Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switch to hourly pricing for charging at home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a recommendation for anybody who charges at home to see if they can get a better rate from their electric utility.

Where I live, just north of Chicago, we have the option to switch our billing method with Commonwealth Edison to hourly pricing, rather than paying a flat $.13/kWh at all times. We actually had a greener middleman supplier, where we paid a little more than the standard rate to have all our electric use made up for with green energy credit purchases. I felt a little bad for giving that up, but our grid here is supplied by 68% renewables, so I didn't lose a lot of sleep over that. Even without making any changes to our habits (before getting an EV) switching to hourly pricing saved us about $125 a year, in a 2,400sf house with 5 people.

But it makes a bigger difference when charging a car. Sometimes rates surge as high as $.30/kWh, so I usually check the current rate before I start charging. ComEd has a page where you can see current and past rates in 5 minute intervals so I always just have a tab open on my laptop and/or phone and it takes 2 seconds to check. 95% or more of the time that I check, rates are between 2 and 3¢ a kWh, and once in a while they go negative. When you have to be careful then is during peak usage times – typically hot summer days when everybody has their AC on- so we avoid charging then. But the vast majority of the time, this means I can put 200 miles of range on the car for about $1.50. Tough to beat- except when rates go negative and you get paid a dollar or so to charge, that's fun. The other day rates went negative so I went around and did a load of laundry and ran the dishwasher, really raking it in! (I probably netted 7 or 8¢!)

As I understand it, I am leveraging the concept of peak shaving, which the utility uses to manage a surplus of energy when demand is low: Rates go negative to incentivize industry and (now) homeowners to level out the demand on the grid and match it with the supply, reducing their procurement costs, as it is hard for them to anticipate and manage fluctuations. They can only ramp down energy production so quickly when demand drops, so they pay you to take extra juice off the grid. Decentralization of the grid – the doubling of solar panels on homes in the last three years – will help with this also. (Every time I hear about some cool program ComEd has that seems to benefit the consumer, I dig deeper and find out the state puts these programs into law to compensate for past trangressions- riping off customers, bribery scandals, etc, but I'll take it- among the benefits of living in a blue state with tightly regulated utilities, and guess what, they still manage to make plenty of money.)

So, see if your area has something like this, and if not reach out to a legislator. It's the way of the future.

Our savings are higher than average because my wife has been charging for free at work the last year or so, but still:

IMG_9520.PNG

Negative rates from ComEd.png

This seems to be dynamically set pricing, which is a step beyond typical time-of-use pricing where there are pre-set prices for use at different times of day (high prices during the typical peak hours but lower in off-peak hours). Dynamically set pricing can give much greater swings in price. If users are prepared to check the pricing at the moment before they use electricity, it can be quite advantageous, but those users who do not check before using may get unpleasant surprises.

Reactions: A2be
This pricing structure cries out for a software solution to check the pricing relatively frequently, and only charge when the price is less than XX. But also have a rule to say that the SOC must be at least YY% by a target time - i.e. start charging no matter what the price is if needed to achieve the target minimum SOC
In Belgium and The Netherlands, there’s an app that does exactly that: jedlix.
I don’t know the status of their expansion plans to other parts of the world.
They partner with the utility companies and pay you 1 eurocent/kWh to control the time when you charge. This is also the cheapest rate in your utility contract.

Here we call it spot price contract. Even when you consider the spikes it is usually the cheaper because when energy companies offer a fixed price contract they want it to be low risk for them so the price is usually above the avarage price.

I park my car on a garage that have 80 spots for my neighborhood and I am trying to convince them that for a garage the spot price contract is a must. I usually take around 1h / day charging my car there and it makes zero difference for me if it is at 8pm or 3am. It is a no brainer that cars should be charging during the night most of the time and help to level the energy consumption.

There must be an app that can do that, or maybe you can program it yourself with an IFTTT "action" that checks the spot price then begins charging.

My only other thought other than it being great that you pay so little, is whether you are also including a delivery cost in your total electric cost. Here, we have two costs, delivery and supply. Delivery is about 8c/kWh, while supply is what has been going up, to over 17c/kWh, here. Altogether, it rounds up to 26c/kWh.

I would think, even if electric supply were negative, there'd still be delivery costs, no?

Didn't that billing concept get a lot of people in trouble in Texas a couple of years back when electric rates spiked?
Excerpt from a Wiki Article: State officials including Republican governor Greg Abbott[13] initially blamed[14] the outages on frozen wind turbines and solar panels. Data showed that failure to winterize power sources, like wind turbines and natural gas infrastructure, had caused the grid failure.[15][16] Texas's power grid has long been separate from the two major national grids to avoid federal oversight, though it is still connected to the other national grids and Mexico's;[17] the limited number of ties made it difficult for the state to import electricity from other states during the crisis.[18] Deregulation of its electricity market beginning in the 1990s resulted in competition in wholesale electricity prices, but also cost cutting for contingency preparation.[18].
Source: 2021 Texas power crisis - Wikipedia.

IMHO separation from other grids making importing of power from others was a big strategic mistake for contingency management.

This is a recommendation for anybody who charges at home to see if they can get a better rate from their electric utility.

Where I live, just north of Chicago, we have the option to switch our billing method with Commonwealth Edison to hourly pricing, rather than paying a flat $.13/kWh at all times. We actually had a greener middleman supplier, where we paid a little more than the standard rate to have all our electric use made up for with green energy credit purchases. I felt a little bad for giving that up, but our grid here is supplied by 68% renewables, so I didn't lose a lot of sleep over that. Even without making any changes to our habits (before getting an EV) switching to hourly pricing saved us about $125 a year, in a 2,400sf house with 5 people.

But it makes a bigger difference when charging a car. Sometimes rates surge as high as $.30/kWh, so I usually check the current rate before I start charging. ComEd has a page where you can see current and past rates in 5 minute intervals so I always just have a tab open on my laptop and/or phone and it takes 2 seconds to check. 95% or more of the time that I check, rates are between 2 and 3¢ a kWh, and once in a while they go negative. When you have to be careful then is during peak usage times – typically hot summer days when everybody has their AC on- so we avoid charging then. But the vast majority of the time, this means I can put 200 miles of range on the car for about $1.50. Tough to beat- except when rates go negative and you get paid a dollar or so to charge, that's fun. The other day rates went negative so I went around and did a load of laundry and ran the dishwasher, really raking it in! (I probably netted 7 or 8¢!)

As I understand it, I am leveraging the concept of peak shaving, which the utility uses to manage a surplus of energy when demand is low: Rates go negative to incentivize industry and (now) homeowners to level out the demand on the grid and match it with the supply, reducing their procurement costs, as it is hard for them to anticipate and manage fluctuations. They can only ramp down energy production so quickly when demand drops, so they pay you to take extra juice off the grid. Decentralization of the grid – the doubling of solar panels on homes in the last three years – will help with this also. (Every time I hear about some cool program ComEd has that seems to benefit the consumer, I dig deeper and find out the state puts these programs into law to compensate for past trangressions- riping off customers, bribery scandals, etc, but I'll take it- among the benefits of living in a blue state with tightly regulated utilities, and guess what, they still manage to make plenty of money.)

So, see if your area has something like this, and if not reach out to a legislator. It's the way of the future.

Our savings are higher than average because my wife has been charging for free at work the last year or so, but still:

View attachment 922281
View attachment 922283
I am jealous of your rates. PG&E is killing us here in California.

Attachments

• IMG_2871.jpeg
    IMG_2871.jpeg
    300.7 KB · Views: 315
Reactions: LadyOnikara

View attachment 922281
View attachment 922283
Every penny counts! Luckily for me, our utility has a voluntary program where I elect to only charge my T3 at the low period. It's all automatic. I plug my car in and it only charges when it is off-peak, and I get $30 off my bill per period. I don't have to be on the per-hour plan.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood

View attachment 922281
View attachment 922283
I live in NW Chicago burbs and I tried this about 1-2 years ago. My monthly net electric costs were consistently higher. Maybe I wasn't optimizing daily use.
Without the plan I currently average about $0.14/kWh (supply, delivery, tax). It just doesn't seem worth it to save a few $ per month.

Hello There, I believe anyone who has an EV should research all the options available for them through their electric utility. Here in Augusta Georgia, we have Georgia Power. Georgia power encourages Time of Use (TOU) programs, including their "EV Program". This program charges slightly more than the flat rate for on-peak hours typically around noon - 7pm (.21/kWh), with very reasonable rates for off peak (shoulder hours) (.073/kWh), and an incredible off-peak (11p - 7a) rate of only .015/kWh! Yes, 1.5 CENTS per kWh. If you have smart appliances (water heaters, HVAC systems, washers/dryers and can offload your electrical use as much as possible to the late night hours, you can save even more! I have found that although my usage has gone up about 300 kWh a month due to the Tesla home charging, the rate is virtually unchanged. Great program.

• Informative
Reactions: gtae07 and KenC
I'm in GA on a TOU rate as well, right outside of ATL. My electric rates are unchanged, maybe even a bit lower since I started charging the MY. Considering that I've been running AC in the house half the time, they'd probably be lower if it was middle of winter. Peak rate will run June thru Sept @ .15/KWH from 3 - 8 pm. It's been all off peak since Feb @ .046/kWh. I've already got the schedule set to charge in the wee hours before I leave for work.

I got the car early Feb and I commute daily into ATL. Below is my total amount spent, for well over 2000 miles. Mind you, I'm coming from a thirsty V8 Dodge truck, so the price difference is stark. Hell, I spent that much in half a week filling the tank. Aside from being charged at Tesla when I took delivery, it's only been charged at home. My wife keeps asking why I don't drive the truck anymore.... I tell her it's only for home depot runs. LOL

IMG-0058.png

Reactions: A2be
I wish the backward electric (monopoly) coop that serves us would just offer peak and off peak rates! We have one rate 24/7, that’s just irresponsible to me, no reason for homeowners to help level usage at all. I’ve asked for dual rates and they’re unresponsive. I know for a fact the actual utility (Duke Energy) does have peak/off peak rates - but not our lazy brain dead coop with no power plants of their own…

Here in Augusta Georgia, we have Georgia Power. Georgia power encourages Time of Use (TOU) programs, including their "EV Program".

I'm in GA on a TOU rate as well, right outside of ATL. My electric rates are unchanged, maybe even a bit lower since I started charging the MY.
IMG-0058.png
I wanted to make sure I wouldn't get hosed in the summer with air conditioning loads and such.

So I looked on the NWS Charleston page (our local office), found the "climate plots" (which show you high and low temps vs. averages and extremes) to find what looked like the hottest 31-day period of the year in 2022. Got on Georgia Power and pulled hourly usage data for that period as an excel sheet. Ran the calculations for my current "normal" plan and the TOU plan for that period.

The two priced out within a dollar of each other for normal non-car-charging use. So, I'll absolutely be switching (currently "May-June" EDD).

Then for giggles I ran the numbers for winter (our winter electric bill is usually as high as the summer one because we have a heat pump and my wife gets cold real easy). We had an especially cold period right around Christmas so I used Dec 2022 and the TOU plan came to a $50 savings. It's even better because most of our heat usage is at night when it's super cheap on this plan.

Of course that's just the $/kWh charges and not all the taxes, fees, service charges etc. that I expect are constant between the two.

It also convinced me that I need to make sure to get the full 60A wiring put in for the wall charger given the "super off peak" doesn't start till 2300 and I'm usually leaving the house around 0440... that doesn't leave as much time to charge at super cheap rates.

Hourly charging rates have never been a good thing for consumers and States that do it are nothing short of being legal gangsters. Imagine if gas stations charged to fill a tank by the minute?! All they have to do is slow the pump speed to get more money out of us, the same with electric rates that charge this way.

• Disagree
Reactions: A2be and Rocky_H
Hourly charging rates have never been a good thing for consumers and States that do it are nothing short of being legal gangsters. Imagine if gas stations charged to fill a tank by the minute?! All they have to do is slow the pump speed to get more money out of us, the same with electric rates that charge this way.
One has nothing to do with the other. The benefits of leveling, or not, the power plant load curve during the day has huge implications for utilities and consumers alike. If we don't take advantage of charging EVs off peak as much as possible, the grid will be overwhelmed forcing investment in more power plants and/or running inefficient peakers even more. Charging off peak is not at all inconvenient for most drivers with access to charging at home. EV charging is a great opportunity - if we're collectively smart...

One has nothing to do with the other. The benefits of leveling, or not, the power plant load curve during the day has huge implications for utilities and consumers alike. If we don't take advantage of charging EVs off peak as much as possible, the grid will be overwhelmed forcing investment in more power plants and/or running inefficient peakers even more. Charging off peak is not at all inconvenient for most drivers with access to charging at home. EV charging is a great opportunity - if we're collectively smart...

There's two different things being discussed in this thread. Market driven pricing that results in sudden surge in pricing and regular TOU schedules. It's that market pricing that gets people in trouble and removes incentives for utilities to manage their supply carefully.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H