Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Swinging charging pole

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So in my small two car garage I need to park my Model 3 such that the charging port is opposite the closest wall (Yes I could just back into the garage but my wife was not comfortable doing that). I needed to park in this bay as opposed to the adjacent bay because of the size of the car and shelving and a protruding hot water tank closet. to make charging more acceptable I decided to try my hand at building a swinging charging pole that would not interfere with the overhead garage door or the car in the next bay. It is a work in progress and I will be upgrading to cables with a turn buckle instead of cord (that will stretch over time). I may also upgrade the hinge which was made from two pieces of metal brackets for use on 2x4's. Pictures of my first attempt provided.

Attachments

• Tesla Model 3 swinging charge pole 1.JPG
    Tesla Model 3 swinging charge pole 1.JPG
    280.2 KB · Views: 948
  • Tesla Model 3swining charge pole 2.JPG
    Tesla Model 3swining charge pole 2.JPG
    346.3 KB · Views: 738
  • Tesla Model 3 swinging charge pole 3.JPG
    Tesla Model 3 swinging charge pole 3.JPG
    233.2 KB · Views: 859
I would consider using velcro straps instead of zip-ties for the wiring - you want to spread the pressure out over a larger area so you're less likely to create a hot spot or damage the insulation, etc.
Absolutely but I was also going to do this for another reason, I want to be able to remove the mobile charger in case I want to take it with me. Built everything today and I didn't have the Velcro straps.

Reactions: BioSehnsucht
Very clever and effective charging solutions.

It made me smile how Rube Goldberg they look with bungee cords, fencing toggle bolts, a tool hanger, some scrap wood, eye bolts, a length of PVC and looping it around some supports. Don't mean this in a negative way, but the costs were almost nothing and additional improvements can be made from time to time as the creative juices continue to flow.

Very clever and effective charging solutions.

It made me smile how Rube Goldberg they look with bungee cords, fencing toggle bolts, a tool hanger, some scrap wood, eye bolts, a length of PVC and looping it around some supports. Don't mean this in a negative way, but the costs were almost nothing and additional improvements can be made from time to time as the creative juices continue to flow.
Yeah and the truth is it was sort of fun to work on. I'll keep improving mine.

Reactions: RangerRick
Great ideas. I was thinking of using these to support the cable in the ceiling.

SB-3.0 Spring Balancer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0799QCM9M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_F.F5Ab68CEVCW

They have some that are lower capacity and used to support VR wires like this:

6 Packs Retractable Cable Management for HTC VIVE NEW Version System for HTC VIVE Virtual Reality Headset- MDW Adhesive Drill Free https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M6EB8DM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_5bG5Ab6ZX9GTZ

Anyone try this yet?
That spring balancer looks interesting, might check out the weight of the cable and connector vs the balancer spec. I have attached my latest update which includes some upgrades suggested by others.

Attachments

• Tesla Model 3 swinging charge pole 6.JPG
    Tesla Model 3 swinging charge pole 6.JPG
    240.1 KB · Views: 567
  • Tesla Model 3 swinging charge pole 7.JPG
    Tesla Model 3 swinging charge pole 7.JPG
    184.6 KB · Views: 630