Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The latest TMC Podcast (#14) is now available on YouTube and all major podcast networks. We covered FSD Beta's exciting v11 update, Enhanced Autopilot coming to the U.S. and Canada, and more!

Switching from a Model 3 Performance to a Model X Plaid, anyone done it?

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
Yeah, I should probably get my butt in a Refresh on the local FB group to see if I'm immediately gonna hate the driving characteristics and higher seat position with the X.

Kinda weird how the X reviewers can go from OMG THIS HANDLES AMAZING!, ie Vehicle Virgins "Pretty impressive grip for such a heavy car. Limited body roll too, wow! I'm impressed with they way this handles!"
@ 11:59

To OMG THIS IS NOT SAFE!, ie Tesla Plaid Channel "Out here it feels unstable as hell" as he's doing a 1/8 mile drag pass.
@ 6:23

I'm hoping I'll be somewhere in the middle, ie Complete Street Performance who went from Plaid S to a Plaid X "It does not handle the same, the Model S Plaid feels like it's on rails compared to this thing, I mean, you're definitely driving a SUV, I don't know why I was expecting anything different, it's a SUV"
@ 5:40

It's stability when accelerating hard is not very inspiring when comparing to the S, which is what the TPC guys is used to driving. It's far more impressive at constant speeds around the corners, for it's size, with the right suspension settings.

Last edited:
Oh I won't go full retard, you never go full retard. I have a few auto-x's under my belt and I for sure know that I ain't even getting anywhere remotely close to the limits with what I call my 'spirited' driving on street roads. However I might go semi retard taking a highway clover @ 40-50+ mph, and then the occasional emergency lane change on the highway. I know it'll sway more than my 3, the question is will it still be in my comfort / confidence zone.
The limits are pretty close on the front end of an X. It’s got shockingly little front grip when you’re asking it to turn and accelerate at the same time. But low grip can be fun to manage if you’re able to tell what’s going on, and it definitely gives you plenty of feedback imo, and I’ve never even tried the 22’s.

Otherwise it’s a Tesla, it will both disappoint and exceed your expectations! all aboard the emotional rollercoaster!

Reactions: sorka

dmurphy

Supporting Member
So I've got a 2019 Model 3 Long Range, and a 2020 Model X Long Range+.

Love both of them dearly, and for different reasons.

Model 3 is my toy car. It's like wearing a sedan - fun to drive, low to the ground, absolutely a blast to get around town in.
Model X is the family hauler. It's our go-everywhere, do-everything vehicle. From towing our camper to road tripping across the USA and everything in between. It's awakened our love affair - seeing the USA in our Chevrolet Tesla. Sorry GM, Model X even beats your Suburbans and Tahoes.

What's incredible to me is that both have almost exactly the same 0-60 times. Model 3 is violent about it - you punch it, you know it, you feel it. Model X is fast, but refined. Just as fast as the 3, but glides along as it does so. You don't get that visceral reaction at all; but you know there's nothing on the road stopping you from merging in, either.

It's been fantastic for us.

Especially our X, the "Raven" model, is a bit of a faberge egg. It's never left me on the side of the road, but tends to have little things that need attention. Just a very complex beast of a vehicle. The 3, however, has been what I'd call completely rock solid. (Had the upper control arms replaced, but that was just an annoying sound, and really a non-issue.)

So I'll play the Net Promoter Score question ...

"On a scale of 1-10, how likely are you to recommend Model X to a friend or colleague?"

My answer: 13

As long as you understand what you're getting into, it's amazing. It'll annoy you occasionally, but that's kinda-sorta part of the journey. Beyond that though, it's THE vehicle. There's absolutely nothing else like it on the planet.

A super benefit of the Model X is that it has lots of different settings, that can be changed from time to time to provide different driving experiences.

While never as nimble as a Model 3 or Miata, the adaptable air suspension can be lowered to corner flatter, shocks firmed up to control body roll and steering set to sport to give additional feedback and feel. After canyon carving, the ride can be raised, the steering set to comfort and the shocks set to soft to give a cushion ride on a boring ride home :)

Even better, you can set it to auto. This will change the ride characteristics as you cruise. When driving at relatively slow speeds and not cornering aggressively, the ride will be soft and quiet. As you speed up, and the road gets curvy, the shocks will firm up automatically and you will find youreself carving high speed sweepers with control and confidence.

An other benefit is that owners can lower their suspensions to provide better range at high speeds by improving aero, or just to look better with a lower stance. Alternatively, the suspension can be raised several inches to provide additional ground clearance for mild off roading, in heavy snow, or to avoid scraping in steep driveways or speed bumps.

Believe this is the most sophisticated and flexible suspension system offered in any Tesla currently.

Reactions: sorka
The Raven suspension is just sorta-ok when it comes to body control and ride. It clearly has too little travel for its lowest settings, and gets stiff-legged in its higher settings as the bladders fill up. Comfort + low over roads with a lot of undulation = 96 civic with cut springs and stock shocks, though of course body control gets better in Sport or Automatic, you're often in comfort if you're like me an use the "comfort in autopilot" setting. It's a lot better than the pre-Raven, but it's still one of the places I'm most anxious to try a refresh car, as I feel it's the place where they had the biggest opportunities to improve it. Hopefully yoke development didn't divert their attention from what's important...

SeaDoc

2018 P3 on FSD Beta & 2022 X Plaid FSD
Dec 31, 2016
Palm Desert, CA
Any ragrets?

I'm the "bus driver" for 2 kiddos, 60 miles round trip each day, mostly highway.
I love my 2018 Model 3 Performance but the back seats are starting to get cramped.
The adaptive suspension and ventilated seats are really calling my name, the insane acceleration is just a very VERY nice by product.

We looked at a refresh S Plaid in person but it doesn't really buy much in the way of interior space. The better half was all "what's the difference?" lol. So yeah the S got vetoed. However she's warming up to the 6 seater X. She'd like the option of being able to take her parents or friends with our kids along the ride so there's that.

So yeah, this would be my DD. I've always had lightish, smallish, and nimble cars (2 door Civic, MK7 Golf R, E36 M3, WRX/STi), never SUVs, big sedans, nor trucks. What makes me giggle the most is off the stop light smashing the go pedal. I know the X is a big beast and will feel like one but I'm hoping I can make the compromise since it has such insane acceleration and will be an upgrade from the straight line performance aspect compared to the 3.

Anyone regretted going to an X from a 3?
None whatsoever, I have the X Plaid and gave. up on getting FSD beta - had a 99 score for over a month, so I kept my Performance 3 which has FSD beta so it's a keeper for the beta...

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC