Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switch to a Porsche Taycan or Audi E-Tron GT?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Me too ... in the days before they split off the BMW and Mini business ... oh, how they looked down on us lesser mortals! Power steering, suspension parts, top end engine rebuild, grinding gearbox ... thousands£ Oh, and when new the car paint spec was different to that ordered ... so they offered me some car cleaning products and a set of mats ... thanks.
you're bringing back too many bad memories. I had all of those problems. I loved the car/drive but the constant problems made me sell it in the end. I didn't realise they split off now, but either way it did put me off BMWs.

you're bringing back too many bad memories. I had all of those problems. I loved the car/drive but the constant problems made me sell it in the end. I didn't realise they split off now, but either way it did put me off BMWs.
Yes it was a great drive, particularly handling. For marketing purposes they just split at dealership level so "Mini" became its own thing not mixed with other upmarket BMW models ... it may have changed again for all I know becasue I haven't paid much attention.

Has anyone gone to a Taycan forum to see if anyone is thinking of getting a Tesla ?

😂😂

Seems model 3 is respected as much a a Toyota there.

And yes, it turns out this thread is ultimately about reliability.

For a true comparison, if I was to choose between a Porsche EV and Tesla, I would go model s plaid. If I was to go between Porsche and Audi, I would get the better value lease and get ICE 😂

Reactions: Bouba

😂😂

Seems model 3 is respected as much a a Toyota there.

And yes, it turns out this thread is ultimately about reliability.

For a true comparison, if I was to choose between a Porsche EV and Tesla, I would go model s plaid. If I was to go between Porsche and Audi, I would get the better value lease and get ICE 😂
That’s the thread I read as well. Friendly bunch 🙄

Unsure what this says about Porsche EV vs ICE but I put down a deposit on a cayman earlier in the year at the Reading centre and the salesman did say at that time the majority of their sales are for Taycans, but quite a few were getting traded back in very early with owners not liking them and going back to ICE. Guess if it is your first Porsche then maybe a different story.

Reactions: SirBaz
What's this obsession with reliability all of a sudden, has Tesla all of a sudden jumped off the bottom of the reliability ladder to the top :).

If you want a boring, turly souless, white goods transportation get a Toyota or Lexus. We have one, its utterly reliable but its so dull and lifeless we choose to use our far less reliable Tesla every time.

Don't forget Toyotas stance on EVs, and Japan is currently building lots of new COAL power stations so they can make hydrogen cheaper.

Back to choosing between a Model 3 or Taycan......honestly what is there to think about?
Some countries cannot support EV within their infrastructure and hydrogen cell is a very good alternative and reduces potential in city pollution etc. so I don’t think we can preach when EV manufacture isn’t clean as you think.

If I had a pound for every person who claims Japanese cars are soulless and boring, I would be as rich as Elon musk. Maybe your definition of Toyota extends to the Prius 😂😂. 1994 supra, 2014 GT86, Yaris GR. i can keep going on? But just to add, when I had to chose between a C63 and ISF I didn’t end up choosing either as I couldn’t find a decent one, but I was going ISF all the way and again here is where the soulless misconception comes back to defend the German gods!

Reactions: MrT3
For other Japanese cars let's chuck in the Impreza and Evo ... oh, and Datsun 240z way back when ... Yes, I'll vote for ditching the stereotypes too!
Oh my . I love the 240z. I don’t know why, but as kid I wanted one more than a countach ( I don’t think I was considering reliability then!). Yes type r - my favourite and a future classic. Then we get to the true classics. Impreza P1, and celica 1st gen. Then the Nissan GTR. Of course, how about the RX7 - I would kill for a pristine one of those…

Last edited:
Reactions: Paule and Adopado
B3AE17E3-4187-45A8-8994-2EBC020CD721.jpeg

How about this beauty?!

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
As many of you will know i have been locked into a battle with Tesla trying to reject my 2020 M3P since April 2021. They have basically messed me around for the last 6 months agreeing to accept rejection of vehicle due to it being of unsatisfactory quality (see my previous thread for more information). But they want me to take out a new 48 month agreement and order a new M3P. They have agreed to give me a deposit contribution taking into account the M3P is £4k more expensive and they have also offered me £1500 cash compensation. I am mulling over what to do and then it dawned on me that perhaps i should just move to a different brand all together. I have been researching the Audi e-Tron and Taycan forums and the unanimous feeling is that they e-Tron and Taycan are far superior to the M3P albeit at much higher prices which are affordable to me. However upon doing my research i feel that i would really miss the following things about my Tesla if i were to move to a Taycan or E-Tron GT:
  • One pedal driving
  • Auto pilot
  • Integrated dash cam and sentry mode
  • Supercharger network
  • Lack of regular servicing requirements
  • Tesla app
  • Understated looks
My understanding from all of the Taycan and E-Tron GT owners is that these cars are far better built and drive far better which i am sure we will all agree on however none of them can compete with Tesla with the above key areas that i would definitely miss.

Despite my exceptionally poor experience of Tesla with respect to my car's build quality i am finding myself in a position where i am not sure if a Taycan or E-Tron GT would provide a better overall package for me

I would appreciate any thoughts/insights that might help me make a decision on this
Porsche and Audi's have been "for profit" enterprises for a long, long time. There is little goodwill and much avoidance of owning problems even when it's their own fault. Every generation of 911 has had some major issues that Porsche disavowed from solving inside of the warranty, as impact to the bottom line would be horrendous. Of course, few times when hit to the reputation would be too much, they've done appropriate action: replaced my GT4 transmission under warranty, offered 8 years of warranty on GT3 engine with potential issues, replaced some few hundred 991 GT3 engines that were first, with design flow, susceptible to overheating and burning...

In short, their corporate culture scares me. They are the new kid on the block with electric vehicles, likely to have teething problems, and they should be working their buts off to keep their electric vehicles customers happy.

Yet, they don't do that, because their long history of ICE has positioned them otherwise and instilled different mindset. Mindset full of hubrus and corporate greed. So I wouldn't buy electric Porsche product for few years, even-though I've owned number of ICE Porsches, and I still own two (undergoing expensive restorations).

Alex Voigt recently reported on the problem with Taycan batteries that fits my concerns.

On the positive side, they usually return calls, have decent coffee in a waiting lounge, and their salesperson are usually pleasant and sleek, so I don't know, maybe those pros compensate for cons ;)

All these discussions seem to mostly discuss reliability. With ~50 cars in my life I have had good and bad from nearly all of them.
I had a few problems with my 2014 P85D but they were fixed quickly. My P3D and Plaid have so far been faultless. These are just anecdotal too.
I would not usually choose on reliability, personally. I would avoid Porsche just because all three of mine were outrageously expensive to run and had a good many defects that took too long to fix.
Recently I needed another car and drove almost every electric sold in Rio de Janeiro. Both the Mercedes and Audi were just so ponderous that I would not consider them. The Jaguar I ended out rejecting because of poor local dealer support, and nearly bought it anyway. The Porsche seemed very Porsche-like, a good thing, but the absence of regenerative braking irritated me plus the dealer price was stratospheric, and the traditional Porsche option process added 70$ to base.
In the end I bought a Volvo XC 40 EV, because fo dealer support, a idle price that even included my home charger installed plus connectivity and a few other things. My choice was less the car but the simplicity of it all and the outstanding dealer.
Frankly many of my non-Tesla purchases have ended out being about the dealer almost as much as the car, thus some came from locations a distance away to avoid the closest choice.
To me the Tesla advantage, apart from Superchargers and EV experience is the distribution system. IT's not anything close to perfect but it is vastly better than dealers in my opinion. Had Tesla been available in Rio de Janeiro I would have bought a Tesla.

All that said, were I the OP I'd seriously lookout the options before making a decision. Any of the good choices end out with waiting time anyway.

Just had a read through of that thread. Seemed pretty even-handed and fair to me.

To revive and older thread, I can give my opinion based on my experience with a 2014 Model S, 2019 M3P, and Audi e-tron GT, built on the same chassis as the Taycan. After having two Teslas, I wanted to try something different. In short, I hated the e-tron, and after a few months, I sold it back to the dealer and ordered another M3P, which was delivered yesterday. I couldn't be happier to be back.
Positives – The e-tron was well-built, and it certainly looked good. The suspension and handling were ok, not a big deal for me.
Negatives – If I didn’t know it was an electric car from its acceleration, and fake, infuriating synthetic motor whine coming from the speakers with no way to shut it off, there was nothing innovative about the car that made any difference to me. The MMI (infotainment) wasn’t much different from any other Audi, which was equally terrible.
No one-pedal driving, the car would roll without keeping a foot on the brake, just like all their other ICE cars. I was really surprised, I expected that all electric cars would offer this choice.
When approaching the driveway, a dropdown would appear for about two seconds, with a “Press Here” message to open the garage door. If it’s not pressed in time, it goes away and has to be restored from the top menu. Why it doesn’t just open the garage door and fold the mirrors as Tesla does, is beyond me.
The regenerative braking is terrible. It can be adjusted with paddles on the steering wheel, but I never bothered because it didn’t make it any better.
The range and inferior charging network have been discussed often here. Not a big deal for me because we don’t drive on long trips and charge at home every night, but it should be noted for those to whom this is important.
I can go on with this, but in my opinion the e-tron GT is years behind Tesla, and still a work in progress. I would probably have liked it more had I not previously owned two Teslas…maybe.

Legacy manufacturers need a sea change in their software development.

It is a mystery to me why the likes of Audi, Porsche, etc UI/UX is so far behind Tesla in terms of the Ui/UX. I mean, there are countless examples of really high quality apps that exists on the Apple app store, and I'm sure the Google one too, yet the designers behind these systems appear to live in a cave with no experience of them.

I can well believe that the e-Tron UI is a mild evolution of the Audi MMI, which was itself like an app written 10 years ago running on hardware just as old. Sluggish, obstructive, unintuitive garbage. How can it be so hard in 2022 to get this right?

Perhaps the singular greatest thing Tesla have done, beyond the battery/motor efficiency, is stick a UI/UX in the car that is pleasant & slick to use. The other stuff, the "we know better even though this is our first EV" is mind boggling too, e.g. the regen braking.