Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switch to Silver?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered an MSM and recently had my car given to someone else and sent back on line. I just saw a silver on the highway and fell in love. Looks way better then in photos. I know they are discontinuing this color soon so not only would I switch to a more “exclusive” color plus I feel like Tesla might just make all their silver orders next week to be done with them. Should I switch colors? Also has anyone seen a silver model 3 with XPEL stealth added?

• Informative
Reactions: Unknown_Wizard
Someone made of video of their Model 3 getting the XPEL stealth. Skip to 5:30.

Your decision is obviously going to be a personal judgement call. I originally thought I'd get the MSM, but when I saw it in person with the aero wheels, it was just too monochromatic, with the wheel covers having a very similar color to the paint.

The silver is arguably a little "plain", but I like it. On occasion I find myself wishing I had gotten the blue, but then I remember how much more the blue shows dirt and dust, and then I'm happy again with my silver choice. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: jdcollins5
I decided on silver in June. Don't regret it one bit. Getting XPEL Stealth on the whole thing. ;)

Attachments

• xqnpNq0.jpg
    xqnpNq0.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 94
Reactions: Sentry
I’d recommend trying to see what it looks like in person. It’s really hard to get a sense of the color online, as it seems to vary from photographer to photographer. The official photos obviously look great, but some people’s online pictures have a washed out look. I originally placed an order for silver, but after finally seeing one in person, I changed it to obsidian. To me, it was a little lighter than the production photos in person. Finding a car in silver might be hard. My Rocklin Tesla store didn’t have one and I had to go to the San Jose store.

It definitely is a very, very light-bright silver. From some light angles I first thought it was white. I think it looks quite stunning myself and it is my close #2 to white. I first had silver and my wife convinced me to switch to white. I’m not switching back because I’m done playing games, without a 100% confirmed “you will get your car x weeks sooner sir” I would not switch. I just want my car.

Silver is amazing on my P3D+. Some quick reasons:
  • Color masks dirt, dust, swirls, scratches, nicks, dings — very hard to see any of those
  • Reduces your car’s cooling load
  • Subjective, but: I like that it makes the chrome finishes (window trim and door handles) stand out less. I’m not a chrome fan, but also have a tough time with the aftermarket look of a chrome delete. Silver keeps the contrast between chrome and body in check
  • Looks amazing at dusk, dawn, nighttime, and in the rain