Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switching builds from original order to get faster delivery. Pay more or can Tesla honor original price?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered in July with an EDD of October. Perfect because my current lease ends in November. EDD has now slipped into March. I totally understand chip shortages, etc. but I also need a car.

Called Tesla hotline this week to ask for advice. They said that either I change build but pay new pricing OR swap my order for something in the inventory (cancelled order).

Reached out to my SA (who hadn’t been returning my emails/calls) to ask they keep an eye out for cancelled inventory.

They called me saying they had new inventory and I could swap out and receive by end of October. Because of tires, new car was more expensive but I was ok with that. But when I was given final invoice, the base price was the new pricing, 39k vs 42k.

I told them I was not ok with that and I was under the understanding that it was a swap in inventory and not a new order. The new order still has a July order date.

I went to dealership yesterday but SA wasn’t there. Another SA told me that a credit could be applied for to honor the original July price. Then another SA said it wasn’t possible.

So, do I have a chance of getting older pricing honored or no?

Everything I have read here suggests that "any change" to your order manifests as "cancel and re order" thus new pricing. I am not following this closely as I am not in the market, but that seems to be what people have reported.

Will be interesting to see if there are responses suggesting otherwise to this thread.

Reactions: thewishmaster
I wouldn't count on tesla honoring the price if you get an inventory car. Fact is Tesla cars are in such high demand, that they don't need you or me to buy the car. If you don't buy it, someone else will.

I am surprised that your car is getting delayed when you have a July order date. I'd try to see if the delivery date is off, it shouldn't take that long for a July order.

Update and answer to questions posted above.

-Yes, I posted on the correct subform, it's a M3 SR+.
-I talked to everyone I could at Tesla and they all confirmed March, 2022 was the current EDD on my July 2021 order date.

Tesla did not honor the old price. They stated any change is a reorder. As stated above, demand is so high, they hold all the cards.
I bit the bullet and paid the new price. I'm bitter about it now but I'm sure it'll go away once I have the car.

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

• Informative
Reactions: voxel and alset3000