Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switching from a Model 3 Performance to a Model X Plaid, anyone done it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I should probably get my butt in a Refresh on the local FB group to see if I'm immediately gonna hate the driving characteristics and higher seat position with the X.

Kinda weird how the X reviewers can go from OMG THIS HANDLES AMAZING!, ie Vehicle Virgins "Pretty impressive grip for such a heavy car. Limited body roll too, wow! I'm impressed with they way this handles!"
@ 11:59

To OMG THIS IS NOT SAFE!, ie Tesla Plaid Channel "Out here it feels unstable as hell" as he's doing a 1/8 mile drag pass.
@ 6:23

I'm hoping I'll be somewhere in the middle, ie Complete Street Performance who went from Plaid S to a Plaid X "It does not handle the same, the Model S Plaid feels like it's on rails compared to this thing, I mean, you're definitely driving a SUV, I don't know why I was expecting anything different, it's a SUV"
@ 5:40

It's stability when accelerating hard is not very inspiring when comparing to the S, which is what the TPC guys is used to driving. It's far more impressive at constant speeds around the corners, for it's size, with the right suspension settings.

Last edited:
Oh I won't go full retard, you never go full retard. I have a few auto-x's under my belt and I for sure know that I ain't even getting anywhere remotely close to the limits with what I call my 'spirited' driving on street roads. However I might go semi retard taking a highway clover @ 40-50+ mph, and then the occasional emergency lane change on the highway. I know it'll sway more than my 3, the question is will it still be in my comfort / confidence zone.
The limits are pretty close on the front end of an X. It’s got shockingly little front grip when you’re asking it to turn and accelerate at the same time. But low grip can be fun to manage if you’re able to tell what’s going on, and it definitely gives you plenty of feedback imo, and I’ve never even tried the 22’s.

Otherwise it’s a Tesla, it will both disappoint and exceed your expectations! all aboard the emotional rollercoaster!

Reactions: sorka
So I've got a 2019 Model 3 Long Range, and a 2020 Model X Long Range+.

Love both of them dearly, and for different reasons.

Model 3 is my toy car. It's like wearing a sedan - fun to drive, low to the ground, absolutely a blast to get around town in.
Model X is the family hauler. It's our go-everywhere, do-everything vehicle. From towing our camper to road tripping across the USA and everything in between. It's awakened our love affair - seeing the USA in our Chevrolet Tesla. Sorry GM, Model X even beats your Suburbans and Tahoes.

What's incredible to me is that both have almost exactly the same 0-60 times. Model 3 is violent about it - you punch it, you know it, you feel it. Model X is fast, but refined. Just as fast as the 3, but glides along as it does so. You don't get that visceral reaction at all; but you know there's nothing on the road stopping you from merging in, either.

It's been fantastic for us.

Especially our X, the "Raven" model, is a bit of a faberge egg. It's never left me on the side of the road, but tends to have little things that need attention. Just a very complex beast of a vehicle. The 3, however, has been what I'd call completely rock solid. (Had the upper control arms replaced, but that was just an annoying sound, and really a non-issue.)

So I'll play the Net Promoter Score question ...

"On a scale of 1-10, how likely are you to recommend Model X to a friend or colleague?"

My answer: 13

As long as you understand what you're getting into, it's amazing. It'll annoy you occasionally, but that's kinda-sorta part of the journey. Beyond that though, it's THE vehicle. There's absolutely nothing else like it on the planet.

A super benefit of the Model X is that it has lots of different settings, that can be changed from time to time to provide different driving experiences.

While never as nimble as a Model 3 or Miata, the adaptable air suspension can be lowered to corner flatter, shocks firmed up to control body roll and steering set to sport to give additional feedback and feel. After canyon carving, the ride can be raised, the steering set to comfort and the shocks set to soft to give a cushion ride on a boring ride home :)

Even better, you can set it to auto. This will change the ride characteristics as you cruise. When driving at relatively slow speeds and not cornering aggressively, the ride will be soft and quiet. As you speed up, and the road gets curvy, the shocks will firm up automatically and you will find youreself carving high speed sweepers with control and confidence.

An other benefit is that owners can lower their suspensions to provide better range at high speeds by improving aero, or just to look better with a lower stance. Alternatively, the suspension can be raised several inches to provide additional ground clearance for mild off roading, in heavy snow, or to avoid scraping in steep driveways or speed bumps.

Believe this is the most sophisticated and flexible suspension system offered in any Tesla currently.

The Raven suspension is just sorta-ok when it comes to body control and ride. It clearly has too little travel for its lowest settings, and gets stiff-legged in its higher settings as the bladders fill up. Comfort + low over roads with a lot of undulation = 96 civic with cut springs and stock shocks, though of course body control gets better in Sport or Automatic, you're often in comfort if you're like me an use the "comfort in autopilot" setting. It's a lot better than the pre-Raven, but it's still one of the places I'm most anxious to try a refresh car, as I feel it's the place where they had the biggest opportunities to improve it. Hopefully yoke development didn't divert their attention from what's important...

Reactions: DelPhonic1
Any ragrets?

I'm the "bus driver" for 2 kiddos, 60 miles round trip each day, mostly highway.
I love my 2018 Model 3 Performance but the back seats are starting to get cramped.
The adaptive suspension and ventilated seats are really calling my name, the insane acceleration is just a very VERY nice by product.

We looked at a refresh S Plaid in person but it doesn't really buy much in the way of interior space. The better half was all "what's the difference?" lol. So yeah the S got vetoed. However she's warming up to the 6 seater X. She'd like the option of being able to take her parents or friends with our kids along the ride so there's that.

So yeah, this would be my DD. I've always had lightish, smallish, and nimble cars (2 door Civic, MK7 Golf R, E36 M3, WRX/STi), never SUVs, big sedans, nor trucks. What makes me giggle the most is off the stop light smashing the go pedal. I know the X is a big beast and will feel like one but I'm hoping I can make the compromise since it has such insane acceleration and will be an upgrade from the straight line performance aspect compared to the 3.

Anyone regretted going to an X from a 3?
None whatsoever, I have the X Plaid and gave. up on getting FSD beta - had a 99 score for over a month, so I kept my Performance 3 which has FSD beta so it's a keeper for the beta...

Just stumbled across this thread. I have a 19M3P now and trading in for a new MXPlaid. I’ve had a range of different cars/trucks/SUVs and am really looking forward to the new MX. i find the M3P fun to drive but it’s a bit harsh and loud on freeways and here in TX majority of the vehicles are larger trucks/SUVs plus the higher speed limits (80). Think the MX will be a better fit. Also have three kids 14/11/9 so school drops will be easier especially with their gear.

OP here. Completely forgot to update this thread! Oops.

Back in June I had to take my 3 into service since the AC wasn't working. Long story short I had a '17 100D loaner for almost 2 weeks. 😍

I fell in love, HARD! So much so that I ended up detailing it the first weekend I had it, yes I'm mental! 🤪
05144213672274296194.jpg

Even though this thing didn't have adaptive suspension, was a bit boaty, had wood trim that was cracked, FWD that rubbed the paint off the door jambs, a MCU that was yellowed around the edges and slow as molasses to input, was something like 1.5 seconds slower to 60mph than my 3, had stalks for days on the steering wheel column that took some time to get used to, and a center console that was pretty worthless for storing drinks or stuff, I friggen adored the thing!

I seriously didn't want to return it. Neither did my family. Kids absolutely LOVED all the extra space they had in the back. I loved the higher seat position, made it easier to get into. That windshield is amazing. We loaded up the kids in the 3rd row and the grandparents in the middle row and we all felt comfortable.

About the biggest con I could come up with is is my garage is now CRAMPED. I have to park it like 1 inch from my garage door if I want any sort of space between the front of the X and my work bench :( FWD in a garage and us all trying to get out at the same time is like trying to coordinate a Jenga puzzle with 3 people. When my daughter behind me opens up her FWD, it makes it a PITA for me to exit the driver side door. I have to crouch and bend and duck all over the place. No fun at all. I think the solution to that is to just have my daughter follower her brother and exit out the passenger side. Another con is I can't open up the hatch all the way while the X is in the garage. This made unloading groceries a pain since I had to duck under the hatch to grab the bags. The solution to that will be for me to either use the frunk for bag duty or just unload the X outside of the garage.

All in all it was a great experience and solidified my choice of upgrading to the X. Once I got back into my 3 I was amazed at just how LOUD the road noise was. Like to the point I pondered how I lived with all the noise before. Having my butt 2 inches off the ground and also cramped took a bit of time to adjust. The Model 3 felt like a toy car compared to the X.

I'm picking up my Plaid here in a week, can't wait!

OP here. Completely forgot to update this thread! Oops.

Back in June I had to take my 3 into service since the AC wasn't working. Long story short I had a '17 100D loaner for almost 2 weeks. 😍

I fell in love, HARD! So much so that I ended up detailing it the first weekend I had it, yes I'm mental! 🤪
05144213672274296194.jpg

Even though this thing didn't have adaptive suspension, was a bit boaty, had wood trim that was cracked, FWD that rubbed the paint off the door jambs, a MCU that was yellowed around the edges and slow as molasses to input, was something like 1.5 seconds slower to 60mph than my 3, had stalks for days on the steering wheel column that took some time to get used to, and a center console that was pretty worthless for storing drinks or stuff, I friggen adored the thing!

I seriously didn't want to return it. Neither did my family. Kids absolutely LOVED all the extra space they had in the back. I loved the higher seat position, made it easier to get into. That windshield is amazing. We loaded up the kids in the 3rd row and the grandparents in the middle row and we all felt comfortable.

About the biggest con I could come up with is is my garage is now CRAMPED. I have to park it like 1 inch from my garage door if I want any sort of space between the front of the X and my work bench :( FWD in a garage and us all trying to get out at the same time is like trying to coordinate a Jenga puzzle with 3 people. When my daughter behind me opens up her FWD, it makes it a PITA for me to exit the driver side door. I have to crouch and bend and duck all over the place. No fun at all. I think the solution to that is to just have my daughter follower her brother and exit out the passenger side. Another con is I can't open up the hatch all the way while the X is in the garage. This made unloading groceries a pain since I had to duck under the hatch to grab the bags. The solution to that will be for me to either use the frunk for bag duty or just unload the X outside of the garage.

All in all it was a great experience and solidified my choice of upgrading to the X. Once I got back into my 3 I was amazed at just how LOUD the road noise was. Like to the point I pondered how I lived with all the noise before. Having my butt 2 inches off the ground and also cramped took a bit of time to adjust. The Model 3 felt like a toy car compared to the X.

I'm picking up my Plaid here in a week, can't wait!
The FWDs are a pain if you don't have high ceilings or extra space on the side in the garage. When we use them, we pull the car out of the garage and then load people.

Also, when I drive our 3 it reminds me why we got the X. The seating position in the X is so much easier on my back and I am not stiff after a couple of hours.

BTW, amazing to see someone washing their car at home. Here in the West, we are in such a severe drought that is unheard of.

I power wash the wheels/wheel wells only if they're super gunked up and also apply/scrub an all purpose cleaner on the tires to remove the old tire gel/dirt.

I normally just do the Optimum No Rinse 2 gallon method in my garage. Surely you could go that route and not get a citation?

I power wash the wheels/wheel wells only if they're super gunked up and also apply/scrub an all purpose cleaner on the tires to remove the old tire gel/dirt.

I normally just do the Optimum No Rinse 2 gallon method in my garage. Surely you could go that route and not get a citation?
No idea on getting a citation. But since we are the 3rd year of drought, we cannot water our lawns more than a few minutes 2 times a week. Most people's lawns are brownish green, not solid green like yours. They also enforce this by drastically increasing the water rates. Last bill was $400 for 3 months.

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
there's no good way around the fact that moving around the world requires a lot of energy. Especially when everyone wants to drive a tank. I think EV's are fabulous as in city commuters, but as a do everything car? Definitely not there yet.

100% agree there. I see EV’s still more of a city car. I’m commuting back home around 300 miles/500km today and while there are a few SC’s along the route, I have to charge up my car this morn early at a SC near the hotel for 25 min, then have to plan the actual stop and the 25-30 min charge to reach home. On a long weekend Monday, normal 5 hr drive is already going to be 7 hrs without the added delay.

Sometimes I just want to fill er’up with a 400-450 mile range and know that my ice car will get me home… no stops, no advance planning amd you get the exact miles you paid for.

Then I wake up to the fact I made this 600 mile trip for free as I had some SC credits lol.

It’s a trade off but at times I miss my hybrid Toyota highlander and my old Diesel X5. Just for occasions like this.

there's no good way around the fact that moving around the world requires a lot of energy. Especially when everyone wants to drive a tank. I think EV's are fabulous as in city commuters, but as a do everything car? Definitely not there yet.
Tutuapp
9Apps
Showbox

It’s a lot more than a city commuter car …

All things to all people? No. But don’t undersell it, either.

We’ve been all over the country, in all kinds of weather, in ours, both with and without a trailer in tow.

Attachments

• 18119B10-D6F0-49A3-8D0F-47B83232EE5B.jpeg
    18119B10-D6F0-49A3-8D0F-47B83232EE5B.jpeg
    856.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 048164DD-CE0B-4105-8971-63F3C23E000F.jpeg
    048164DD-CE0B-4105-8971-63F3C23E000F.jpeg
    637.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 806A29A4-CF14-4E0E-BF7C-8D1C39F99E31.jpeg
    806A29A4-CF14-4E0E-BF7C-8D1C39F99E31.jpeg
    721.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 19DD7D47-2949-4623-92B4-997CA056A53D.jpeg
    19DD7D47-2949-4623-92B4-997CA056A53D.jpeg
    184.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 146766EA-6A74-46F6-A23D-CCF96AB0FC7B.jpeg
    146766EA-6A74-46F6-A23D-CCF96AB0FC7B.jpeg
    517.1 KB · Views: 35
I guess it depends on what you mean by "do everything." For us, we have two EVs, both Teslas. We do have a motorhome that is ICE based. But that is for special excursions. The only thing we cannot do with the Teslas is tow it behind the motorhome.

placed an order for an X Plaid last week... why is it being delivered next week?lol i just got my final MPP part installed on the 3.(compression rod bearing)

my 19M3P has MPP coilovers, FUCA, camber/toe arms, brake lines and brace, smash me skid, and compression rod/ lower control arm bearings, UP swaybars, and 19lb forged apex wheels......

best handling car I have ever driven... maybe the best 4 doors 4 fun!
18k mile MPP M3P 2019 for sale :(

I wanted more time. haha

wife says Im not allowed to touch the new X Plaid... and im thinking to myself "but efficiency will be the death of me with those 20 inch anything but MPS4S tires..."

at least i can tuck a jack in the trunk and throw on some spacers at work ahahahaha

We have my 2018 Model 3 Performance and recently received our 2022 Model X LR. Different cars with different purposes, but both are awesome for what they can do. There's nothing we do that both cars can't handle.

That said, the Refresh, at least the Plaid (I'm assuming it's the same as refresh) is shockingly compliant in the twisties IF you goto very low and sport or advanced.
I agree. I have a M3P, but I am not any faster in it compared to my X plaid on my favorite backroads; in fact, I can sense some magic happening with the suspension (in the X) that makes the car insanely confidence inspiring when entering a corner. Also, the X does a tremendous job of carrying that momentum through the corner and the best part is the exit, when you can almost mash the accelerator pedal and it just does its magic (torque vectoring?).

Of course for this, you need to be in very low and either sport or advanced w/ comfort and handling dialed all the way to high.

Now, the thing I miss the most when I drive the X compared to the M3P is how insanely controlled the 3 is during rapid transitions (rapid slaloms or the moose test kind of maneuvers). The 3 is stock except for forged 20'' wheels (245 & 285 tires) and Eibach sway bars at full stiff. The X, not so much. The best way to explain it is the body motions overlap; so, you take a fast left, then, immediately a fast right, and that upsets the balance of the car -- especially the rear. It's almost like the previous motion did not complete its cycle and I start a new one -- if that makes sense. Again, a use case like this is pretty rare for most people unless you are an auto cross, but I love slaloms at legal speeds on 2-lane empty roads.

But then, I remind myself that the X paid is 1300+ pounds more than 3P; so there is only so much you can do to defeat physics. But, I must admit that I was pleasantly shocked to see how Tesla managed to get the X plaid to handle the way it is (the LR must be the same). In fact, check out this video where someone auto crossed their X plaid and was only ~2 seconds behind some cars that are half the weight.

Finally, if there is one thing I do not like the most on the X plaid are the brakes and how they take a lot of effort to respond and the stopping power and the confidence just isn't there. I mean they will stop from any speed, but the confidence is just isn't there during spirited driving.

Reactions: sorka