Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switching from Audi...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For what it's worth, I had a 2016 MS (facelift), and my 2019 BMW 3 series is much better built, much less road noise, better tech (compared to MCU1), etc. I am guessing the BMW is built similar to what you are used to in the Audi. I know build quality is better in the 2021+ and assume that a 2017 is better than my 2016, but you definitely should do a test drive. Try doing a CarMax 24 hour test drive with the models you are looking at so you can see if it will work for you (assuming they still offer those).

Just picked up my 22 MS LR and have owned many Audi's and currently own 2. In terms of ride quality, interior fit and finish, NVH and overall refinement Audi has it hands down. The new models are getting closer but at highway speeds you begin to hear a lot of road noise. In terms of infotainment and autopilot Tesla has it hands down. I have a 2022 RSQ8 and my MS blows it out of the water in terms of infotainment, its a joke. My RSQ8 has 'autopilot' and it works rather well, but its not as feature rich as the one in the Tesla plus you can upgrade to EAP or FSD. There's pros and cons to both brands its what you value the most. For me if something bothers me about one car I hope in the other and I'm content.

Reactions: SoCal Buzz
For what it's worth, I had a 2016 MS (facelift), and my 2019 BMW 3 series is much better built, much less road noise, better tech (compared to MCU1), etc. I am guessing the BMW is built similar to what you are used to in the Audi. I know build quality is better in the 2021+ and assume that a 2017 is better than my 2016, but you definitely should do a test drive. Try doing a CarMax 24 hour test drive with the models you are looking at so you can see if it will work for you (assuming they still offer those).
Funny you mention carmax’s 24 hour test drive. My local carmax had the new model s and was offering a 24 hour test drive, so I signed up online, next day I go in and the car wasn’t charged, it was at 6% SOC. So I wait an hour for it to charge some, I’m thinking that’ll get me to a supercharger and I’ll charge up there, they hand me the keys and say I got 15 minutes… no 24 hour test drive, they’re not sure how or where the miscommunication happened but all they know is that it’s not a 24 hour test drive.

Funny you mention carmax’s 24 hour test drive. My local carmax had the new model s and was offering a 24 hour test drive, so I signed up online, next day I go in and the car wasn’t charged, it was at 6% SOC. So I wait an hour for it to charge some, I’m thinking that’ll get me to a supercharger and I’ll charge up there, they hand me the keys and say I got 15 minutes… no 24 hour test drive, they’re not sure how or where the miscommunication happened but all they know is that it’s not a 24 hour test drive.
Wow that sucks. They were trying to get me to not do a 24 hr test drive but I said that I needed the 24 hour test drive to make sure it would work for me, I had to be very pushy before they let me take off with the car for the day.

Reactions: AMPd