Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switching From Cable to Wireless EV Charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a thought today.
What happens to all the charges around the country when wireless charging comes to the forefront within the next two years?
It will be great news to be converted to wireless because charging stations will become just like the old phone booths of the past, with 1 in 10 working within the next 12 months, with card reader issues and the stolen cables, but will they need to retrofit all the stations causing more issues?

Bmw already had a production car with wireless charging (530e). You just drove over a charge plate and the car automatically charged. The power losses were obviously a concern.

Reactions: Wol747
High powered L2 wireless charging is going to be a tiny niche and/or cute party trick for WAAAAY longer than 2 more years.

Charging cables are not going away any time soon.

Yep. For all the folks that complain about superchargers being slow sometimes......wireless charging is FAR less efficient.

Wireless charging for a small phone battery is one thing. Wireless rapid charging for a 100+kWh battery at scale - i'd say we're decades away from that.

The only space where larger scale wireless EV charging makes sense right now is home charging, where you can park over a pad overnight. And that already exists at a high price if you can't be bothered to plug in.

I had a thought today.
What happens to all the charges around the country when wireless charging comes to the forefront within the next two years?
It will be great news to be converted to wireless because charging stations will become just like the old phone booths of the past, with 1 in 10 working within the next 12 months, with card reader issues and the stolen cables, but will they need to retrofit all the stations causing more issues?
🤣 🤣 🤣