Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Swerving back and forth trying autopilot lane change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

iwannam3

Aug 8, 2016
Washington
Raining pretty heavy and I signaled to move to the right lane. It started to move over, got near the line and swerved back and then swerved toward the line again multiple times without ever changing lanes. No cars nearby. Had to cancel signal to stop it. Lanes clearly marked. I'm assuming it was rain on the cameras?

Mine did that yesterday - tried to go over, saw light from car behind (but way behind) got confused, swerved back, the driver behind me probably thought I was crazy, then tried to change lane again, this time it did it ... so yes, lane change is not perfect ...

I was also in the rain yesterday, and windshield got sprayed from car going other direction, autopilot immediately disconnected with red lights flashing and warning buzzers going off ... quite exciting ...

I have seen autopilot really not do well in bad weather. It really gets bad (warnings that it is not going to work) when they have ice melt on the roads. The mist from the road coats the cameras and they stop working until you clean them off.

This has happened to me on several occasions, including today. No inclement weather, sunny out. Three lane highway, going from middle to left lane, then from left to middle, the car would not complete the lane change. One thing I thought was the metal guardrail that runs along the sides of a lot of highways in the MA area may interpreted as an object? Although I couldn’t see that happening going from left lane to center.

This has happened to me on several occasions, including today. No inclement weather, sunny out. Three lane highway, going from middle to left lane, then from left to middle, the car would not complete the lane change. One thing I thought was the metal guardrail that runs along the sides of a lot of highways in the MA area may interpreted as an object? Although I couldn’t see that happening going from left lane to center.
I could not move to the left HOV lane. then I found HOV option off in the settings.

I would rather it be more aggressive. I clear before I signal. And honestly, the only way FSD is going to work as Tesla has stated is if the lane change grows a pair. As it stands in any amount of real traffic, you either have to wait 10 minutes for EAP to feel comfortable enough to change lanes, or take over.

Another annoyance with auto lane change is how sometimes (but not always), it inexplicably slows down maybe 5 mph before performing the lane change. I've had this happen several times with no cars anywhere near me ahead in the lane I'm in or the lane I'm changing into, and nobody coming up from behind in the lane I'm changing into. But there is a car behind me, and they must wonder why I'm slowing down and taking so long to get the heck out of the way.