Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sweet spot for Wheel & Tire Combo for the Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I may have just found the sweet spot for wheel/tire combo for the Y. I've been a bad boy with the go-pedal on the Y ever since I got it. I got aftermarket 20x9.5 wheels with Pirelli summer tires put on almost immediately after delivery. Well, that was 9000 miles ago and the tires are now shot. 😁

When I was shopping for new tires, I thought I'd try a slightly wider width which would also yield a slightly higher side wall which would then yield a slightly more compliant ride. So, I decided to go with a set of 265/40/20s instead of the factory spec 255/40/20. Wow, what a difference!! Not only do I have more surface contact on the pavement, I can feel the difference in ride quality. Not to mention the fact that it seems to fill the wheel wells a lot better too! I am stoked!!

Here's the math. The new tires have 10mm wider tread and are only 4mm taller than stock. But that slight increase in size also yields in additional volume where it would be occupied with more air thus definitely helping with the more compliant ride. I am never going back to the factory size again!

Reactions: everydaychris
My guess is you’re never going to see an automobile manufacturer allow speedometer adjustment for tire size. Maybe,
Maybe the service center would be allowed to do it but I doubt it. Many would immediately switch to the smallest setting to save the indicated mileage.

It would probably be best if the speedometer would be calculated daily based on using the GPS speed as a control. FYI: Open up the Waze app and see the difference in speed if you ever change tire size and calculate the difference.

The 255/45/19 and 255/40/20 causes the speedo to be about 1 mph faster than the actual speed, so at 65 mph, the speedo will display 64. You can confirm this with any GPS app (ie Waze, Google Maps, etc). The new size might correct the discrepancy.

I think I may have just found the sweet spot for wheel/tire combo for the Y. I've been a bad boy with the go-pedal on the Y ever since I got it. I got aftermarket 20x9.5 wheels with Pirelli summer tires put on almost immediately after delivery. Well, that was 9000 miles ago and the tires are now shot. 😁

When I was shopping for new tires, I thought I'd try a slightly wider width which would also yield a slightly higher side wall which would then yield a slightly more compliant ride. So, I decided to go with a set of 265/40/20s instead of the factory spec 255/40/20. Wow, what a difference!! Not only do I have more surface contact on the pavement, I can feel the difference in ride quality. Not to mention the fact that it seems to fill the wheel wells a lot better too! I am stoked!!

Here's the math. The new tires have 10mm wider tread and are only 4mm taller than stock. But that slight increase in size also yields in additional volume where it would be occupied with more air thus definitely helping with the more compliant ride. I am never going back to the factory size again!
Are you sure the change in ride quality isn't caused by new (thicker, softer) rubber at all corners? Did you change tire brands, as well?

I'm trying real hard to believe that your perception of "ride quality" (whatever that means???) is based on the tire size change.

I have been mulling this over for months. The 9.5 in wheel really limits your tire options. Wasn't sure how much of a difference 1% increase would make visually. I'm looking for something that fills the wheel well out a bit more. Would love to see some pics for comparison...

Guessing that Tesla did not use this tire size due to the increased contact patch and reduced range. Also far fewer tire choices with the 265.

Anyone know if a 275 will fit? I Heard it might rub up front but this has not been confirmed...

Do you inflate the new tires to the same pressure as the OEM tires? Just curious...

You always inflate tires to their own specific tire specs. If not, then you may be over or under inflating which can induce premature wear.
Just want to note that the tire pressure number (PSI) shown on the sidewall of the tire is the maximum tire pressure, not the recommended tire pressure. The Model Y tires are specified as XL load tires. XL tire load ratings are based on a tire pressure of 41 PSI. (Standard passenger vehicle tire load ratings are based on a tire pressure of 35 PSI.)

Always refer to the vehicle manufacturer's sticker that is on the side of the B pillar by the driver's seat for the recommended tire pressure (this is the tire pressure in PSI when the tires are cold, not after the vehicle has been driven.) Setting the tire pressure higher or lower by a few pounds should not create undo tread wear. After experimenting with different tire pressure settings I prefer the ride of my Model Y with the 19" wheels and Continental tires set to 43 to 44 PSI.

^^^this...
...except, with the uneven concrete slab surfaces around DFW, 42psi, which is Tesla's figure, is just...too...harsh. I've reduced to 38psi cold, which rises to 41-42 in 75f ambient after driving. I'll be checking again when temps climb into the 90s for the duration of the summer.
I'm carefully checking for excess tire wear, but not terribly concerned, as I'm looking forward to replacing the 19" Conti tires. Hoping the pricey BridgestoneQuietTrack tires will be more forgiving.

^^^this...
...except, with the uneven concrete slab surfaces around DFW, 42psi, which is Tesla's figure, is just...too...harsh. I've reduced to 38psi cold, which rises to 41-42 in 75f ambient after driving. I'll be checking again when temps climb into the 90s for the duration of the summer.
I'm carefully checking for excess tire wear, but not terribly concerned, as I'm looking forward to replacing the 19" Conti tires. Hoping the pricey BridgestoneQuietTrack tires will be more forgiving.
I've found that the ride of my Model Y is improved with the OE Continental tires inflated to 43/44 PSI. It seems counterintuitive but raising the tire pressure by 1 to 2 PSI results in a slightly softer, more cushioned ride.

I found that the suspension in my LR Model Y is a little less firm after almost 3k miles.
Agreed, with the emphasis on "a little". HAHA!

So, I just bumped up to 44psi, 70f ambient. I drove over a dime, and while I couldn't actual tell what the DATE was, I could tell it was heads up!!

I don't remember where you are in MD, but I lived in the DC region from 1959 until 2014. I long for the ribbon smooth stretches of asphalt in various regions in MD. I know MD spends a TON on their highways (my BIL recently retired, was a landscape designer/installer for the state). Texas? Mostly concrete, which is a tedious, expensive install, lasts decades w/o much maintenance, but by then, the slabs have shifted enough (memories of PA Turnpike) to make the ride miserable. Add the exposed aggregate surface into the mix, and I'm now more convinced of the need for adjustable coilovers, and softer tires.

This is yet another example of regional differences/needs. TX vs. ME vs. WA vs. SoCal? All are vastly different.

Ugh...$$$.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: rypalmer
Agreed, with the emphasis on "a little". HAHA!

So, I just bumped up to 44psi, 70f ambient. I drove over a dime, and while I couldn't actual tell what the DATE was, I could tell it was heads up!!

I don't remember where you are in MD, but I lived in the DC region from 1959 until 2014. I long for the ribbon smooth stretches of asphalt in various regions in MD. I know MD spends a TON on their highways (my BIL recently retired, was a landscape designer/installer for the state). Texas? Mostly concrete, which is a tedious, expensive install, lasts decades w/o much maintenance, but by then, the slabs have shifted enough (memories of PA Turnpike) to make the ride miserable. Add the exposed aggregate surface into the mix, and I'm now more convinced of the need for adjustable coilovers, and softer tires.

This is yet another example of regional differences/needs. TX vs. ME vs. WA vs. SoCal? All are vastly different.

Ugh...$$$.
Actually I rarely drive on any of the highways, parkways any more since I am retired. 99% of my driving in my Model Y has been local streets at speeds under 50 MPH. Plenty of uneven road surfaces, pot holes and construction patches to make for less than a smooth ride. If the ride at 44 PSI is not to your liking then try 43 PSI. In my experience somewhere between 43 and 44 PSI is a smoother ride to be had than at the recommended 42 PSI.