TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Switching from BMW Convertible to MS

Discussion in 'Model S' started by CinRedMan, Sep 5, 2017.

1. CinRedMan

CinRedMan Member

I'm making the move from a BMW convertible (330Ci) to a MS100D with the all glass roof.

Basically, giving up the drop-top for all things "Tesla" and curious to hear from others whom have made similar choice.

The 330 is my daily driver; 4-seasons as I have the removable hardtop and winter tires. Our "other" car is a Lexus RX350 with a sun roof and while the roof provides venting and a bit of "fresh air", it is closed 95% of the time, which is why I didn't concern myself with the Tesla sun roof.

If you have made a similar transition, I would be most interested in post-transition feelings, regrets, etc.

Thanks

2. MDMGSO47

MDMGSO47 Member

I had two consecutive BMW M-3 convertibles, and loved them both. Our Tesla S 100D (and for that matter our S 75) is superior in acceleration, comfort, safety and even handling. The BMW rag top has the advantage in the spring and the fall when it is 75 degrees and sunny, although I find the Sun Roof on the Tesla to be a close and more convenient second.

3. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

#3 HankLloydRight, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  4. Skateboardgolf

Love convertibles! I've owned a
    1996 Saab 900 convertible
    2003 BMW 325ici convertible
    2005 BMW M3 convertible
    2012 BMW 335is convertible

Then, I made the mistake of test-driving a Tesla.
    Yes, the open air feeling is nice, but every time I got in my BMW, it felt like a slow, noisy donkey.
    No amount of open air could make up for that.

Now, I'm on my second Tesla, and no looking back. You won't regret it!

IMG_0242.JPG IMG_0128.jpg IMG_1728.JPG DSC00483.JPG

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  5. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Member

Came from a 3-series to a P85. I'll never go back.

I tell my BMW "friends" that ask why this:
    "Driving the Tesla is like driving a bullet, all day, every day. The BMW just doesn't have that."

Yes, I walk around with "EV Grin" on my face all the time.

6. jd2017

jd2017 Member

Just ordered a 75D, trading up from a BMW M4. Can’t wait for the tesla to be delivered.

7. JHWJR

JHWJR Member

I had a BMW M Roadster convertible and a Lexus RX400h Hybrid. Got rid of both and bought an X.

No regrets, but there's nothing like driving down the highway on a sunny day with the top down and the sun on your face. Nothing.

8. dreamwave6

dreamwave6 Member

My husband & I are both sports car (and in my case, sportsbike) enthusiasts. Over the past ~15 years, we've had more than a dozen Mazda Miatas, 3 Porsche Boxsters, a Mercedes SLK, 2 Mercedes SLs, several Honda del Sols, VW Cabriolet and Cabrios, VW EOS, numerous BMW 3-Series convertibles, multiple BMW Z3s and a BMW Z4. At present, we have a BMW 3-Series convertible, a 2014 Porsche Boxster and our Tesla Model X. While I occasionally may miss having a convertible as my daily driver (I am the primary driver of our Model X and drive it daily for work), the Model X more than makes up for it in performance (it is the fastest car we've ever owned and handles like a Miata) as well as comfort and convenience (I drive from San Diego to Los Angeles all the time and the Autopilot is a god's send).

I am definitely eyeing the future release of the Roadster 4.0 as our next Tesla for sure.

Andrew