Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switching from LR AWD to P3D- for faster delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys. I'm pretty new to the idea of the Stealth Performance Model 3, but looking around at the order tracking thread & the waiting room threads, it sounds like people get matched with VINs pretty quickly for them.

I have a LR AWD ordered 11/27 and no VIN yet. I'm kind of out in the middle of nowhere (Kansas City is my closest showroom) and I'm pretty worried about the delivery making it before end of year. So, I was thinking, if there are potentially just P3D- sitting around, I could try to find one, pay the extra $2000, but then get the $1875 tax credit, and just call it a $125 upgrade to the car.

If this is completely misinformed then please stop me here. Otherwise, I have some questions:
  • I hear people saying Stealth P3D are just sitting around in inventories. Does that mean they are all older manufacturing dates?
  • Can I just call the Tesla line and talk to someone about my reservation and see if they can find a sleeper around at a Tesla dealer in the area? Or should I call the showrooms directly?
I might give to the end of the week to see if I get a VIN. Getting a sleeper probably isn't worth $2000 to me personally but at a discount it sounds like a pretty stellar perk.

My apologies if this info is already well documented but I haven't generally found a single up to date source on sleeper model 3s.

From what I've experienced, I went from waiting on a VIN (LR AWD) to being matched one within a few minutes (LR Stealth).

I think it's the best 2k you can spend to get a massive upgrade for so (relatively) little.

There are no Model 3’s in inventory in the US at this point. However, it appears they are in the process of building a large block of P3D- cars ahead of other trim lines so you may very well get one sooner. But there’s an even better reason to switch your order. It’s a lot of extra speed for a very small amount of money. I’m confident that on resale you will easily get an extra $2K back by labeling your car as a “Performance” model. I can’t think of any good reason to buy a LR AWD model at this point if you can get the stealth car for an extra $2K.

I don’t believe they are producing stealths with white interiors now so if you are sold on a white interior you may have to wait for the AWD trims to be built. Otherwise I wouldn’t even think twice about upgrading.

There are no Model 3’s in inventory in the US at this point. However, it appears they are in the process of building a large block of P3D- cars ahead of other trim lines so you may very well get one sooner. But there’s an even better reason to switch your order. It’s a lot of extra speed for a very small amount of money. I’m confident that on resale you will easily get an extra $2K back by labeling your car as a “Performance” model. I can’t think of any good reason to buy a LR AWD model at this point if you can get the stealth car for an extra $2K.

I don’t believe they are producing stealths with white interiors now so if you are sold on a white interior you may have to wait for the AWD trims to be built. Otherwise I wouldn’t even think twice about upgrading.

I agree with this I wish I had known about the existence of stealth cars prior to ordering mine...now I am in the group of AWD owners that hope that the performance boost is solely managed by computer and that at some point we'll be given the option to "upgrade".

Reactions: Duckster
i don't know if there are any sitting around - i didn't ask the right question of my SA when i switched my order to a P3D- last week. the one that was assigned to me was "pre-production", but he told me they could deliver it this week. i have my doubts. maybe they are putting a whole bunch of P3D- down the line right now but it seems impossible to find out.

there is evidence the P3D- has the performance motor, with beefier transistors, so apparently it is not a software-only upgrade.

I agree with this I wish I had known about the existence of stealth cars prior to ordering mine...now I am in the group of AWD owners that hope that the performance boost is solely managed by computer and that at some point we'll be given the option to "upgrade".

I wouldn’t count on it. It’s never been offered before and anyone who currently has an AWD and requests to “upgrade” to a stealth is reassigned to a different VIN. If flipping a software switch was all that was required to turn on stealth mode I think it’s fair to assume Tesla would have done that by now rather going through the complicated process of releasing one VIN and reassigning another one.

I wouldn’t count on it. It’s never been offered before and anyone who currently has an AWD and requests to “upgrade” to a stealth is reassigned to a different VIN. If flipping a software switch was all that was required to turn on stealth mode I think it’s fair to assume Tesla would have done that by now rather going through the complicated process of releasing one VIN and reassigning another one.

The local Tesla had 2 Stealth on hand (red and black). He stated that there were wiring configurations for the Performance vs a LR AWD. True or not? I would perhaps think so due to subtle hardware changes to give it extra oomph... i wanted to pull the trigger and upgrade, but there were several factors i didn't. (1) mo' money, given my order has FSD and the stealth did not, (2) I wanted white.. (3), Did i mention mo' money? I would love to have 0-60 in 3 secs.. but can live w/o it.

I'm in the same boat too... Part of me wants to pull the trigger and go for it. My SA says that they have sleepers in my config (Red/Black, 19 Rims, No FSD), for about $1200 plus tax and registration. Very tempted to do it, but I'm leaning towards saving that money for FSD instead. Tough choice!

Not counting on it, hoping for it :D

New builds have different drive units AWD vs stealth.

That is not the case for older pre-2019 AWD cars that are wanting this software unlock- which is all it is since it's physically the exact same car.

Also they've absolutely offered SW unlocks for money in the past on the S... battery unlocks for example... even performance ones for those lucky enough to buy after certain dates (the reverse of this situation where it'd be those who bought BEFORE certain dates).

Oh and to the OP- yes absolutely it's worth upgrading.

That was an $11,000 upgrade back when I was buying.

• Informative
Reactions: kinito
I'm in the same boat too... Part of me wants to pull the trigger and go for it. My SA says that they have sleepers in my config (Red/Black, 19 Rims, No FSD), for about $1200 plus tax and registration. Very tempted to do it, but I'm leaning towards saving that money for FSD instead. Tough choice!

I'm confused.. FSD is just a software unlock. They can add that in easily, right?

They should be able to! Just saying that if I don't do the upgrade, I can save a little cash in case I wanted FSD further down the road. I think I'll be fine with the LR AWD acceleration, though the sleeper model does sound fantastic.

Yesterday, I inquired with the local DC, they had quite a few red stealth in stock. They had 1 silver with 50 miles. I contemplated on doing the exact same thing, and forgo my FSD to a later date.. i struggled with the decision and kept my LR AWD w/FSD. Of course i would love a Performance, but it would probably get me in more trouble than its worth. Plus, if i change my FSD now, it would be 1k more expensive later on.