Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switching from Model 3 for Model Y in the UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla just offered me £45k for my Dec20 M3, £5K less than I paid for it. Tempted as the Y was my first choice but couldn't wait any longer at the time.
So, let the part ex offer expire as I wanted to test drive first. Did so today, 3 weeks later. New partex is £42k, probably due to estimated September delivery being moved back 3 months to Nov/Dec. Things are moving fast out there. Could still sell for £45k now but cannot be without for 6 months.

I decided to get both
I doubt the boot opening makes a huge difference. The Y and 3 aren’t too different performance wise in my opinion. Just the extra room and the ability to put larger things in the back
The M3 still has a big boot and plenty of room and sometimes you have to think can I justify the larger car and is the performance more important.

Last edited:
Was surprised just how much larger the Y is when I switched. Tardis like! I think its a bit bigger than a Q5 inside. So is very good value compared to the 3 right now. But the suspension is crap and they need to have some way of strapping things down in the boot (hooks, like every other car perhaps!), as if you have a heavy right foot the contents seems to fly about. They are my only two gripes.

Reactions: Toblerone
The M3 still has a big boot and plenty of room and sometimes you have to think can I justify the larger car and is the performance more important.
But the thing is I’ve got a kid so I need to travel with a pram and other paraphernalia and it’s a pain in the arse having to take apart the pram and playing a game of Tetris to get stuff into the boot. Another consideration is being a passenger in the M3 isn’t the most comfortable experience because of the raised floor.

Also the performance is important but with a one year old in the back I’m hardly going to make use of it.

I’ve got a holiday in September and I’m dreading doing it in the M3P because the MY isn’t going to arrive in time.

Other than that, yeah the M3P is better which is why I’m keeping it

Yes but your missing the fun of a performance over an opening. lol.

But the thing is I’ve got a kid so I need to travel with a pram and other paraphernalia and it’s a pain in the arse having to take apart the pram and playing a game of Tetris to get stuff into the boot. Another consideration is being a passenger in the M3 isn’t the most comfortable experience because of the raised floor.

Also the performance is important but with a one year old in the back I’m hardly going to make use of it.

I’ve got a holiday in September and I’m dreading doing it in the M3P because the MY isn’t going to arrive in time.

Other than that, yeah the M3P is better which is why I’m keeping it
Yes agree and their are families using their M3P as their main car.

The Y is just so much bigger than 3 the frunk and lower boot are huge, on top of a much larger cabin and it has the bonus of hepa filter.

I parked next to two model 3s at a supercharger last week and one of them said they couldn’t believe how much bigger the y is as it doesn’t look it online

Reactions: Toblerone