Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sway Bars, End Links, and Rear Control Arms Installation & Impression

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone, sorry I’ve seen this a bit late to the Feb 12th revival of this thread as I’m not on the boards often. We 100% stand behind the engineering of our parts and we thrive on clients that love our work.

In a limited # of cases (depending on front sway bar setting and use) we’ve become aware of paint transfer at the end of the sway bar due to light contact on full lock. This subject is related to our very first batch of sway bars and we’ve only seen reports of it occurring a handful of times relative to the # of bars on the road.

Since we work on long term client projects all the time, we have cars come back for further upgrades and we monitor the use of all of the upgrades. We’ve been watching the first batch of sway bars and usually when we see cars come back in with them we see zero evidence of paint transfer (no interference).

Nonetheless, late last year we identified that we wanted to optimize this and so we adjusted the front sway bar design to ensure zero chance of this ever happening again in any use case.

We make micro adjustments to our products all the time which is an added benefit of being made in USA and having direct involvement with our clients and friends in the community.

For any of our valued clients who have ordered the earliest batch of our front sway bar, you are welcome to reach out to us with a photo of any chipping on the sway bar and we will offer a 100% free replacement for you to our newer front bar with the shorter ends.

Our newer front bar is identical visually and has the same stiffness and rates, we’ve just slightly shortened the ends to ensure this never happens again.

If you have this occurring please email me directly [email protected] and ask for Eddy so that I can work with you and assist you personally.

First and foremost we are members of the community and users of our own products since 2013. We’ve been at forefront of innovation and Tesla tuning and we stand behind all of our products to ensure that our clients love them. We will be here to support all requests with our best efforts so please reach out by email at any time.

Eddy-

Email & photos sent earlier today. Should I expect a reply by tomorrow?

Thanks.

Well, since @UnpluggedP is responding to this thread:
a) Your sway bar instructions call for torquing the sway bar end-link nuts to 93 ft-lbs which is not only insanely high, it caused my rear end-link to snap. Never got a reply when I sent a web form about this. Doesn't anybody review the instructions?
UP sway bar install - end link snapped following torque spec

b) At least two people, including me, have the front end-link rub the lower control arm when using the softest position. Nothing to do with the bar itself being too long and transferring blue paint; this is a tolerance issue of where the holes are drilled:
UP Front Sway Bar Endlink Rubbing

Also sending a copy of the above issues to [email protected]

@Bigtuna00 - well, their description of the end bar directly touching the control arm sounds different to our common issue of having the end link rubbing the arm, but maybe it’s the same root cause. I don’t have any blue paint transfer, for example.

But Eduardo at UP has contacted me via email which I appreciate and will follow-up with them.

Reactions: UnpluggedP
Well, since @UnpluggedP is responding to this thread:
a) Your sway bar instructions call for torquing the sway bar end-link nuts to 93 ft-lbs which is not only insanely high, it caused my rear end-link to snap. Never got a reply when I sent a web form about this. Doesn't anybody review the instructions?
UP sway bar install - end link snapped following torque spec

b) At least two people, including me, have the front end-link rub the lower control arm when using the softest position. Nothing to do with the bar itself being too long and transferring blue paint; this is a tolerance issue of where the holes are drilled:
UP Front Sway Bar Endlink Rubbing

Also sending a copy of the above issues to [email protected]

Hi jmarcos, I apologize about that. Yes, we found the 93 ft-lbs typo from the previous employee who had written the guide back in early January. It was unfortunate we did not catch the error earlier, although we did update it in January when we spotted it. We pride ourselves on support and stepping up to help whenever we fall short. We are not always perfect but we care deeply. If you paid for a new rear end-link due to the typo please send me the receipt and I’ll reimburse you for the part since that was our error in overlooking. As for any rubbing on the front bar, we will support you fully on a free replacement/exchange and will coordinate by email. Somehow your web form submission got routed to the wrong place and didn’t reach me. We’re working with our CRM system and team to investigate/fix the routing problem so that things don’t get lost like that because that is terribly frustrating for us all. I’m here for you and will work my hardest to ensure you get the great support that we’re known for over our 20 year history in the aftermarket as Bulletproof/Unplugged.

-Eddy

I don’t think the exact model matters that much. I’ve track my car with 180-295 and 180-275. Both of them can accommodate the full range of travel of my suspension setup.

Ah i believe it's the KLC102 that is off, look at what they sent me compared to yours in the third post. The KLC102 definitely looks longer for me compared to yours and doesn't fit in the rear.

IMG_20200214_183448.jpg

Reactions: Theraven
Thanks everyone. As always we stand behind our clients 100% since we are Tesla owners and enthusiasts first.

Our clients love our sway bars and we offer a 100% no questions asked money back guarantee on them. We stand behind our engineering and the results our products bring on the street and the track.

Anyone who has experienced any paint chipping on the ends of their earlier bars has been offered free replacement with free shipping as an added measure of support.

These bars are on the record holding cars at Buttonwillow Raceway (1:54) and Tsukuba Circuit (1:03.3) as well as bringing smiles and rave reviews on countless street cars.

Regarding sway bar install torque specs:

I got access to the fsm; the rear endlink torque spec is 55nm (41 lb-ft); take note Unplugged install instructions currently say 61 lb-ft. Unfortunately the torque spec for the front endlink is not listed (along with all the other suspension bolts). There's even a page in the manual for suspension "torque check" that just has pictures of all the bolts to check with no torque values...where's the facepalm emoji when I need it...