Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switching from wifi to 3g unreliable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm wondering what the trick is to get my MCU1 to switch from wifi to 3g -- it seems very random.

I park in a place where there is no 3g, but two blocks away I have three bars -- when I arrive at work. But when I leave from work after being wifi-connected all day, sometimes it will find a 3g signal within a few blocks, and sometimes I can drive the 10 miles home without ever getting connected. There is plenty of 5-bar 3g service along the way, but the thing either won't look for it or doesn't find it.

I can tap on the blank 3g icon and see tons of wifi signals all the way home, but damned if it will scan for 3g.

About 30-40% of the time I'll get 3g within just a few blocks of leaving the wifi. Totally random.

Is there an action that can kick it into a 3g signal search? Turning off something and back on again?

I had a phone that did this -- in 2006, I think. Feels a lot like it.

I find that if i try to adjust ANYTHING on the audio when i first get in the car in the morning (where each night it has automatically connected to the home WiFi) then there will be pain.
Just leave the controls alone for 30 seconds while you leave WiFi and the car finds some wireless broadband and : bingo. 9 times out of ten it works perfectly.
I find patience is the answer...

If say remove/“forget” the workplace WiFi network. Why do even have it connected at work to begin with? Updates while you work? :)
The signal strength could vary each day when you leave work so it could still be desperately trying to stay connected. Removing it forces the 3G connection when you’re not even looking.

• Disagree
Reactions: Creeble
If say remove/“forget” the workplace WiFi network. Why do even have it connected at work to begin with? Updates while you work? :)
The signal strength could vary each day when you leave work so it could still be desperately trying to stay connected. Removing it forces the 3G connection when you’re not even looking.

I’ll give this a try. And if that doesn’t work I’ll try @murphyS90D suggestion. I’ll report back too.

The car only connects to WiFi when it needs to connect to the server. The connection is initiated by the server via a cellular connection. If a download to the car is needed then the car sees if it can make a WiFi connection to do the transfer.

My car spends most of its time in the garage these days. It is not connected to the wireless access point, that is in the garage, most of the time.

So forgetting my work wifi seems to work somewhat better, based on two experiences of driving it away from work so far. The first time, it had no 3g signal and seemed to pick it up within a block, and the second time it actually found a 3g signal in my regular parking spot, where it normally does not.

I'll have to look into the 4g upgrade, since AT&T is saying they're going to shut down 3g in 2022...

Just an update: Turning off wifi at work doesn't actually improve the chance that it will connect to 3g when driving out of dead zone. 50% of the time I still go 10 miles through lots of 5-bar 3g zones and it never finds a signal. Oh well.

Guess I'd better get that 4g upgrade. Car (parked in driveway, where there is typically 2-3 bars of 3g) isn't contactable by the app this morning.

My 2013 Ford Fusion Energi was delivered with an AT&T 2G data modem. When it became apparent that 2G was going away they replaced the 2G modem with a 3G modem. The car was still in warranty at that time. The AT&T service is free. The car is now out of warranty. When 3G disappears will I be left without service or will a 4G modem be made available. Past experience tells me they won't provide a 5G modem.