Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switch off "Passive Entry" NOW!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Slightly off topic, forgive me, but does anyone know the range/distance for how far away the key fob should be before the door handles present themselves?
F ex when walking up to the car in normal speed, when does the handles present themselves?

Slightly off topic, forgive me, but does anyone know the range/distance for how far away the key fob should be before the door handles present themselves?
F ex when walking up to the car in normal speed, when does the handles present themselves?

less than 1 m for me; quite often I walk up the drivers side from the rear and try to get into the back door and I cannot gain entry until I move forward to the front of the rear door until all handles present.

Look people if someone wants in your car they will get in. I would rather they have an advanced tech to get in instead of breaking the glass. Anyone who has had this happen knows what a PITA this is, after paying several hundred deductible.

Never leave anything of value in your car; if you have no choice do do not leave it in plain sight; put it in the frunk and put your car in valet mode to lock it. If thieves never gained anything from breaking into cars they would eventually give up.

I keep PE on for convenience, and store my fobs at home in a small tin can from some delicious tea my wife drank:

upload_2018-7-31_16-34-41.png

Cheapest Faraday cage ever. I tested the EM block by taking the can with the fobs inside to my car - didn't open :)

Another thought on the security of PE topic... If PE is enabled:
  1. Can anyone walk up to my car while I'm at a stop light, press the handle, and gain entry?
  2. Can anyone walk up to my car while I'm in Park (and I'm in the car), press the handle, and gain entry?

Irrespective of PE setting:

1. No, Page 7 of the manual;

Model S automatically locks all doors

(including the trunks) whenever your driving
speed exceeds 8 km/h.

2. Depends on the setting you have chosen. Page 6 of the manual;

When you stop Model S and engage the Park
gear, you can choose whether you want doors
to unlock or remain locked. To do so, touch
Controls > Settings > Doors & Locks >
UNLOCK ON PARK. When set to ON, doors

automatically unlock when you engage the
Park gear.

I use one of the Faraday pouches at home for the spare key as it's in the kitchen, close enough to the garage to 'enable' the X through the wall. Works great.

As for distance, the mirrors unfold on my X about 8-10 feet away. The S may be different because it uses a different frequency, if I remember correctly.

All of this is a mess as using the pouch with PE off means PE isn't 'passive' and it's like carrying a pocketbook/handbag to fish in and get the fob out and double-click on. Yech. Not sure what the good answer is in the US right now.

In a way, Tesla sending out a memo advertises the possibility. You can already allow remote start from your phone without the key on model S & X so, I guess leaving the fob in a safe place is possible.

We're making a trip down to an amusement park in southern California with the Tesla so, I ordered Faraday cages for our fobs while in the tourist areas. EDEC Black Hole seems to be the one that works best. Take a look at this PDF: http://ro.ecu.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1165&context=adf

All the online complaints about failure after a few months are a function of the materials being used. Heavy usage of opening and closing the pouch will accelerate deterioration of the solid ferrous material. And once you have a pin hole then you have compromised the cage. EDEC is working on a new manufacturing technique to make the cage more durable and it should come to market in the fall, from my discussion with the manufacturer.

My take on Faraday cage usage is to close the door and put the fob in the Faraday cage while at the vehicle to make sure it locks. Once you go dark, the relay method won't work.

Unfortunately, US law will not allow me to install a Gatling gun or route the high voltage battery to the door handles. Party poopers.

Why the car continues to drive after removing the fob from the vehicle? (or getting out of the range of the extender used to unlock and start the car?

It just throws a message about a key not in the vehicle but keeps going...

Why the car continues to drive after removing the fob from the vehicle? (or getting out of the range of the extender used to unlock and start the car?

It just throws a message about a key not in the vehicle but keeps going...

Yes, so if you drop off your wife at the mall with the key fob in her purse you are not stranded in the middle of the road (no, I don't know this from experience :oops:) Once you put in park you can't restart the car.

@PW.S75D Why would anyone open the car twice and do/steal nothing? Not mentioning that once the fob is no longer "nearby" the car locks again. I'd guess that either someone uses 433MHz range extender nearby for some other purpose (and your car unlocked is just side effect) or there are some exceptional conditions and for works from longer distance than usual.
Haven’t you seen the movie The Other Guys?