Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switching from Model 3 for Model Y in the UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

M3777

Sep 19, 2021
London
Anyone here considering switching from Model 3 to Model Y?
Got Model 3 LR 2 months ago and loving it.
Just received my Model Y delivery notification (pre-ordered on first date) and thinking what are my options for switching over to MY (a bit more space is always nice).
Has anyone got experience with Tesla in trade-in their old model for a newer one?

I've certainly been mulling the Model Y (coming from a M3LR2019), but going to hold out with regards to confirming state of the structural battery pack revisions.

Once the dust settles/ambiguity gone on "here's what you get on range" will likely assess then.

Yes I am swapping my Sept 21 Model £LR for a model Y March. Test drive one you will find a great car.
Tesla as usual gave me a totally unrealistic price but you should get about £49k for yours from WBAC or Motorway, I sold mine last week just in case there are a glut of 2nd hand M3s on the market in March. You'll get more than you paid for it if you have the patince to sell on autotrader type sites.

if you can put up with some spam emails for a while, chuck your reg number in WBAC and motorway.co.uk to see what you're looking at. May be a little lower than your motorway quote as its dependent on a live auction, so is more an estimate than a guarantee. I sold my 2021 SR+ last week for £40k-ish which is basically what I paid for it as I got in just before the grant disappeared.

I keep considering it. I do tend to prefer the bigger SUV style cars, especially with the state of our roads. Plus having that extra boot space.

BUT...I dunno. The Y just doesn't look right to me. Its like someone just cupped their hands around the air intake and inflated the whole car like a balloon.

Anyone here considering switching from Model 3 to Model Y?
Got Model 3 LR 2 months ago and loving it.
Just received my Model Y delivery notification (pre-ordered on first date) and thinking what are my options for switching over to MY (a bit more space is always nice).
Has anyone got experience with Tesla in trade-in their old model for a newer one?
Just get a quote for a trade in and decide if you are happy with their pricing, quite reasonable at the moment i believe

Just back from a model Y test drive in Glasgow. Only had 30mins with the car but as much as a liked it, the s-u-v-iness of the car kind of put me off. Which is unfortunate as that’s what I originally wanted from it.

I really enjoyed the slightly higher driving position but it comes at a price. I didn’t find the ride overly harsh. Not that much difference to my own car really, but being taller you feel a bit less connected to the road. (I know I’m never going to make top gear)

I am used to driving SUVs as I have an Xtrail as a second family and dog lugger so I’m used to a bit of rock n roll, I did however find the steering a bit inaccurate in comparison to the M3LR and a bit slower. That said it is no slouch.

I originally wanted a Y but couldn’t be bothered waiting so went for my M3. Most likely had I not had the 3 first and fallen in love with it I would be placing an order nonetheless.

As an aside the test car had something loose in the boot well I think as there were a few clattering sounds over pot holes etc. I hope that others have not got this issue. I did report it so hopefully it was just a can of tyre weld or something.

So in conclusion, I am glad I took the car out, my M3 is going to stay as the limo, the clean, no dogs, no trips to the dump car. Which I fear the MY might actually become if I pushed the button so feck that, the M3LR stays in pole position in my driveway.

Footnote the car could have done with a software upgrade. It was still on the old UI which having only had on my M3LR for about a week I found baffling lol. I didn’t have the time to investigate the ins and outs of the whole set up tbh.

Last edited:
I wish Tesla would update the 3 to bring a powered hatch like the BMW 4 series GC (or i4 as an EV equivalent). They’d be able to share some components from the Y maybe - similar pano roof layout. Seems like it’d be doable and make the 3 much more practical. Its a compromise I’m ok with for now, and I’m still a saloon/sedan driver although can see the comfort appeal of getting ‘up’ into a car - maybe when I’m a little older.

Kids can sod off - its my car, they can fold up in the back :p. They’ve grown up in a variety of saloons/coupes and managed just fine.

I wish Tesla would update the 3 to bring a powered hatch like the BMW 4 series GC (or i4 as an EV equivalent). They’d be able to share some components from the Y maybe - similar pano roof layout. Seems like it’d be doable and make the 3 much more practical. Its a compromise I’m ok with for now, and I’m still a saloon/sedan driver although can see the comfort appeal of getting ‘up’ into a car - maybe when I’m a little older.

Kids can sod off - its my car, they can fold up in the back :p. They’ve grown up in a variety of saloons/coupes and managed just fine.
I know it will appeal to the masses but I guess that’s the kind of change BMW thrives on a CC, GC, an Estate, 4 door coupe, and a normal saloon. I am not expecting Tesla to play the same game but focus on more evelopments related to battery tech and AI. But you will never know, if Elon suddenly decides to make more money then expect Model 3 to have a GC and an estate version!

Reactions: DenkiJidousha