Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switching from BMW X7 to CyberTruck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently own two BMWs in my garage, and have been a BMW for long time. I have an order for a CyberTruck and thinking of trade in the BMW X7 for the CT.

I have no experience with Tesla, other than me being a tech guy with 100s of hours of youtube, and generally being a car guy (but never owned a Tesla). Reason being is because I never liked the lack of luxury in Tesla vehicles, but I love the Self-driving features and like the Tesla thing for no reason (just like why I don't know why I like iphone vs Samsung).

After this long introduction, is there any reason why I may regret a switch from something like BMW X7 to CyberTruck? What are things that may surprise me? I have an EV already (BMW Sedan EV) so no worries about the EV or range anxiety experience. I am mainly talking about the BMW vs Tesla ownership experience and driving experience too, more specifically X7 to CT too.

I’ve never driven an X7, so I can’t add value comparisons there.
However, I’m a tech guy, like iPhone over Samsung, and owned a BMW sedan before buying a Tesla Model 3.
Loved the BMW, and still love BMW.
The ride and luxury is awesome.
I was worried about that also.
Within 10 minutes in my Model 3 AWD with boost, I’ve never looked back.
Even though I still love BMW, I’ve owned my Tesla for 4.5 years now, we bought a second one, and I would t give this car up for any other car.
I have a reservation in for a CT also, but I placed that years ago, when I thought I may trade up down the road. I’m not sure now though.
I have FSD now, and I’m not sure I want to pay $19.5k on top of a new car now, so I may just enjoy my model 3 for a while longer. :)
You’ll love it.

I’ve never driven an X7, so I can’t add value comparisons there.
However, I’m a tech guy, like iPhone over Samsung, and owned a BMW sedan before buying a Tesla Model 3.
Loved the BMW, and still love BMW.
The ride and luxury is awesome.
I was worried about that also.
Within 10 minutes in my Model 3 AWD with boost, I’ve never looked back.
Even though I still love BMW, I’ve owned my Tesla for 4.5 years now, we bought a second one, and I would t give this car up for any other car.
I have a reservation in for a CT also, but I placed that years ago, when I thought I may trade up down the road. I’m not sure now though.
I have FSD now, and I’m not sure I want to pay $19.5k on top of a new car now, so I may just enjoy my model 3 for a while longer. :)
You’ll love it.
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

By switching to Tesla, I am afraid I might miss real luxury features like: Massage seats, heated/cooled cupholders, B&W speakers (but I guess Tesla has good ones?), anti-glare all-time high beam LED&laser headlights, silent cabin and zero rattles like what I have in the X7 now, and even other less important stuff like rear axle steering and dynamic handling control/suspension.

Also, what is the additional $19.5K that you are referring to? though FSC is not way cheaper (discounted to $12-15K just a few weeks ago)

I’m referring to the Canadian pricing.
It may have dropped, I’m not sure. FSD was $19,500 not long ago.
If those luxury items, you’ve listed are deal breakers, you’ve got a tough choice to make.
Have you test drove a Tesla yet?

I test drove a Tesla about 2 years ago. At that time, my daily drive was an S-class, and the Model X I test drove did not hold to the same drive comfort or luxury feeling I had been used to when driving the S-class. The S-class was way more comfortable and less noisy and when I tested the Model X, it felt a bit more of a down-grade. I am afraid I may have the same experience now… but I am counting on the CyberTruck being higher and more comfortable with better air ride and more luxury feeling on the road ….I don’t know.. I am hope I am right..

I doubt the CT will be more comfortable than an S or X. Being it’s marketed as a TRUCK. And they are doing a lot to keep the price down. Original target price was I think $40K. When an X was $80K.

I test drove a Tesla about 2 years ago. At that time, my daily drive was an S-class, and the Model X I test drove did not hold to the same drive comfort or luxury feeling I had been used to when driving the S-class. The S-class was way more comfortable and less noisy and when I tested the Model X, it felt a bit more of a down-grade. I am afraid I may have the same experience now… but I am counting on the CyberTruck being higher and more comfortable with better air ride and more luxury feeling on the road ….I don’t know.. I am hope I am right..
Those creature comforts, noise, ride quality, and luxury items are great. No dispute.
I don’t miss those things. Maybe once in a blue moon.

But you definitely want to know before you buy. :)

if I have to leave those luxury items behind (including air ride dynamic driving comfort) can you all weigh in on what will make my Tesla feel special in the future and make me forget all these things? Just trying to understand before I pull the trigger one-day soon.

if I have to leave those luxury items behind (including air ride dynamic driving comfort) can you all weigh in on what will make my Tesla feel special in the future and make me forget all these things? Just trying to understand before I pull the trigger one-day soon.

My opinion is the CT will feel special just because of the way it looks and some of the features you will get. It will be sought after like TRXs and Raptors.

I had a Mercedes before purchasing my X. Indeed the S Class is a higher end luxury vehicle. Kept the Mercedes for 6 months after purchasing the Tesla just in case I needed a gas powered car for my use. After 6 months I sold it (lost a ton of depreciation) because it just sat in the garage getting dusty. The joy of electric drive made driving the gasser less appealing.
Don't get me wrong, Mercedes makes awsome cars. Great quality and fancy interiors, but burning gasoline to make a drive seemed archaic in the modern world. Other reason is that the constant maintenance needs of the Mercedes with "Service engine B" alerts on the dash that could only be cleared with an expensive visit to the Mercedes service center a stab in the wallet.

Based on feedback from all if you, does that mean that once BMW and Mercedes has most of the lunup also available in EV mode that a BMW and MBenz will be a much better options? Sounds like everyone acknowledged that BMW and Mbenz is more luxury and better in terms of offered packages and interior packages, but the main driving factor is the EV driving experience. With BMW 5-series full EV and 7-series full EV coming on board, as well as maybe S-class 560e PHEV with 60 miles range, yet competing price for Model S and Model X, and a 5-series full EV in similar range to Model Y, is there really a good reason starting from this year to go the Tesla route? Sorry I am not trying to pick on Tesla, but really just need an honest opinion now that other brands have EV too.

You really need to try and play with the software and systems in a Tesla. You can do that at the dealer.
Then test drive it.
That should give you enough on the tech and software, (which Tesla beats everyone at), the ride, noise etc.
I know very few people that opt to go back to gas (even luxury brands) after driving a Tesla.
Play with one, test drive, and decide.

Yes, you should go Tesla to experience what driving an EV should be like. Basically to get your feet wet with less hassle with Charging and everyday living with an EV. From there you can move on to other brands who’s charging infrastructure and software are a step below.

The reason I say this is because if you start with another brand you will quickly sour on EV’s because they are still in their infant stage. While Tesla as an EV is better but is lacking in other areas that BMW and Mercedes have already mastered, especially when it comes to service center

Yes, you should go Tesla to experience what driving an EV should be like. Basically to get your feet wet with less hassle with Charging and everyday living with an EV. From there you can move on to other brands who’s charging infrastructure and software are a step below.

The reason I say this is because if you start with another brand you will quickly sour on EV’s because they are still in their infant stage. While Tesla as an EV is better but is lacking in other areas that BMW and Mercedes have already mastered, especially when it comes to service center
Not sure I completely agree with the service side. Dealers make billions off of you, because of those centres. So ya, they are happy to provide a great experience, while they take your money. :)
Tesla does not want to see you for service.
They don’t have dealers all over for that reason. The service levels vary from center to center, but overall, I think it’s a different take on what to expect, because it’s not a revenue engine for Tesla.

Not sure I completely agree with the service side. Dealers make billions off of you, because of those centres. So ya, they are happy to provide a great experience, while they take your money. :)
Tesla does not want to see you for service.
They don’t have dealers all over for that reason. The service levels vary from center to center, but overall, I think it’s a different take on what to expect, because it’s not a revenue engine for Tesla.

I don’t mind going to service as long as I get a nice loaner

Reactions: M109Rider
BMW used to be "the ultimate driving machine". NOT the ultimate luxury machine. The luxury supremacy was the MB thing. If luxury is so important for you, get the MB EQS SUV, it is really really nice, I would probably want it if not ... see below ...

Some may disagree with me, but I think with Tesla you get the proven reliability of the vehicle, the user interface, and the charging network. The technology and the UI in Tesla are the most important luxuries compared to any other ICE or EV brand.

I do not expect CT to feature typical old car brand's luxury interior items like massaging seats or wooden steering wheel. It was introduced as a truck with active suspension, but its purpose (and tuning) may be very different from the purpose of active suspension on X7. I am pretty sure the main focus of CT will be on new technologies, not on luxury.

So, I would NOT recommend getting the CT as a replacement of X7. In one respect the X7 and CT are the same: they both are the statement vehicles - a bloated luxury vs extreme design. If you just want to make a statement, then CT will likely be a good one as the X7 is already pretty boring thing by now when we have things like Grand Wagoneer and Lincoln Navigator.

What technology if any does Tesla offer other than self-driving? Sorry not trying to be sarcastic, but really what technology are we talking about compared to other highend luxury brands?

Other than FSD, I feel that both BMWs I have have more tech around me in the interior than Tesla. What am I missing?

Reactions: T3SLAROD
What technology if any does Tesla offer other than self-driving? Sorry not trying to be sarcastic, but really what technology are we talking about compared to other highend luxury brands?

Other than FSD, I feel that both BMWs I have have more tech around me in the interior than Tesla. What am I missing?
I’ll make a suggestion.
If you’re making a purchase for a smart phone, only you can determine if an iPhone or Android is best for you based on what you want and like in each phone. Based on your research.
Asking a group of Tesla fans will only get you one side. :)
I could chat about why Tesla is best all day long. Comparing tech from a gas car to Tesla where every inch is the car is controlled by one screen is not even close to the luxury gas cars you mention.

Search the forum, watch videos, find out what the car can and can’t do. See how far it’s come, so you know where it’s heading.
Mine is a 2018 and it’s 100% better now than when I got it. Tons more options and functionality than when I bought it over 4.5 years ago.
How much better have your luxury cars improved in 4.5 years. :)
You won’t really get what you want from asking for fans to convince you.
You have to dive in yourself.
The best way to make a purchase mistake is to let others tell you what to buy.

Reactions: T3SLAROD
I’ll make a suggestion.
If you’re making a purchase for a smart phone, only you can determine if an iPhone or Android is best for you based on what you want and like in each phone. Based on your research.
Asking a group of Tesla fans will only get you one side. :)
I could chat about why Tesla is best all day long. Comparing tech from a gas car to Tesla where every inch is the car is controlled by one screen is not even close to the luxury gas cars you mention.

Search the forum, watch videos, find out what the car can and can’t do. See how far it’s come, so you know where it’s heading.
Mine is a 2018 and it’s 100% better now than when I got it. Tons more options and functionality than when I bought it over 4.5 years ago.
How much better have your luxury cars improved in 4.5 years. :)
You won’t really get what you want from asking for fans to convince you.
You have to dive in yourself.
The best way to make a purchase mistake is to let others tell you what to buy.

I appreciate the feedback. As a hint, I posted something similar on 2 BMW forums. I am also going to rent a Tesla for a weekend trip with family just to test it out. And then lastly I posted here too to hear from Tesla owners. I am going to collect all the data points and hopefully make a well informed decision.
I certainly appreciate the feedback here.

One thing I tell you, is that most BMW fans on BMW forums thought that I am so stupid and even dump to even think about moving from BMW to Tesla, lol. They made it seem like as if it’s Switching from a Bugatti to Kia Stringer, seriously. But the tone here at Tesla website is a but more conservative and there seem to be general understanding that BMW is more luxurious but maybe Tesla has also some other things to offer to compensate. To be clear, I do not want to lose something in exchange for something else. I want the vehicle to give me as many things of all what I need; if not all of them, at least majority of the needs. I am going to hopefully measure all these aspecs and see which vehicle is best for my next purchase :).