you have any aftermarket amps or speakers in the trunk?

You can take off the two clips on the plastic trim piece at the top of the trunk carpet and the seal and pull the carpet on the right side down. Maybe the OEM subwoofer is loose causing the rattle?

Do you have any aftermarket amps or speakers in the trunk?

You can take off the two clips on the plastic trim piece at the top of the trunk carpet and the seal and pull the carpet on the right side down. Maybe the OEM subwoofer is loose causing the rattle?
No, it's all stock with the stereo system. I appreciate the suggestion. I'll have to take a look. If that's all it is it would be great but I do believe it's more substantial (with the suspension in some way). I'm really down the rabbit hole with this noise. After swapping out the camber arms, if I still hear it, I'll need to do some research on shops that work with Teslas. The service center has written me off so I'll need to go elsewhere.

Has anyone had to replace the front or rear sway bar end links due to clunking/knocking noises. I’ve replaced both rear shocks, and the lowering springs recently, but the noise has unfortunately remained. I’m thinking it could be coming from the rear sway bar end links or bushings. Just curious if anyone else has had anything similar with rear suspension noise. Thanks!
It's probably the upper control bar. It is a very common problem. Had mine replaced on the driver side yesterday. Fixed the noise. Cost about $396 out of warranty. I expect the other one to go at some point too.

Tesla told me they wouldn't even look at my car until I got it back to stock. Tried to have my shop that lowered it take a look but came up empty. We'll see what the Tesla folks have to say. Maybe it has something to do with lowering the car placing more load on the OEM bushings and it just doesn't work for all too long before replacement is needed? I'm hoping to have an answer in the next couple weeks (my service appt. isn't until March 2). Hoping I can dial it back in soon... noise free.
No it has nothing to do with your mods. It is very common and most likely it will fail on all cars made before late 2020. I had stock and it failed and they fixed it easily but still cost me $396. Stock part is $160. They have newer revisions, up to -H part now. However not sure that makes them last any longer.