TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Swinging charging pole

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Austindude, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Austindude

Austindude Member

So in my small two car garage I need to park my Model 3 such that the charging port is opposite the closest wall (Yes I could just back into the garage but my wife was not comfortable doing that). I needed to park in this bay as opposed to the adjacent bay because of the size of the car and shelving and a protruding hot water tank closet. to make charging more acceptable I decided to try my hand at building a swinging charging pole that would not interfere with the overhead garage door or the car in the next bay. It is a work in progress and I will be upgrading to cables with a turn buckle instead of cord (that will stretch over time). I may also upgrade the hinge which was made from two pieces of metal brackets for use on 2x4's. Pictures of my first attempt provided.

Attached Files:

• Like x 16
    • Love x 2
  2. skitown

skitown Member

Nice work! Thanks for sharing. I've had similar thoughts and schematics running through my head for months. Always *optimizing*. o_O

3. config.sys

config.sys Member

I thought I finally had my list of colors narrowed down, but that blue looks amazing. Argh!

Great idea, now you just have to motorize it!

4. CdnE90

CdnE90 Member

That’s a great way to solve that problem. I have this exact same problem. Thanks for the idea!

5. Austindude

Austindude Member

Updated ropes to cables with turn buckles. Add more cable clamps and a new hinge next. Tesla Model 3 swinging charge pole 4.JPG Tesla Model 3 swinging charge pole 4.JPG Tesla Model 3 swinging charge pole 4.JPG
    Tesla Model 3 swinging charge pole 4.JPG Tesla Model 3 swinging charge pole 5.JPG

• Like x 1
  6. BioSehnsucht

BioSehnsucht Model 3 LR

I would consider using velcro straps instead of zip-ties for the wiring - you want to spread the pressure out over a larger area so you're less likely to create a hot spot or damage the insulation, etc.

• Like x 3
  7. thimel

thimel Member

Here is my solution to the problem. I wanted to charge two different cars. The YouTube video shows how I did it.

• Like x 3
    • Love x 1
  8. Austindude

Austindude Member

Absolutely but I was also going to do this for another reason, I want to be able to remove the mobile charger in case I want to take it with me. Built everything today and I didn't have the Velcro straps.

• Like x 1
  9. Austindude

Austindude Member

Very nice, and I really like your hinge!

10. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

Very clever and effective charging solutions.

It made me smile how Rube Goldberg they look with bungee cords, fencing toggle bolts, a tool hanger, some scrap wood, eye bolts, a length of PVC and looping it around some supports. Don't mean this in a negative way, but the costs were almost nothing and additional improvements can be made from time to time as the creative juices continue to flow.

11. Austindude

Austindude Member

Yeah and the truth is it was sort of fun to work on. I'll keep improving mine.

12. mrsandman

mrsandman Member

• Like x 1
  13. Austindude

Austindude Member

That spring balancer looks interesting, might check out the weight of the cable and connector vs the balancer spec. I have attached my latest update which includes some upgrades suggested by others.

Attached Files:

14. BioSehnsucht

BioSehnsucht Model 3 LR

That's a pretty slick product, but I think in OP's case it would prevent him from opening the garage door at all when it's in use, based on how the vehicle is positioned. With his "ghetto" solution he can open and close the garage door while the vehicle is plugged in.

• Like x 1
  15. RyanS

RyanS Ka-chow

Ghetto is too harsh. I would call that a MacGyver solution.

• Like x 2
  16. Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison Active Member

Or thrifty even... $1500 for a retractable cord is a bit much if you can build something that works for you.

• Like x 2
  17. Ampre Sand

Ampre Sand Member

• Disagree x 1
  18. Austindude

Austindude Member

As a ghetto guy I really like the potential of that stable boom.

19. RedishArctic

RedishArctic Member

Some good ideas. Keep them coming! Minnesota winters are just plain cruel to garage floors and the evse cables that touch them. I still haven’t finalized where my NEMA 14-50 will be placed in the garage to best charge my upcoming Model 3 and a Volt. This type of ingenuity really helps with this decision.