Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switched Order From Y to 3, lost $100

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went to test drive the Model Y this week in Superior CO.... they quoted a wait time for my order (already a month old) as 6+ months and encourage us to consider the Model 3. We agreed to switch to the 3, but they refused to transfer the $100 order deposit. The excuse "Our systems can't do it"... seriously? You can build a technological wonder but crediting $100 on a credit card is beyond your capabilities...

Sorry. Makes sense. That's part of the process you agreed to.

By placing this order, I agree to the Model 3 Order Agreement, Terms of Use, and Privacy Notice.

After you submit your completed order, we will begin the process of preparing and coordinatingyour Vehicle delivery. At this point, you agree that the Order Fee has been earned. If you cancel your order or breach this Agreement and we cancel your order, you agree that we may retain as liquidated damages the Order Fee, to the extent not otherwise prohibited by law.

Reactions: AhwatukeeDad
Sorry. Makes sense. That's part of the process you agreed to.

By placing this order, I agree to the Model 3 Order Agreement, Terms of Use, and Privacy Notice.

After you submit your completed order, we will begin the process of preparing and coordinatingyour Vehicle delivery. At this point, you agree that the Order Fee has been earned. If you cancel your order or breach this Agreement and we cancel your order, you agree that we may retain as liquidated damages the Order Fee, to the extent not otherwise prohibited by law.
Stop it, Akiki! A 6+ wait time for the Y and he was still buying a $50k+ car. Any rational business would give back the $100!

Stop it, Akiki! A 6+ wait time for the Y and he was still buying a $50k+ car. Any rational business would give back the $100!
Oh my goodness. You are so right about this. Let's just decide here and now, any contract - let's say that again - ANY contract that you don't bother to read or decide you don't want to follow or complete, just ignore it. After all, changing our minds are far more important than contracts, he said with sarcasm, dripping from his lower lip and splashing in a big puddle on the floor. :)

Reactions: AhwatukeeDad
Oh my goodness. You are so right about this. Let's just decide here and now, any contract - let's say that again - ANY contract that you don't bother to read or decide you don't want to follow or complete, just ignore it. After all, changing our minds are far more important than contracts, he said with sarcasm, dripping from his lower lip and splashing in a big puddle on the floor. :)
The Tesla he wanted was a 6+ month wait. He did not say that he was walking away. He purchased a Tesla! It' the same company. Please post a pic of your Tesla tattoo. Good god!

Akikiki I understand contracts and agreements so you can stop reposting the legal terms. that's just silly.

Do I have a legal right to have the $100 transfer to the new Model 3 order? No.
Is it really bad business practice for Telsa to not transfer it if the six month delay is excessive and I'm moving to the Model 3 based on their suggestion, Yes.

It is very expensive for Tesla to have customers keep changing their minds and wanting to alter the deal.

They have always used fees to reduce the number of these changes and to recoup some of their costs.

When the changes are free, people seem to want to make lots of changes along the way. When there is some hard cost to the consumer them more often will stick with their original configuration.

Very expensive to coddle people.

Sorry, you are upset. It looked to me from your first post that you were not aware that you agreed to forfeit your order fee. $100 is nothing to what some of us have lost when cancelling an order and reordering when they introduced a feature we missed during our order. Been there.

Yes, this is a problem for Tesla.

Sometimes when Tesla announces an improvement in their production, thousands of people in line may want to cancel their pending order and wait the the next best thing. They may want to do this multiple times. Tesla can get stuck with thousands of in production vehicles that do not yet have the next best thing.
If a new battery pack is forthcoming, an accessory towing hitch, an improved computer...most anything, people will spring into action and cancel their almost delivered cars.

Noticed that lately, Tesla will not even announce a new improvement until the cars have already gone down the line and are in the hands of their customers. The latest was the announcement of the Model S/X +. Elon released the news that the latest upgrades to those cars, which resulted in longer range was going to be updated for free in "recently produced and already delivered customer cars. Saved tons of cancellations.
Still will require owners to go into already busy service centers, but that was better than them sitting on tons of customer cancelled cars.