Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sweetwater and Cisco Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For you Texans and others:

Would it be sensible for Tesla to build out US84 between Sta. Rosa NM and Cisco? Place a Supercharger in Lubbock. I believe that Lubbock to Sta. Rosa is about 200 miles. Maybe one in Clovis too? One or two more Superchargers going northwesterly from Interstate 20 opens up access to and from all the Western United States, save the Los Angeles metropolitan area south of the transverse range.

Until Interstate 10 is completed even Los Angeles will be more easily reached as Indio to Needles is doable at 170 miles or so. I am too lazy to calculate the extra miles taking this detour, but my guess would be less than one full day's drive?

This could be a nonce solution for summer 2016 with completion of Interstate 10 targeted for some time next year.

For you Texans and others:

Would it be sensible for Tesla to build out US84 between Sta. Rosa NM and Cisco? Place a Supercharger in Lubbock. I believe that Lubbock to Sta. Rosa is about 200 miles. Maybe one in Clovis too? One or two more Superchargers going northwesterly from Interstate 20 opens up access to and from all the Western United States, save the Los Angeles metropolitan area south of the transverse range.

Until Interstate 10 is completed even Los Angeles will be more easily reached as Indio to Needles is doable at 170 miles or so. I am too lazy to calculate the extra miles taking this detour, but my guess would be less than one full day's drive?

This could be a nonce solution for summer 2016 with completion of Interstate 10 targeted for some time next year.
Of course that would be desirable to fill that and many other routes in as Tesla builds out the network.

Hopefully they'll consider that after completing I-20 & I-30 east of Dallas -- they have roughly three times more traffic each than US 84 and six times more traffic each than I-20 west of Midland.

Where are you getting the traffic volume information? I 20 East six times the traffic of I20 West?
You can see the Annual Average Daily Traffic here: Statewide Planning Map
Click on the AADT overlay in the left panel.

Note that I said I-20 West of Midland, which is only 5K cars a day. If you want to compare the part you care about:

Fort Worth <-> Midland: 14K
Dallas <-> Shreveport: 24K
Dallas <-> Texarkana: 24K

I-20 West of Midland and I-10 West of San Antonio are huge investments for desolate roads. Only 4K cars a day between San Antonio and El Paso. IMO, that money would be better spent on Victoria <-> Brownsville.

• Informative
Reactions: purplewalt
Sweetwater confirmed; permit application imminent.

Just talked to a building inspector in Sweetwater. He is emailing back and forth with someone from Tesla over the last couple of days. Most recently, the Tesla rep asked whether an electronic signature was ok on the permit app. (It is.)

He did not give me any specific location information. He did say that he would expect that reviewing the permit application would not take long.

Andy

Can't wait! I just took a trip from Lubbock to San Antonio to see my daughter play in a volleyball tournament and had to stop at Abilene Hilton Garden Inn to charge overnight both ways. From Abilene On the way to the Waco Supercharger, I stopped at the Bluebonnet Country Club in Hico, TX. The owners Perry and Eva Jarrell recently installed a 3 station HPWC with a 10.5 kWh solar array! Very nice people, really enjoyed their place and hospitality. And charging is always free!

Reactions: HillCountryFun