Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switched from Aero to Sports wheel. TPMS not registering.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
34A4DCCA-B1E5-47F3-A7D2-B363FE73868D.jpeg
01CD07DB-B35D-4DB1-8AE0-DC957A584CDB.jpeg
Hi there. I’ve got a set of lightly used 19’ sports rim along with tires and TPMS sensors from a fellow owner. My car detected the new wheels after about 20 minutes of driving but about 5 minutes after that, the “Tire pressure monitoring system fault” message popped up and none of the sensor had a reading.
The next day on my way to work, 3 of the sensors had a reading with the exception of one. Good sign. I thought they’re getting there but that one never got a reading.
Today on my way to lunch, the readings for all 4 sensors are gone again.

Does anyone who switched from Aero to sports wheel or any wheels have experience in this? I understand it takes time for a sensor to register but it’s been 3 days and almost 300 miles since I put on the wheels. The sensors seems to be going on and off and don’t pick up a signal permanently. The sensors were working when the wheels were taken off and all are Tesla OEM parts. Thanks.

Do you remember how long it took?

Also it’s not showing a reading for any of the sensors when I first got in the car in the morning. Is it always like that? I don’t think I’ve ever checked the tire pressure first thing in the morning.

I've switched from OEM Aero's > 2nd Set of Winter Aero's (TireRack TPMS) > Back to OEM Aero's > OEM 19 Sport (TireRack TPMS) and in every case it prompted once after like 5 minutes of driving and worked perfectly after that.

You could try a Reset TPMS (I forget where it is, but it's a new option) probably under Service. Or just wait to see if it sorts itself out.

You may just have a marginal TPMS or TPMS Pickup, it should just work.

• Informative
Reactions: eCharcoal
Thanks for that. I might give it another week before I look into getting new sensor. I already did the TPMS reset twice. Once after a trip while the tires are warm and once in the morning while the tires are cold.
I’ve read something about manual resetting a sensor by deflating the tire to below 20psi or even lower if no weight is on the tire and rapidly inflate it back to normal pressure. I have yet to try that.

Thanks for that. I might give it another week before I look into getting new sensor. I already did the TPMS reset twice. Once after a trip while the tires are warm and once in the morning while the tires are cold.
I’ve read something about manual resetting a sensor by deflating the tire to below 20psi or even lower if no weight is on the tire and rapidly inflate it back to normal pressure. I have yet to try that.

Any update. I have the exact same issue.

I have the exact same issue, I got sensors from ebay, I tried everything so far with no luck, I lowered the psi on each tire to 37-39psi to try to activate the tpms, but it didnt work and they read in different positions, the one not working is the passenger front tire, but it shows on the driver back. Its funny that yours had the driver back not showing too.
B2996E5C-D208-443A-854E-694A6576BC61.jpeg

In my case the Tesla wasn't picking up the ID on the 4th wheel after aprox. half hour of driving the screen showed only three wheels with pressure with error message still showing. Tire shop scanned the tire with a device and sensor was working with ID number and correct pressure. They replaced the sensor which was not being picked up from the Tesla anyway and then the Tesla found it.

I’m selling to Carvana at 130 tomorrow and I just got the TPMS fault. I drove for 50 miles and no change. I just switched back to my 19” OEM from my 18” OEM. Does anyone know if tire shops can check to see if each sensor is ok? Can I test the sensor myself somehow? I’m switching to a Y and need to sell it ASAP. I’ve done all the resetting that I’ve read about in this forum. Still nothing. Any help is appreciated.

I’m selling to Carvana at 130 tomorrow and I just got the TPMS fault. I drove for 50 miles and no change. I just switched back to my 19” OEM from my 18” OEM. Does anyone know if tire shops can check to see if each sensor is ok? Can I test the sensor myself somehow? I’m switching to a Y and need to sell it ASAP. I’ve done all the resetting that I’ve read about in this forum. Still nothing. Any help is appreciated.

Did they used to work? Are they new sensors? If so what kind?

There are two types. Universal that need to be programmed to the right frequency. And fixed frequency ones (these are the OEM type). If they are working it should just prompt to reset after a few miles.

There is/was a TPMS reset option in the car menu. Did you try that. Tesla keeps changing this stuff and it’s different on 3 vs S/X and varies with Model year.

A good tire shop should be able to sort it out.

Tried the TPMS reset and factory TPMS reset. Everything 100% OEM. I’m hoping the tire shop can help. Going for a drive 7am

You can "activate" the sleeping sensors by deflating (say 5 PSI difference) and reinflating to recommended pressure, then do the Reset TPMS function...then drive to see if it registers.

Your sensors may have been "sleeping" and need to be activated.

• Helpful
Reactions: EVNation