Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switched 12V in the funk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

Every search I have run comes up with the 12V that used to be a switched 12V but is now a constant on 12V. It changed over due to a software update to prevent fooling the frunk into opening with the "jumper" system unless the 12V battery is dead... what switched 12V source do people use now if they need one?

Keith

PS: Yes, I know about the power outlet in the center console and that it has a good tap location in the drivers foot well area... I am specifically looking for something in the frunk so I don't have to lead another wire through the grommet in the firewall.

Hey guys,

Every search I have run comes up with the 12V that used to be a switched 12V but is now a constant on 12V. It changed over due to a software update to prevent fooling the frunk into opening with the "jumper" system unless the 12V battery is dead... what switched 12V source do people use now if they need one?

Keith

PS: Yes, I know about the power outlet in the center console and that it has a good tap location in the drivers foot well area... I am specifically looking for something in the frunk so I don't have to lead another wire through the grommet in the firewall.
I also need a 12v switched source in the front of the car. Have you had any luck finding such a source?

In the frunk it’s easy, that’s where the 12v battery is!

Or for one that only switches on when the frunk is open, tap the wires going to the illuminated frunk release button.
I tapped the fog light 12v as I wanted a UI toggle for a concealed forward facing camera! Ignore the Model 3 frame on my Plaid…. 🤣

1C929C58-C19C-47A4-A592-07FA48A41F27.jpeg

938F5740-AA77-4626-9744-1B31D2D425F7.jpeg

Last edited:
In the frunk it’s easy, that’s where the 12v battery is!

Or for one that only switches on when the frunk is open, tap the wires going to the illuminated frunk release button.
Do you know if anyone make a harness with a USB 5v transformer. I would like to keep a jump starter in frunk, to compliment the A23 battery
behind the tow hook cover.

I'm not sure if it helps on a MY, but I'm about to install heated wipers on my 2017 MS, and someone several years ago had told me to use an add-a-circuit to the power steering circuit. Not quite a switched source in the traditional sense, but it would only be powered on after stepping on the brake pedal to drive it, which in my case, is all I need.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc