Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switching from Audi...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to make a quick post to poll owners. I drive roughly 25,000 miles a year for work (sales) and my car needs to be reliable. Obviously with fuel costs increasing so is my gas bill and I'm looking to make the switch potentially. I have been a long time Audi guy and have owned them for 10 years. I have an 18 S5 now that I love but I've been eyeing the model S.

I drove in a friends Model 3 and the car had awful road noise, wind noise etc. My main question is the Model S the same type of build quality and should i expect the same interior noise? I also drive in the northeast and would need AWD and snows for winter. There is none to test drive around me so I'll have to travel.

I am looking at 17+ Performance models of the Model S.

Thanks everyone, I look forward to potentially joining the community.

I wanted to make a quick post to poll owners. I drive roughly 25,000 miles a year for work (sales) and my car needs to be reliable. Obviously with fuel costs increasing so is my gas bill and I'm looking to make the switch potentially. I have been a long time Audi guy and have owned them for 10 years. I have an 18 S5 now that I love but I've been eyeing the model S.

I drove in a friends Model 3 and the car had awful road noise, wind noise etc. My main question is the Model S the same type of build quality and should i expect the same interior noise? I also drive in the northeast and would need AWD and snows for winter. There is none to test drive around me so I'll have to travel.

I am looking at 17+ Performance models of the Model S.

Thanks everyone, I look forward to potentially joining the community.
I also transitioned from Audi (A8 and A7) when getting my first Tesla. I assume you are not looking at the 2021+ refresh S with new interior, double-paned glass and updated dynamic air suspension, so I'll comment based on experience with my 2018 S. While the detail / finish are not up to Audi standards, the performance and technology are superior. The quality, ride and interior noise were all very good on my 2018, and I think you would be happy if you place more value on performance, EV, and user interface. The S is a more refined and quiet car than Model 3, so no comparison there. But I would highly recommend you stick with 19" wheels rather than 21" for comfort, ride quality, noise reduction and durability.

Reactions: Wol747
I came from an A8 to a 2020 S. I think with a performance model Tesla, you will have a rough ride, some wind noise, build quality may be a bit better than the 3, but don't expect too much. The A8 was much quieter. The Tesla has different qualities, though. Service is weak now, but should improve in the next year or 2. So far, I really haven't needed much service, and the mobile service has handled most items. I am 1 1/2 hours from closest "normal" service.

I also transitioned from Audi (A8 and A7) when getting my first Tesla. I assume you are not looking at the 2021+ refresh S with new interior, double-paned glass and updated dynamic air suspension, so I'll comment based on experience with my 2018 S. While the detail / finish are not up to Audi standards, the performance and technology are superior. The quality, ride and interior noise were all very good on my 2018, and I think you would be happy if you place more value on performance, EV, and user interface. The S is a more refined and quiet car than Model 3, so no comparison there. But I would highly recommend you stick with 19" wheels rather than 21" for comfort, ride quality, noise reduction and durability.

Thanks for the reply. I don't think I can swing a 21+ so I would have to find an 18+ I think. Is the 21+ that much better? Anything I should look out for when purchasing? Certain options?

I came from an A8 to a 2020 S. I think with a performance model Tesla, you will have a rough ride, some wind noise, build quality may be a bit better than the 3, but don't expect too much. The A8 was much quieter. The Tesla has different qualities, though. Service is weak now, but should improve in the next year or 2. So far, I really haven't needed much service, and the mobile service has handled most items. I am 1 1/2 hours from closest "normal" service.

Maybe I should not go with the performance model S then?

Maybe I should not go with the performance model S then?
My 2020 S Long Range has air suspension and 19" wheels, and even on the softest setting, it is rough. You add the larger wheels with less sidewall, and it should be even rougher. I have owned many fast cars, and my 2020 long range is faster than anything I have owned. I usually opt for the fastest model made when I buy a new car, but with the Tesla, it is plenty fast in the "economy" long range version. :)

The M3 loaner I just had for 5 weeks was WAY louder than my 2015 P85D was. I could not handle driving an M3 long term. My MXP is far quieter than my 2015 S was. The fit and finish on the latest X's suck. My 2015 S was way better. Service sucks. They take months to do what used to take a week and they don't respond to chat in the app.

The driving experience and the tech can't be beat despite horrendous usability bugs making USB music nearly unusable when it used to be great back in 2015.

If you're looking to save money commuting, I'd consider a Bolt at this point. I think they've licked the battery safety issue and with the recent price drops, it's a steal for what you get.

A friend is getting her's for $0 after the price drop, state, and various local incentives in her area plus a free charger installed.

If money isn't an issue and you're willing to put up with lacking service quality, then you'll be happier with a used P100D Raven.

Thanks for the reply. I don't think I can swing a 21+ so I would have to find an 18+ I think. Is the 21+ that much better? Anything I should look out for when purchasing? Certain options?
The 2021+ is next generation with technical updates, higher range / performance and of course the new interior / yoke.

But I loved my 2018 and wouldn’t go back to any non-EV. MCU2 (main processor) was released in mid-March 2018 cars, and I recommend you start with that if at all possible to avoid MCU1 issues / upgrade cost. My 2018 was very solid with like 2 issues over 3.5 years. The 100D has great range and performance, and was quiet on the road.

The 2021+ is next generation with technical updates, higher range / performance and of course the new interior / yoke.

But I loved my 2018 and wouldn’t go back to any non-EV. MCU2 (main processor) was released in mid-March 2018 cars, and I recommend you start with that if at all possible to avoid MCU1 issues / upgrade cost. My 2018 was very solid with like 2 issues over 3.5 years. The 100D has great range and performance, and was quiet on the road.

Super useful info thank you. Is service really that bad with these?

Service is probably at its low right now. Tesla is selling a vast increase in cars, and the service network hasn't grown nearly as fast. Musk says he hopes to have 90% of service done the same day by this time next year. Currently, service is a 2 or 3 week wait on average, and not too good overall. Musk is planning on hiring many non-trained people for simple tasks as a quick fix. I am not too sure that will be effective. Anyway, he is aware there is a problem now.

The good part is, if you get a well built Tesla, it will not need much service.

Reactions: AMPd
Service is probably at its low right now. Tesla is selling a vast increase in cars, and the service network hasn't grown nearly as fast. Musk says he hopes to have 90% of service done the same day by this time next year. Currently, service is a 2 or 3 week wait on average, and not too good overall. Musk is planning on hiring many non-trained people for simple tasks as a quick fix. I am not too sure that will be effective. Anyway, he is aware there is a problem now.

The good part is, if you get a well built Tesla, it will not need much service.

Wow, can't imagine being down a car for 2-3 weeks.. thats insane.

The 2-3 week lead time for appointments is more for minor issue sort of stuff.

This is also very dependent on your location. Where I live, I can usually get an appointment within 2-3 days (sometimes next day) but a mobile ranger visit would usually be about a week out.

I am sure it is much worse in California where there are A LOT more Teslas on the road.

Reactions: SoCal Buzz
If my livelihood depended on my car, I wouldn't touch a Tesla. Service can be anywhere between pretty good, to absolutely awful, to non existent, depending on where you are, and you can't even call them on the phone, and getting them to communicate can be difficult or just not happen in a timely fashion. Gas cars can be worked on anywhere anytime, by many people, and parts are available, and they will actually answer the phone, with a Tesla, Tesla is about your only option and it's a crap shoot. Tesla can and will mess with your car over the air, and change things without your permission, including the speed with which you can charge. Speed varies from SC to SC and what speed Tesla decided your car should charge at. My car used to charge twice as fast as it does now. Can you spend possibly 2hrs charging to pick up 250mi vs gassing up for 400? Those things a very important when your living depends on it. I would stick with the Audi and pay for the gas, with Tesla you have no options and no control.

Super useful info thank you. Is service really that bad with these?
It really depends as others have noted. In So Cal I’ve actually had great service over 3 cars and 9 years. Even now I can get mobile ranger in 2-3 days. But I’m close to 3 Service Centers. I think the real service challenges are: 1) long distance from or lack of Service Centers, and 2) tricky issues that are harder to diagnose, requiring visit to backlogged Service Center for ongoing diagnostics, etc. My 2018 had an intermittent air suspension fault (due to wiring harness issue) that took 9 days to finally resolve. But after 3 days they gave me loaner, communicated well, and then fixed the issue. That was the 1 time it visited service center, and the only other issue was door handle sensor fixed in my driveway.

If I were to buy a used Tesla now, 1st I would ensure warranty coverage and 2nd I would spend enough time with it to check for obvious faults, errors, etc. Most Teslas are very solid, but of course you hear about the issues more than those who don’t have any. I would also check for paint and finish issues given that’s where Tesla has greater variability because of rapid growth.

It looks like these were released in 2020+?

The Raven platform (adaptive suspension, different motor configuration, etc...) started somewhere between April and June of 2019. In 2020 and 2021, the Long Range Plus edition was introduced with more (on paper) range.

As the OP is an Audi fan, I wonder if they checked out the eTron. It looks like you can get 2019 models for reasonable prices (comparable to 2017/2018 Model S). I know it doesn't have the range but it might fit the bill from a fit and finish perspective.