TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Swiping on Center Screen

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by TT97, Sep 20, 2018.

1. TT97

TT97 Active Member

Other than the cards, there are several areas on the screen where you can swipe.

As many people are aware, pressing "Navigation" and swiping down will quickly navigate you to home (unless you are already near home in which case it will navigate to your work address).

Today I accidentally learned another two. Pressing on the temperature and swiping left or right will quickly change the temperature - this is much faster and easier then trying to find the little up and down arrows. The same works with the volume control (of course, it is still easier on the steering wheel).

I am now pressing various areas to see if swiping does anything else. So far I have not found other functions.

• Informative x 4
    • Helpful x 1
  2. SDKoala

SDKoala Model 3 LR RWD

I got all excited reading this and just tried it, but it doesn't quite work this way. The normal function of the temp buttons is that the temp will continue to change up or down by holding your finger on the arrow. It doesn't need to be tapped for each degree and the longer you hold it, the faster the temp will change. You can slide your finger from the up arrow to the down arrow without lifting it from the screen to change directions, but swiping left and right doesn't change directions. You're probably slightly moving your finger down when swiping left and moving it up when swiping right. The screen is sensing you've moved from the down arrow to the up arrow independent of the left and right movement.

You can prove it by holding the temp and making sure you're swiping purely left and right without any downward or upward motion. The temp will continue to go up or down (depending on which half of the temp your finger first landed) regardless of left or right swiping direction. If you move your finger up or down and the same time as moving left or right, the temp will change in the direction of the up/down movement and not the left/right movement.

If yours is working as you've described, that's great, but mine definitely does not work that way. Same with the volume control.

What I've wished since day one is that they'd bury the front seat warmer control in a sub-menu and give us one huge button for up and one huge button for down to control the HVAC. Everyone needs to change the temp throughout the year. Only the colder parts of the country need to be able to control the seat warmers and only during the colder months. To have it present all the time on the main menu bar is a waste of valuable screen space. I'm okay with every other button there, including the front and rear defrost which need to be accessed immediately sometimes for safety. The controls for turning on or off a convenience feature that not everyone uses has no place 100% of the time on the main screen. Even the ability to control essential functions like wipers and lights are in sub-menus and those are far more important that seat warmers. (Though I concede that the auto-function on the lights makes it less important to have an immediately accessible control, as well as the presence of the quick wipe button on the left stock that makes wipers always available).

• Like x 1
  3. TT97

TT97 Active Member

Just tried and yeah, left and right was just luck, however, I did notice you don't need to find the arrow - just press on the temperature and while still pressing bring your finger down below the number to lower the temperature or up to raise the temperature. It is much easier to raise the temperature as there is plenty of screen above the temperature but not much real estate below the numbers.

4. SDKoala

SDKoala Model 3 LR RWD

Yeah, I find that useful for quickly putting it on LO or HI. Unfortunately, it's not so great for just changing a few degrees since the rate of change accelerates pretty fast and makes fine tuning difficult.

5. TT97

TT97 Active Member

Looking at pictures from the early Ver. 9 release, it looks like temperature change arrows are now left & right of the temperature (and not above/below) so swiping left/right should work on Ver. 9.

Tesla obviously saw my post and decided to change the arrows!

• Funny x 1