Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switching color after ordering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That would change your order so yes, prices would change and you’d be reshuffled in when your order gets fulfilled.

Tesla builds cars in batches. In other words, it’s not to spec. So they don’t build in order “this one is for Mike, the next is Bill, then Mary, next Jane” …. It’s more like ..

Build cycle …
Monday: White cars, black interior, dual motors
Tuesday morning: White cars, white interiors, dual motors
Tuesday afternoon: Blue cars, white interiors, single motors
… so on and so forth …

… and then they match orders to batches of cars. That’s why they try their best to limit “physical” options (colors, wheels, etc) — for every seemingly minor change, it creates an entire new batch of cars.

So yes - changing your color, for example, would put you in a different “batch”. Possible it could be an earlier batch, or possibly a later one. Hard to tell.

The only thing we really do know is that you’d be re-priced to current prices …

I’m torn on a few different colors but want to get my order placed. If I change my mind later on, do I lose my place in line and do I have to pay a higher price (if prices went up since ordering?

Thanks!

The tesla order agreement (the one you agree to when you order the car and give them the $250 order fee) states: (copied directly from a MVPA):

Tesola Order Change Fee.png

So, tesla says, specifically:

"If you make any changes to your order, you may be subject to potential price increases for any pricing adjustments made since your original order date. Any changes made by you to your vehicle configuration, including changes to the delivery location will be reflected in a subsequent vehicle configuration that will form part of this agreement.

I suggest believing the MVPA that you will sign, vs some people here who may say "I changed it and it was fine". That may be so, but "the agreement" says any changes may reset your price, so that is what you should expect to happen.

Thanks both. I’ll take a bit more time to make sure I might the right color choice before ordering. Hopefully they don’t increase the price again while I ponder this. :)

Note that there is a thread going around in the model Y subforum stating that, in the past couple of weeks, people have been able to change things about their order and keep the same price. Its entirely possible that you might be allowed to do this, but for things like this I like to refer to what the company officially says they will do.

Reactions: voxel
EDD is still the same, but it’s Sunday. I’m sure it will change this week to a later date.

Order date - March 8
Order modified - April 10
EDD May 20-June 24
I called the 800 number and she said I could change to the P for the old/better pricing but she couldn’t guarantee my EDD would stay the same. Ultimately, having zero patience, I will just leave it as is. Maybe I’ll order a P when the LR arrives and then just sell the LR for a profit.

Reactions: JetDriver05
I called the 800 number and she said I could change to the P for the old/better pricing but she couldn’t guarantee my EDD would stay the same. Ultimately, having zero patience, I will just leave it as is. Maybe I’ll order a P when the LR arrives and then just sell the LR for a profit.
This was a few months ago, but when I changed my LR to a P, my delivery time actually moved up quite a bit and I got a VIN in like a week

I ordered on 3/5
Changed from white to red M3P on 4/9
No change in EDD yet May 4 to June 1st
No change in price, old price honored.
What number did you call to change your order, or did you edit the order online? How did you verify no price change? Thinking about changing color, and my current EDD is 5/19-6/19 with no VIN assigned. Ordered 11/15/21, so don’t want to get bumped to current pricing.

What number did you call to change your order, or did you edit the order online? How did you verify no price change? Thinking about changing color, and my current EDD is 5/19-6/19 with no VIN assigned. Ordered 11/15/21, so don’t want to get bumped to current pricing.
It shows you your old and new price Before you hit submit. Then you open a new tab and build a car with the same options. Compare the two.

Reactions: ptf1
I called the location that close to my house asked them turn on the edit function. I was about to change my color and I got a vin 8 days later. No price change other than the $2k for red.