Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

swegman: Car won't turn on (screens are dark)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I appreciate everyone's concern. Unfortunately, I'm not at liberty to discuss the specifics. However, I will say that Tesla saw there was a problem and took action to correct the situation, making me a happy owner. Based on my experience, should anyone have problems with their car, I feel confident that Tesla will do what is right. The company really wants all their customers to be happy and enjoy a great vehicle.

then he could at least come here and say that.

there are a ton of people who took a lot of interest and empathy in his situation (myself included) and to not get back to everyone is a bit rude.
He's not obligated to tell us anything.

Anyone else find it a bit odd that "swegman" appears to have been forced so sign a gag order? I get that Tesla did whats right, yada yada yada but still... I don't get warm fuzzy feelings from this. Am I wrong to be a little turned off by this?

Jeff

Obviously Tesla feels the details getting out would be detrimental to the company. Since we want the company to be successful, and since they make decisions all the time that we are not aware of, we'll just have to trust them on this one. As long as they survive as a company, make great vehicles, and do the right thing by the customer, I'm not that concerned.

Anyone else find it a bit odd that "swegman" appears to have been forced so sign a gag order? I get that Tesla did whats right, yada yada yada but still... I don't get warm fuzzy feelings from this. Am I wrong to be a little turned off by this?

Jeff

Look, the media will grab ANYTHING it can to make a sensational story. There are plenty of people that would LOVE to see Tesla fail (and make a profit from a stock plunge, just check out the short action). Why wouldn't Tesla ask him not to talk in an open internet forum about a specific issue they fixed?

It clearly mattered to them he had a problem. They went to great lengths to fix his issue. He seems extremely happy with the product.

Just the other day, Palin said that Telsa's batteries can "brick" and they will cost the owners $40,000 to replace (and I think she said they are not covered under warranty, which Elon said is not true). She doesn't know what she's talking about, but people will read what she said and believe it. They will think "if one car had an issue, all cars will likely have the same issue".

I appreciate everyone's concern. Unfortunately, I'm not at liberty to discuss the specifics. However, I will say that Tesla saw there was a problem and took action to correct the situation, making me a happy owner. Based on my experience, should anyone have problems with their car, I feel confident that Tesla will do what is right. The company really wants all their customers to be happy and enjoy a great vehicle.

This post makes it clear as day... Tesla gave swegman a new car.

In order to receive it, he had to sign a non-disclosure agreement because if it got out that he was given a new car, they would get FLOODED with demands from others to replace their car at the slightest hint of trouble.

If they just finally found the issue and fixed it, there would be no gag-order. not even close.

thanks. i guess this thread can be locked now...

Last edited:
This post makes it clear as day...

Tesla gave swegman a new car. In order to receive it, he had to sign a non-disclosure agreement because if it got out that he was given a new car, they would get FLOODED with demands from others to replace their car at the slightest hint of trouble.

If they just finally found the issue and fixed it, there would be no gag-order. not even close.

thanks. i guess this thread can be locked now...

Unless he had the first of a recognized critical design flaw that will eventually occur in all our cars resulting in recall!

I don't think anything is clear. Tesla made it right in his mind. He was asked or forced not to divulge.

Perhaps we'll never know.

Sent via Tapatalk.

Unless he had the first of a recognized critical design flaw that will eventually occur in all our cars resulting in recall!.

i doubt it's that extreme.

i would bet that they got the car back in CA, and still couldn't find the flaw after a week or two of searching. instead of pissing off swegman by making him wait further, and surrendering to the fact that they can't fix the car without completely disassembling it (and maybe not even then), they usurped a VIN that was about to head into production and made swegman's original spec and got it to him ASAP.

i doubt it's that extreme.

i would bet that they got the car back in CA, and still couldn't find the flaw after a week or two of searching. instead of pissing off swegman by making him wait further, and surrendering to the fact that they can't fix the car without completely disassembling it (and maybe not even then), they usurped a VIN that was about to head into production and made swegman's original spec and got it to him ASAP.

I was being sarcastic.

I suppose it could be anything.

Sent via Tapatalk.

I'm just happy for you. Tesla did the right thing and provided the right service, the rest should not matter...

Look, the media will grab ANYTHING it can to make a sensational story. There are plenty of people that would LOVE to see Tesla fail (and make a profit from a stock plunge, just check out the short action). Why wouldn't Tesla ask him not to talk in an open internet forum about a specific issue they fixed?

It clearly mattered to them he had a problem. They went to great lengths to fix his issue. He seems extremely happy with the product.

Just the other day, Palin said that Telsa's batteries can "brick" and they will cost the owners $40,000 to replace (and I think she said they are not covered under warranty, which Elon said is not true). She doesn't know what she's talking about, but people will read what she said and believe it. They will think "if one car had an issue, all cars will likely have the same issue".

I understand that completely regarding the media, but the whole MIB approach is just a little uncomfortable to me. It's not going to change my desire to reserve one in any way, shape, or form but I felt the need to at least say what I was thinking for better or worse.

Jeff

Thanks for the update, swegman. I'm satisfied with that response. No conspiracy theories needed on my end.

I just want to clarify one comment that efusco said. He said 1% of the Model S owners have significant issues. That is incorrect. Based on confidential information given to me, it is an order of magnitude LESS, and Tesla is striving to achieve zero significant issues.

Perhaps efusco would like to back up his claims.

For a new company, Tesla is performing quite well indeed.