Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switching from a Model 3 Performance to a Model X Plaid, anyone done it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any ragrets?

I'm the "bus driver" for 2 kiddos, 60 miles round trip each day, mostly highway.
I love my 2018 Model 3 Performance but the back seats are starting to get cramped.
The adaptive suspension and ventilated seats are really calling my name, the insane acceleration is just a very VERY nice by product.

We looked at a refresh S Plaid in person but it doesn't really buy much in the way of interior space. The better half was all "what's the difference?" lol. So yeah the S got vetoed. However she's warming up to the 6 seater X. She'd like the option of being able to take her parents or friends with our kids along the ride so there's that.

So yeah, this would be my DD. I've always had lightish, smallish, and nimble cars (2 door Civic, MK7 Golf R, E36 M3, WRX/STi), never SUVs, big sedans, nor trucks. What makes me giggle the most is off the stop light smashing the go pedal. I know the X is a big beast and will feel like one but I'm hoping I can make the compromise since it has such insane acceleration and will be an upgrade from the straight line performance aspect compared to the 3.

Anyone regretted going to an X from a 3?

We are in the same boat! My wife and I currently own a 2020 M3P and just placed an order for the plaid. I love my M3P and its an absolute beast but its good for max two adults and our dog who takes up the entire back seat haha. We don’t have kids but want a car that is future proof (at least for 4-5 years). Having said that, I am also wondering if I should consider a 2020 MX which is 40-45K cheaper than the plaid.

We had a X and 3 at the same time. Very different vehicles. By comparison the X is big and ponderous in the corners and traffic. But in a straight line the X is amazingly fast off the line and can chew up highway miles with ease and in greater comfort.

FWIW, the 6 seater is not as good as the 5 and 7 for hauling kid stuff around. The second row seats do not fold flat like the 5 and I believe in the 7-seater.

Reactions: Bigriver
I am in the same boat as well. Currently have a 2020 M3P and i love it but with 2 kids and a 3rd on the way, it’s way too small. I was able to persuade my Wife for the plaid so I’m super excited to be getting one (whenever that would be). Placed the order at the beginning of Jan this year. Anyone interested in a mint condition 2020 M3P with only 17k miles? :)

I'm with jboy210. I also have a 2018 M3P (before that I had a S P90DL, before that a Roadster) and my wife has been driving an X - not Plaid - for over 4 years (before that she had an S).

For daily driving by myself, ugh, I avoid the X. Too ponderous in the corners and hard to park. My M3P is just the right tool, better than the Roadster and S Performance. I just love driving that thing.

But for road trips, the X has a ton of advantages. We take it, and I have to drive more sedately with my wife in the car anyway, so it's perfect for that - I enjoy the X then.

Your highway trips with kids in the car may be closer to "road trip" driving, so I think it will be mostly fine. But when you are driving around town without the kids, you may have a hard time. Maybe, we are all different - my wife loves driving the X as a daily driver, even though before the S she always drove pretty small cars. I love carving corners, but maybe you are happy with just accelerating in straight lines? I guess that describes my wife, which is why she likes the X - she does like accelerating from a stoplight, but hates going fast in corners.

Any ragrets?

I'm the "bus driver" for 2 kiddos, 60 miles round trip each day, mostly highway.
I love my 2018 Model 3 Performance but the back seats are starting to get cramped.
The adaptive suspension and ventilated seats are really calling my name, the insane acceleration is just a very VERY nice by product.

We looked at a refresh S Plaid in person but it doesn't really buy much in the way of interior space. The better half was all "what's the difference?" lol. So yeah the S got vetoed. However she's warming up to the 6 seater X. She'd like the option of being able to take her parents or friends with our kids along the ride so there's that.

So yeah, this would be my DD. I've always had lightish, smallish, and nimble cars (2 door Civic, MK7 Golf R, E36 M3, WRX/STi), never SUVs, big sedans, nor trucks. What makes me giggle the most is off the stop light smashing the go pedal. I know the X is a big beast and will feel like one but I'm hoping I can make the compromise since it has such insane acceleration and will be an upgrade from the straight line performance aspect compared to the 3.

Anyone regretted going to an X from a 3?

I DD my X and love it, but I've always loved big cars or, really sporty ones. Don't get too excited about the vented seats, at least on my 16, they barely work.

If you utilize any supercharging the 3 is a superior battery. Expect a much slower charge rate.

I DD my X and love it, but I've always loved big cars or, really sporty ones. Don't get too excited about the vented seats, at least on my 16, they barely work.

If you utilize any supercharging the 3 is a superior battery. Expect a much slower charge rate.
Don't the 2019 and on Xs Supercharge at similar rate to the 3/Y?

Edit: Never mind. Just found the thread about slowing earlier than the 3/Y

Last edited:
What ngng said. Coming from a 2018 Model 3 LR RWD to a 2017 Model X 100D, that was my biggest adjustment; well, that and the speed in which you can take curves and off ramps. I was always a small car/small SUV owner but stepping up in size to the X was a quick learning curve. It really feels so much more substantial on the highway. I don't have small kids, but they'll love the FWDs and you'll love the ease of getting them in and out of the car.

I have a Model 3 LR RWD and a P90D X, and I prefer driving the X always. It has the best windshield view, ride comfort, seat comfort, sound system, larger touchscreen, dual screens, nicer steering wheel, and auto-presenting driver door. And no cheap strip of wood across the entire dash like on the 3. Even on twisty roads in the mountains, the X is awesome (although not as good as the 3). A few things better on the 3 are exterior looks, handling, and efficiency (which only matters for road trip supercharging). I actually think the X is the best car on earth despite its problems (ride comfort and cabin noise isolation are just average, especially pre-Raven).

Did a test drive on a used 2020 MX LR today and left the dealership with mixed feelings. Although I loved the wide windshield views and suspension on the X LR, it didn’t have the spunk of a performance. I missed my M3P as I was doing my test drive. Couldn’t wait to get back in my 3P and drive away haha. Looks like nothing less than a plaid will satisfy my daily driving needs 😬

Did a test drive on a used 2020 MX LR today and left the dealership with mixed feelings. Although I loved the wide windshield views and suspension on the X LR, it didn’t have the spunk of a performance. I missed my M3P as I was doing my test drive. Couldn’t wait to get back in my 3P and drive away haha. Looks like nothing less than a plaid will satisfy my daily driving needs 😬
Don't forget, the refreshed X 0-60 LR is a full second faster than my 2018. (3.8 vs 4.8). If you test-drove a 75, or if it was in Chill mode, it will be even more.

For 0 to 60, I think the 2020 Model X LR is about 4.4 seconds. My 2016 P90D Ludicrous+ X will supposedly go 0 to 60 in 3.3 seconds, but only if I move suspension to "Low", set Ludicrous+ and wait for battery to warm up, then go through launch sequence with pedals. It's awesome and feels like a roller coaster, even if flooring it at low speeds anytime. If coming from Model 3 Performance, I guess you should only test drive the Performance X. Also note that you won't have fast acceleration with the X above 60mph unless you get the Plaid. On my P90DL if you floor it when already going 60mph, the acceleration is just OK, compared to previous Lexus V8 I had.

Don't forget, the refreshed X 0-60 LR is a full second faster than my 2018. (3.8 vs 4.8). If you test-drove a 75, or if it was in Chill mode, it will be even more.
Yeah that makes sense but for reference, I test drove a 2020 LR not the 75D and was driving in sport mode. I guess my issue wasn’t with the acceleration but more so do to with the cheer hugeness of the car and how sluggish it felt on corners compared to my 3P. I think 3P is a drivers car and is so much easier to maneuver around than the X but the X has a bigger appeal in terms of hauling more than 4 adults. I wanted to justify whether spending the extra 40k on the plaid was worth it than just buying a used 2020 MX and calling it a day. I’m still not sure whether it is or isn’t but I’ll just get the plaid and shut up for good 6-7 years 😬. Fingers crossed