Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Swinging charging pole

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmmm. Maybe I need to build a Supercharger at home. lol
Remember, Supercharger are _chargers_. In HPWC, the "C" does not stand for "Charger". It stands for "Connector". So the onboard unit converts the AC from the connector/NEMA 14-50, etc... into DC to charge the battery. The Superchargers are chargers, and they bypass the on-board charger and directly shove DC into the battery.

Remember, Supercharger are _chargers_. In HPWC, the "C" does not stand for "Charger". It stands for "Connector". So the onboard unit converts the AC from the connector/NEMA 14-50, etc... into DC to charge the battery. The Superchargers are chargers, and they bypass the on-board charger and directly shove DC into the battery.

Yeah....the HPWC and SC's send DC to the batteries....right? Its the same connector right? The SC and the HWPC have AC coming in with DC going out....right?

I wished they would have put a stronger onboard charger in the Model 3.

Vehicle battery option On-board charger capacity (current/power)
Model 3 Standard battery 32 amp / 7.7 kW

Model 3 Long Range battery
Model S or Model X with 75 kWh battery 48 amp / 11.5 kW

Model S or Model X with 100 kWh battery 72 amp / 17.3 kW
We've gotten off topic here but, I will add that for some reason before I received my car I thought the AC adapter that came with the Model 3 LR (along with the internal AC to DC converter charger) would allow charging at a higher rate than the 32 amps allowed for the SR Model 3. That belief turned out to be incorrect. I have heard however that you can use a model S or X AC adapter to allow charging at a higher rate for the Model 3 . I should have tried this before I sold my S 70. Has anybody tried this and does the high power wall connector work on the Model 3 at a higher than 32 amp rating?

• Informative
Reactions: Garlan Garner
So if you have solar and Powerwall - Solar produces DC which is then converted to AC going to the Powerwall where it is again stored as DC then converted back to AC to the HPWC into the car which is converted back to DC. Feels like we could cut out some steps :)

• Informative
We've gotten off topic here but, I will add that for some reason before I received my car I thought the AC adapter that came with the Model 3 LR (along with the internal AC to DC converter charger) would allow charging at a higher rate than the 32 amps allowed for the SR Model 3. That belief turned out to be incorrect. I have heard however that you can use a model S or X AC adapter to allow charging at a higher rate for the Model 3 . I should have tried this before I sold my S 70. Has anybody tried this and does the high power wall connector work on the Model 3 at a higher than 32 amp rating?

The new 2nd Gen MCU has a max output of 32 Amp (and is the only one available to purchase and I believe now ships with new Ss & Xs). The HPWC can go higher and will charge the 3LR up to 48 Amp.

• Informative
The new 2nd Gen MCU has a max output of 32 Amp (and is the only one available to purchase and I believe now ships with new Ss & Xs). The HPWC can go higher and will charge the 3LR up to 48 Amp.
Thank you TT97, that is great news. So obviously the internal AC to DC charger unit is not the limiting factor (since with the HPWC the car can charge at up to 48 amps) but rather the external AC mobile charging unit. Helpful information! Now is my wife going to allow me to buy an HPWC?

Thank you TT97, that is great news. So obviously the internal AC to DC charger unit is not the limiting factor (since with the HPWC the car can charge at up to 48 amps) but rather the external AC mobile charging unit. Helpful information! Now is my wife going to allow me to buy an HPWC?

Correct, 32 Amp is the limit of the MCU; 48 Amp is the charger capacity of the 3LR (the HPWC can go up to 80 Amp max output).

Good find, I really like that boom since it can extend up to 7 feet and support up to 12 lbs! Unfortunately some of the other booms would not work have worked as well for me since they could not extend far enough for my purposes. My boom is about 8 & 1/2 feet long which is appropriate for my garage. Also my pvc pipe, homemade hinge, assorted clamps, screws, cables, etc. didn't cost me anywhere near $139 but maybe if I had seen this first......
I searched and searched for something that was 8-9 feet and this was the closest I could find. The other good option is the horse washing arm that someone else posted. Not that I'm too worried about the appearance in the garage but something off the shelf would be a cleaner look than a DIY solution. I have yet to take a tape measure to it to see if 7 feet will be long enough. I'm running out of patience to keep searching for something off the shelf so I think I'm going to copy your build if 7 feet isn't long enough. Thanks for posting it!

One thought on your build, do you think a steel or aluminum U channel would work too or would it be too heavy? I was thinking of getting U channel that's wide enough to just lay the cable inside it. I'd grind down the ends so that they're not sharp enough to damage the cable or put something like a pulley at the end for the same reason.

jamnmon66 I like the idea shown using EMT conduit (strong, lite weight) for the arm and plumbing parts for the hinge assembly as used in the video bluhorshue link. But that hinge assembly better be very securely mounted to the wall if the arm is going to be long and no support cable are used. I wouldn't want that falling on my car! Of course a support arm could be used (like the one for the horse stable) instead of cables but then it must rotate with the arm. In my case the placement of the cables and the eyebolt used to secure them needed to be such that nothing on the garage door interfered when the door was moving or in the up or down position. Hey go cheap (or as someone in this post called me, ghetto) and try a few things, it won't be that much work, just be careful.

Just put three of these in the garage, the reels in between bays allow you to share the plug between two cars parked in opposite directions. It works well in my case with the longer cord, extra cordage goes up into the ceiling hidden in the unused attic above the garage.

Tesla Charger Looking Up.jpg
Tesla Charger Plugged In.jpg Tesla Charger Reel.jpg

Just put three of these in the garage, the reels in between bays allow you to share the plug between two cars parked in opposite directions. It works well in my case with the longer cord, extra cordage goes up into the ceiling hidden in the unused attic above the garage.

View attachment 298765 View attachment 298763 View attachment 298764
That’s exactly what I was looking to do but needed a 10’ reel. Where did you get yours from? How much was it?

jamnmon66 I like the idea shown using EMT conduit (strong, lite weight) for the arm and plumbing parts for the hinge assembly as used in the video bluhorshue link. But that hinge assembly better be very securely mounted to the wall if the arm is going to be long and no support cable are used. I wouldn't want that falling on my car! Of course a support arm could be used (like the one for the horse stable) instead of cables but then it must rotate with the arm. In my case the placement of the cables and the eyebolt used to secure them needed to be such that nothing on the garage door interfered when the door was moving or in the up or down position. Hey go cheap (or as someone in this post called me, ghetto) and try a few things, it won't be that much work, just be careful.
LOL. I'm a fan of cheap, for sure, and I like tinkerers. I'm tempted to stick with DIY simply because I like the challenge of figuring it out too.

I love the idea of a swinging boom to keep the charger cable out of the way. Here's a design I saw someone DIY to hold a vacuum cleaner hose in his wood shop. This one is only 4ft long though.

Homemade wall-mounted boom arm
Is the EMT conduit big enough to fit the charging plug through it? Alternatively, can one end of the cable on the HPWC be disconnected to thread it through there? I haven't pulled mine out of the box yet so I don't know (& I won't be home until tomorrow night). Electrician scheduled for Monday.

I was thinking a T rather than an elbow at the wall and I might be able to thread the cable through the pipe. If I painted the EMT conduit then it would be clean looking AND DIY. :)