Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switched to Model X reservation. Fingers crossed for sooner rather than later

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been lurking here for months, planning to buy a Model S. For those of you that helped me with all of my questions, thanks!

In the end I decided to place a reservation for a Model X. With three kids SUV just makes more sense.

My real hope: That there will be a X+ performance model!

FYI: Order #8885 today (4/2/14) and enjoying the anticipation of it all! On the phone with Tesla, they said deliveries still scheduled to start "late this year" and that would put my order sometime in Spring '15. I know this is likely to slip, but in no hurry.

Elon said that volume deliveries would be spring of '15. I think they will build mostly Calif. and US destined MX first so you will get your high number Vin before some of the exports get built. Helps to be around SF. I doubt the total output will build 9000 MX by spring. That is 900 Sig and 8000 Prod. Keeping the new models close to home early, like Early MS, is good for early feedback on the fleet. July delivery is more probable.

a new delivery MS 85 parked next to me at the airport yesterday. Thing is, our airport has no plugs so it shows infrastructure is not necessary for large battery EVs to work.

Sounds you want to have more kids. :wink:
Actually, third is on the way. June delivery - no schedule slips. And yes, I'm talking about my third CHILD. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Elon said that volume deliveries would be spring of '15. I think they will build mostly Calif. and US destined MX first so you will get your high number Vin before some of the exports get built. Helps to be around SF. I doubt the total output will build 9000 MX by spring. That is 900 Sig and 8000 Prod. Keeping the new models close to home early, like Early MS, is good for early feedback on the fleet. July delivery is more probable.

a new delivery MS 85 parked next to me at the airport yesterday. Thing is, our airport has no plugs so it shows infrastructure is not necessary for large battery EVs to work.

Hope you're right. It seems to have worked that way for MS, as you say.

I will take delivery at the factory!

- - - Updated - - -

This makes you far smarter and better-adjusted than most people! ;-)

Thanks! I kinda like the anticipation. Won't be too bad to have one while it's still a little bit rare. After a while, I feel like these things will be more common than Honda Civics in the Bay Area.

In the end I decided to place a reservation for a Model X. With three kids SUV just makes more sense.

First of all, congrats! Hope the long wait doesn't prove to be too difficult. Heck, in my short wait after ordering the Model S I upgraded from an S to P, added a bunch of options I previously convinced myself I wouldn't need, and more... ;-) Waits are dangerous!

I understand the three kid issue as I'm in the same boat. Historically our Toyota Sequoia was our everyday family car as it was the only one we could fit all 5 of us (and car seats) into comfortably. The Model S has been AMAZING these last two weekends. We haven't touched the Sequoia...woohoo!!! We comfortably fit the entire family of 5 in the Model S, the kids love the jump seats, and we even dropped the babysitter off the other night with room to spare. So I'm happy to say the Model S is our new everyday family car. And we have plenty of room. Plus, no car/booster seats!!!

I looked at the X and simply don't see how they are going to solve the roof issue if they are going to keep the falcon doors. While the MS is a great everyday car, it doesn't cut it for road trips for us. In the winter we've got skis. In the summer we've got bikes. In the spring we sometimes have BOTH. And that's not including the rest of the bags/luggage...and the dog. So the Sequoia with the Thule roof box is still critical for us. It's not uncommon for us to have the five us in the main seats, the dog and luggage in the cargo area, the Thule box filled with bags, and the hitch mount bike rack with 4 bikes on it. My fear with the X is that it will be positioned as a bit more of a casual cross-over...and not address my issues which are admittedly on the extreme fringe.

So for now I have to be used to the Model S in everyday situations and then still jump into our 14 MPG (ugh) beast for those family road trips! Thankfully the former is 98% more common than the latter! Good luck!

Attachments

• image-1.jpeg
    image-1.jpeg
    486.4 KB · Views: 194
I've been lurking here for months, planning to buy a Model S. For those of you that helped me with all of my questions, thanks!

My real hope: That there will be a X+ performance model!

FYI: Order #8885 today (4/2/14) and enjoying the anticipation of it all! On the phone with Tesla, they said deliveries still scheduled to start "late this year" and that would put my order sometime in Spring '15. I know this is likely to slip, but in no hurry.

My son just placed a deposit for the X as well. Great to see another soon to be EV convert. Wife and I are in our 60s, and the changes in technology today to us is astounding!