Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switched Reluctance motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. It's called using an AC synchronous motor in the front.

I'm not sure what the AWD setup has to do with the RWD setup.
Also, the front motor is not an AC synchronous motor (induction or otherwise) in the front. It is standard induction that uses variable slip between stator field and rotor to control torque. A high power synchronous AC motor typically has slip rings to power rotor windings so that the field can exist without needing slip, thus allowing it to track the stator frirld and achieve synchronicity.

I'm not sure what the AWD setup has to do with the RWD setup.
Also, the front motor is not an AC synchronous motor (induction or otherwise) in the front. It is standard induction that uses variable slip between stator field and rotor to control torque. A high power synchronous AC motor typically has slip rings to power rotor windings so that the field can exist without needing slip, thus allowing it to track the stator frirld and achieve synchronicity.

What are your sources?

Reactions: Brando
Nowhere in that article (or the one it links to) does it say synchronous AC induction motor.

It does say
As for the front motor, it will be an AC induction motor, like the Model S and Model X motors.
and S/X are non-synchonous AC induction motors.
Here is an article regarding the S/X motors Tesla's 3-Phase 4-Pole AC Induction Motor -- Why Nikola Tesla’s 19th Century Induction Motor Is The Ideal Choice For The 21st Century Electric Car | CleanTechnica

If you belive them to be the synchronous type, please cite an article that describes the method of exciting the rotor.

Back to the question regarding the statement
i've always equated SR motors to stepper motors, which make their max torque when not moving (all windings energized to hold position), and make little to no torque when actually moving from one position to the next.
Is an incorrect comparison as Stepper and SR/ PMSR with encoder are very different in implementation and performance. Which we can see in the performance of the 3 SR/SR+/MR/LR which only have the PMSR rear motor and achieve impressive performance and economy.
Tesla Model 3 0 To 60 MPH. How Quick It Is Compared To Other Teslas
The semi uses 4 of the same motor type show they do not lack for torque or power.
Sneak peek at Tesla Semi's four Model 3 electric motors and gearbox

So your response of using an AC front motor does not address the post you replied to which asked (of another poster)
I know this is an old thread but I was wondering whether you'd be willing to update your "nearly useless" comments.

The blurb on the S/X refresh talks about

All Model S and X vehicles now benefit from Tesla’s latest generation of drive unit technology, which combines an optimized permanent magnet synchronous reluctance motor, silicon carbide power electronics, and improved lubrication, cooling, bearings, and gear designs to achieve greater than 93% efficiency.

So, PMSwitchRM or PMSynRM? If PMSynRM, is the Model 3 rear engine one of those, or is the S/X front engine a different type yet?

• Funny
Reactions: Brando
The blurb on the S/X refresh talks about

So, PMSwitchRM or PMSynRM? If PMSynRM, is the Model 3 rear engine one of those, or is the S/X front engine a different type yet?
Same motor core (rotor and stator, different drive unit housing) as 3, I believe.
Switched reluctance motors are synchonous as are permanent magnet motors. AC induction motors can be made synchronous or non-synchonous.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
I realise that in this case (with a DC power source converted to some form of AC) it is rather academic, since the “best” name you'd give to the beast depends on the waveforms used to drive the engine, and we're not privy to them.

When is “switching” not “switching”, as soon as you depart from a strict on/off schema?

I was just curious, because I've seen some wild speculations about torque ripple on that engine just based on a knee-jerk reaction to the term “switched reluctance motor”. One that is hard to reconcile with e.g. dynamometer results.

Last edited:
I realise that in this case (with a DC power source converted to some form of AC) it is rather academic, since the “best” name you'd give to the beast depends on the waveforms used to drive the engine, and we're not privy to them.

When is “switching” not “switching”, as soon as you depart from a strict on/off schema?

I was just curious, because I've seen some wild speculations about torque ripple on that engine just based on a knee-jerk reaction to the term “switched reluctance motor”. One that is hard to reconcile with e.g. dynamometer results.
Shrugg?
An AC motor fed from a 3 (or 1) phase supply is not switched. Beyond that, motors are mechanically switched via the commutator, or electrically switched via the inverter/ drive electronics. Steppers can be hard switched vs a more smooth approximated sinusoidal or trapezoidal waveform.

Switched Reluctance Motors
by Joseph Alvarado Oct 17, 2019
Switched Reluctance Motors - Electric Motorcycle

Good technical/practical/historical explanations (even includes Tesla Motors & Elon Musk).
Starting with May 1, 1888 patent by N. Tesla No. 381,968
includes: Franklin, Volta, Maxwell, Oersted, and William Sturgeon

[usual mistake that not all rare earth elements are actually rare (read scarce, not necessarily).]

one of his main sources that he links: Tesla Model 3 Motor — Everything I've Been Able To Learn About It (Welcome To The Machine) | CleanTechnica

• Informative
Reactions: wws