Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switch off of daylights devastating to NEM?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
It just occurred to me that when we go off daylight savings, that 3 pm will have the sun 1 hour further on in the day hence the last vital hour of peak productivity for NEM will vanish. Solar would really suck these days without a bunch of PWs.

I'm on EV-2A. Is this still the best TOU rate for me now that I have solar + 3 PWs?

Looks like other TOU rates start even later at 4 pm. How is it possible that demand for electricity is higher after these times than in the afternoon when the need for AC is highest? Is this real or did PG&E jedi mind trick the PUC?

Is that real? Is the demand really highest at 6:40 in the evening? Did this change and PG&E got permission to change the TOU times to match true demand?

6:40 in the evening probably makes sense. Solar power is diminishing, so all the houses that have been supplying their own power all day are starting to draw from the grid and additionally people are getting home from work and turning TV’s and lights and appliances. Maybe turning on the AC to cool the house now that they are home. People are starting to cook dinner at that time.

6:40 in the evening probably makes sense. Solar power is diminishing, so all the houses that have been supplying their own power all day are starting to draw from the grid and additionally people are getting home from work and turning TV’s and lights and appliances. Maybe turning on the AC to cool the house now that they are home. People are starting to cook dinner at that time.
Exactly. Peak loads have always been on weekday evenings. And solar without battery storage makes the duck curve even worse.

The bigger impact is the utility Solar farms as the sun goes down. If you look at the graph you can see how much power is from utility solar. It does not include solar "behind the meter"