Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switching from 2019 Model 3 SR+ to a 2015 Model S 85D with AP1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am currently driving a 2019 Model 3 SR+ and am about to exchange it for a 2015 Model S 85D with AP1.

I would like to know what I should expect as differences in driving behavior or things that I might regret losing?

The reason for the switch is twofold. First, the resale value of M3s are crazy here in Québec at the moment, I can practically make a profit by selling my M3. Second reason is that I cannot stand phantom braking any longer and figured a AP1 car would solve that for me. Bonus reason, I get All-Wheel-Drive in the deal. ;)

Thanks in advance !

Last edited:
I cannot speak first had to driving behavior, but a couple of things make sure you realize.

Max supercharger charge rates will be much slower. If you do a lot of long range travel, you should expect to see your overall trip time increase due to increased time at each supercharger stop. This is complicated on the 85 packs as some owners have experience much greater charge rate reductions due to Tesla limiting rates to protect the battery from further deterioration.

If the car has not been had the MCU updated from MCU1 to MCU2 then you will have much less functionality (or none depending on your view) for streaming video, display refresh rate loading maps, etc, is dramatically different. You will also lose things like sentry/dash cam functionality as this is not possible on the older AP1 camera setup.

• Informative
Reactions: Valtor
Valtor,

I have a 2015 Model S 70D originally with AP1. We then bought a 2019 Model 3 SR+. Both cars have similar battery and acceleration. The advantage of the Model 3 is that it has more of the technology and bells and whistles. I even upgraded my MCU to MCU2. This is an improvement, but the Model 3 still has additional features that my 2015 Model S will never have. We typically use the Model S for longer trips as it has more room and free supercharging. But the Model 3 definitely charges faster.

Yeah, thanks for the feedback. After all, this might not be such a good idea for me. :) I just seriously cannot stand the phantom braking I get on the roads I have to travel, to the point that I am considering "downgrading" (although upgrade in luxury). But it's to a point now where I am actually looking to go with a Ford Escape Titanium Plug-In with just 60 km of electric range because the adaptive cruise on that thing basically does what AP1 was doing, minus the auto lane changes, and without the existence of phantom braking. So you guys can see how desperate I am. :confused:

Have you considered a MS90D, mid 2016 version as an alternative versus an 85? This still will have the MCU1 limitation such that you'd want to look for one that already has this upgrade or do it yourself. Reason I make this suggestion is at least in my experience, the later 90 packs have not experience the extend of supercharging rate limitation that I hear many comment about for some 85 packs. Yes, the 90 packs have a reputation for maybe some more range degradation than what many quote for 85 packs, but just another option to consider.

I have a mid-June 2016 build MS90D, about right about 63k miles on the odometer. My rated range on a full charge is down from 294 miles originally factory rating to about about 268-269 miles for about 8.5~9% apparent degradation. My supercharging speeds while not up to that of a Model 3, still are reasonable with peak rates in the upper 140kW range. This peak charging rate is actually higher than when my car was new, although the taper curve is a little different. However, the overall balance for me is that supercharging time is as good or potentially even a little shorter than when my car was new.

For reference my historical charging stats would say about 42~43% of my total miles from charging have been via superchargers with the balance being L2 charging at 240V/30~40 amps. Below is a plot showing data from various supercharger sessions this year to give you a sense of the charging taper I see when supercharging.
1635504263891.png

• Informative
Reactions: Valtor
I think you’re nuts.
Phantom braking is a temporary software issue that will eventually be solved, plus new features will get added along the way.
An out of warranty Tesla only gets more expensive as it deteriorates every day.
Hang in there - things will get better!

Reactions: Gumball
I think you’re nuts.
Phantom braking is a temporary software issue that will eventually be solved, plus new features will get added along the way.
An out of warranty Tesla only gets more expensive as it deteriorates every day.
Hang in there - things will get better!
Some will point out the phantom braking with AP2/AP2.5/FSD has persisted for 4 years without being solved. I say 4, even though AP2 was first introduced 5 years ago because it was about a year before those that purchased in late 2016 had any form of autopilot type of functionality even remotely close to what AP1 was.

As for an out of warranty Tesla getting more expensive every day, that does not match my owner experience. My car has been out of warranty for 2 years. So far my only out of pocket expense has been $292 to have one door handle repaired. Honestly, my car was in for more repair visits in the first 3+ years that I owned it while under warranty than in the past 2+ years out of warranty. I know you will find owner experiences that are different, so generalizations like this are dangerous to make.

Maybe I am nuts yeah. :) But I pulled the trigger today and sold my M3 (with profits) and took a 3 year lease on the Titanium Elite PlugIn. I am planning on reentering the BEV world by then. Right now, wait times around here to get a Kia EV6, for example, are 18-24 months. So I'll take a look at the market in a year and prepare my next purchase well in advance. Maybe Tesla will even have fixed my grievances. I just could not let pass this current crazy opportunity (people paying higher prices for used Model 3 than they cost new). I guess I am not the only nut around. ;)

I sold it higher than I paid 2 years ago (and higher than it is sold new today). And yes I'm going back to a PHEV (60 km EV range) for the next 3 years because there are simply no BEV available at the moment around here (with decent range). Anyway, I'll be back to the BEV world before long.

Even if I had wanted to keep an M3, I would have still sold my 2019 to order a brand new M3 for free.