Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Swinging charging pole

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're going to run the cable through conduit, keep in mind that even if you can take the end off to fit it into a tighter conduit, you shouldn't go too tight. At the power levels involved, the heating of the cable will be an issue if it is trapped in a small conduit. I'm not even sure if normal NEC conduit fill code would directly apply since it's for individual wires and the Tesla cable is bigger than the sum of it's conductors, but it's a starting point ...

Hey gbdesai I love your solution with the spring reels! For me this solution might be a little problematic since my wife refuses to back into my garage. Even if I located the reel forward closer to the garage door opener it would still need to be a longer run than yours. I couldn't get too close to the front of the garage or the door might catch the cable. This would mean in my case that the charge cable would need to be longer when in use. Not an unsurmountable idea for my garage but the longer cable would be hanging down between the cars. In my narrow garage this cable would need to be avoided when walking between the cars. Anyway, those are my issues, but your idea is great, and what a nice clean look..

I park in the same arrangement. But the cord is long enough to lay on the ground under the car. This seems like a lot of work to solve a problem that doesn’t exist. There’s more than enough cable to reach the port. I’m so confused at this post.

I park in the same arrangement. But the cord is long enough to lay on the ground under the car. This seems like a lot of work to solve a problem that doesn’t exist. There’s more than enough cable to reach the port. I’m so confused at this post.
I feel it is a real problem that exists for me. If it is not of concern for you that's fine, but this thread addresses what I and others feel is an issue. As I have previously posted in this thread I don't want the cable laying on my dirty garage floor or draping over my car. This thread addresses how I, and others, chose to solve it. You should probably not waste anymore of your time reading through this thread. Just my opinion.

I feel it is a real problem that exists for me. If it is not of concern for you that's fine, but this thread addresses what I and others feel is an issue. As I have previously posted in this thread I don't want the cable laying on my dirty garage floor or draping over my car. This thread addresses how I, and others, chose to solve it. You should probably not waste anymore of your time reading through this thread. Just my opinion.
Ditto

• Funny
Reactions: bnsfengineer
Maybe covered in other replies - suggest wrapping pole & hardware in a protective foam so in the unlikely event the pole falls on your vehicle any damage would be superficial.

My charging power is also on the wall opposite the charging port, so have had to lay cable on concrete floor, for the Model S and now the Model 3. A $6.95 garden hose holder keeps it out of the way when not in use (and it helps that the right side of the garage is the non-foot-traffic side). With just a single garage, one Tesla is parked outside, with its back end to the garage door (with the charging cable snaked under the door, for charging, as needed).

Maybe covered in other replies - suggest wrapping pole & hardware in a protective foam so in the unlikely event the pole falls on your vehicle any damage would be superficial.

My charging power is also on the wall opposite the charging port, so have had to lay cable on concrete floor, for the Model S and now the Model 3. A $6.95 garden hose holder keeps it out of the way when not in use (and it helps that the right side of the garage is the non-foot-traffic side). With just a single garage, one Tesla is parked outside, with its back end to the garage door (with the charging cable snaked under the door, for charging, as needed).
Yeah on the concern about the pole somehow falling on the car, I was worried about that which is why I have redundancy by using two cables (though from a common eye hook). The hinge itself also affords another level of redundancy against falls because it is well anchored into a stud. By the way, I used to charge my S with the cable laying on the floor but I'm really enjoying my new setup with the swinging pole.

If you're going to run the cable through conduit, keep in mind that even if you can take the end off to fit it into a tighter conduit, you shouldn't go too tight. At the power levels involved, the heating of the cable will be an issue if it is trapped in a small conduit. I'm not even sure if normal NEC conduit fill code would directly apply since it's for individual wires and the Tesla cable is bigger than the sum of it's conductors, but it's a starting point ...
I would also be concerned about cable heating when using cable reels, unless the entire length of cable is unrolled during use.

So in my small two car garage I need to park my Model 3 such that the charging port is opposite the closest wall (Yes I could just back into the garage but my wife was not comfortable doing that). I needed to park in this bay as opposed to the adjacent bay because of the size of the car and shelving and a protruding hot water tank closet. to make charging more acceptable I decided to try my hand at building a swinging charging pole that would not interfere with the overhead garage door or the car in the next bay. It is a work in progress and I will be upgrading to cables with a turn buckle instead of cord (that will stretch over time). I may also upgrade the hinge which was made from two pieces of metal brackets for use on 2x4's. Pictures of my first attempt provided.
A simpler system may have been to arrange plug into ceiling In the middle so it could reach both spots.

It's basically a super sized articulated monitor stand with some custom brackets and holes.

You could probably do a cheaper DIY version in unistrut (or even the lighter weight "superstrut") with various bits filled out via McMaster-Carr, but it wouldn't be as pretty (without extra effort beyond just being functional) and depending on the value of your time, might cost a similar amount.

So in my small two car garage I need to park my Model 3 such that the charging port is opposite the closest wall (Yes I could just back into the garage but my wife was not comfortable doing that). I needed to park in this bay as opposed to the adjacent bay because of the size of the car and shelving and a protruding hot water tank closet. to make charging more acceptable I decided to try my hand at building a swinging charging pole that would not interfere with the overhead garage door or the car in the next bay. It is a work in progress and I will be upgrading to cables with a turn buckle instead of cord (that will stretch over time). I may also upgrade the hinge which was made from two pieces of metal brackets for use on 2x4's. Pictures of my first attempt provided.

Nice!

I’m a worrier, so my thought is to be sure everything is stronger than is even necessary.

You don’t want anything falling on your car.

I’ll second that “ghetto” is a harsh.

Bordering on racist.
I wished they would have put a stronger onboard charger in the Model 3.

Vehicle battery option On-board charger capacity (current/power)
Model 3 Standard battery 32 amp / 7.7 kW

Model 3 Long Range battery
Model S or Model X with 75 kWh battery 48 amp / 11.5 kW

Model S or Model X with 100 kWh battery 72 amp / 17.3 kW
it’s quite robust, so I’m not sure what you mean.

Do you have enough service at home to run 72 amps of 240?

I don’t.

That’s a huge amount. Welders take maybe 50.

I have 60 amp service in my garage, and that was an upgrade to the service.

We installed a NEMA 14-50 and that’s quite good.