Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switch to 245 or 255 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys i will be getting rid of my Pirelli Pzero stock tyres 235 35 20 and plan to move to the Michelin pilot sport 4s as we approach winter. My car is the M3P 2020 running the 20" Uberturbines. Would you advise on going 245 or 255 tyre?

Thanks

I spotted this yesterday. For the 20", it would seem from the latest manual (possibly even earlier) that 245/35 are now an official Tesla factory specification.

1634570468770.png

• Informative
Reactions: Bobly and Cloggie
I spotted this yesterday. For the 20", it would seem from the latest manual (possibly even earlier) that 245/35 are now an official Tesla factory specification.

View attachment 722888

Good spot.. Interesting.. 245s would probably look more normal on the 20” uberturbines too, I do find that stock 235s look a bit odd as they’re stretched over.

May offer a tiny little bit more protection for the rims too.

I guess you’d potentially sacrifice a little efficiency though, but probably less of a concern for those who opted for the P in the first place.

Does anyone have any comments on the road noise of the PS4S in comparison to the stock acoustic Pirelli tyres?
I doubt there is much in it but if you go for a wider tyre then the greater surface area will create a bit more noise.

FYI the acoustic tyres don’t really reduce normal road noise, they stop the weird resonance howl you get on certain types of road surface.

Wonder how many have not done this....

I have not done this "insurance" notification ... not sure why I would need to. Hmmm ... I will ask my agent.

BTW, it is important to get a high load index for your tires - we have relatively heavy cars, and getting anything less than 94 or 96 would be unsafe, IMO.

For example, on my standard 18" Aero wheels, I switched from the original Michelin 235/45-18 tires to a 255/40-18 Michelin Pilot 4S that has a load index of 98 or 100, as I recall.

But, my speedometer is a bit off (shows 61 mph when a GPS speedometer shows 60), so may change to a 245/45-18 the next time. Since the 235/45 had a similar amount of error "the other way", the 24/45 may be best.