TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Swinging My Hips (Auto-Present Contortions)

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Todd Burch, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

I wanted to get an idea from other techies (tech pkg people) about your auto-present behavior when your fob is in your pocket. I find that when approaching the car from the front (along the side of the hood), the handles start presenting about 7 feet away. The timing is right.

If, however, I approach from the back of the car (along the side), I have to be within a few feet of the door handle to get the auto-present behavior. So I find I have to wait about a second for the handles to extend.

If I approach from the side of the car, I often have to "swing my hips" within about 2 feet of the door to get the auto-present behavior. Much too close, and it looks weird. Oh, and I have to wait for the handles.

When I got my car I reported this to Tesla and they checked both FOBs. They said they were good and this is normal behavior. Is it really? I find it hard to believe that Elon would be satisfied with this behavior.

2. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

I get pretty similar behavior from the front and back for me. From the side, it usually is just fast enough - though I have done the hip swing before.

3. irishstoutaz

irishstoutaz Member

We see similar behavior... we do the Tesla Two Step most of the time when we approach from the rear. (Did I just type that?) :cool:

4. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

I don't have to contort. If I walk up from the back or side, they extend right as I walk up and put my hand out. From the front, they do come out a bit earlier...

For comparison, my wife's Mini Countryman doesn't recognize the fob unless its within about a foot of the car (and you have to press a button on the handle to unlock the door...)

5. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

OT: So are you watching the Cave Creek fireworks at Harold's?

6. irishstoutaz

irishstoutaz Member

No... actually up in Pine at our cabin for the weekend. It is cooler up here but no A/C and am sure there will not be fireworks.

7. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

You put your left hip in,
    You put your left hip out,
    You put your left hip in,
    And you shake it all about.
    You do the Hokey Pokey,
    and you turn yourself around.
    That's what it's all about...

8. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

Mine present just in time from behind, and as you mention a bit early from the front.

But help me out here... I'm just not getting the hip swing. Can someone please post a video as you approach your vehicle?

9. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

Enjoy... My parents have a place in Yarnell (confirmed to be OK)...

10. capt601

capt601 Vin02324

This video may need to be placed in the " I was almost rear ended" thread.

11. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I go back and forth on using auto-present.

When it's on and I come in from the rear in the garage, I have to step forward to the front door to extend the handles then back to open the rear door and drop my briefcase in. (The Tesla 2-step, I think it's called).

From the front, my handles don't start to extend until I'm practically at the door, not the 7' away that the OP mentions.

12. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Yup, I do this routine practically every day to load my son into the back seat at school. He has gotten used to waiting for me to step to the front (with his hand poised/cupped right over the rear handle).

It's awkward and a little embarrassing enough that I kinda pretend to casually meander to the front from some distance rather than walk up the side of the car and back. Or, I take the trouble of reversing into the parking spot so that I can approach from the front after. If there are too many onlookers around, I surreptitiously press the key fob in my jeans pocket to make doubly sure that the handles come out.

Got to be one of those Tesla syndromes that need a name :) How about SHAHS?! The Sore Hips from Auto-present Handles Syndrome!

13. Plug Me In

Plug Me In Member

Same thing for me, but I call it the Tesla swagger.

14. DonL

DonL Member

My car reacts the same way. I've gotten into the habit of double-clicking the fob when approaching from the side.

15. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I just walk up and the handles present themselves.

16. Oyvind.H

Oyvind.H Member

From the manual?

17. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

OK, sounds like I'm not alone. Also sounds like a bit of a design fail here. If you ask me, just present the handles and keep them out as long as I'm within 15' of the car...that's what I say. Really surprised the current behavior made it to production.

I suppose us Model S 1.0ers are out of luck...maybe this will come with the next major revision.

18. teslasguy

teslasguy MSP P#1117

I've always had to do the Tesla hip twist until recently. Now they won't slide out at all without pushing the key fob top if I don't drive for a day or more.

19. dsmith2189

dsmith2189 Active Member

99% of the time I just have to walk up and the door handles present themselves.
    a few times they have not because I have something else in my pocket between the fob and the car.
    I just put my hand in my pocket and fumble around a bit. handles present themselves.
    sometimes I just put my hand in my pocket and fumble around for fun...:biggrin:

20. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

The handles stay open for about a minute if you use the keyfob. If you have the keyfob on a key ring with your house key and you lock the door before you leave then unlocking the Model S before you put your key away is one alternative until Tesla provides a better solution.