Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

switching indicator right to left

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In any other car I've driven, if I'm indicating right, e.g. at a roundabout, and then want to shift the indicator to left, all I do is press it all the way down and voila, it moves from right to left.

In my M3, it simply cancels the right indicator and means I approach the exit with no indicator which is confusing for drivers who want to pull onto the roundabout. Instead, I have to remember to press it down twice. Not ideal.

Anyone else know if there's a more efficient technique to work around this behaviour?

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, seemingly depending on how you move the stalk. I've been trying to find out the pattern and just went down to the car to check my theory. I thought it was some combination of (a) whether you push the stalk as far as the first indent or push it fully and (b) whether you press it briefly or press and held it.

But it turns out to be simple. If you move the stalk in the direction you now want to indicate and, very deliberately, HOLD IT THERE, then the indicator will start in the direction you want to turn.

Moving it 'briefly' (and that means anything less than the indicator have started up again in the new direction) cancels the indicator, as documented.

That's just trying it with the car stationary on the drive. I guess I need to verify it with the car moving now - there could be more programmer conditions!

Yeah, it's different from "physical" blinker stalks. It's not just Tesla though, it's like that for all "digital" blinkers. They are just electronic switches now, the stalk isn't physically retained to a position as you turn is what I mean by physical vs digital. I think BMWs behave the same way, and I'm pretty sure my previous WRX was like that too... It just takes a little bit of getting used to.

I've not had the problem with other cars (including modern ones with partial 3 blink and full touch options) but Tesla does seem to do things differently. I also find it doesn't auto cancel like I expect it to. I need to try the hold in position option as a few have mentioned that but I don't know why Tesla needs to be different on the matter. #frustrating

Reactions: Stranger Dings
I've not had the problem with other cars (including modern ones with partial 3 blink and full touch options) but Tesla does seem to do things differently. I also find it doesn't auto cancel like I expect it to. I need to try the hold in position option as a few have mentioned that but I don't know why Tesla needs to be different on the matter. #frustrating
Another option for the roundabout situation is to indicate right as you enter the roundabout and then move the stalk as if indicating right again before indicating left ... i.e. the stalk going briefly up before going down. This covers for the potential issue of the left indication simply cancelling your indicators and not actually indicating left.

Apparently new drivers are taught to NOT indicate right whilst going round a roudabout (it can cause confusion 🤷🏼‍♂️). So if you follow that logic you’ll have no problem indicating left on exit😁

As a previous BMW owner, /shrug.
JK I've just held it down as I exit or press twice (I actually think this is how the BMW is set up too, hence the bad rep )
Nah it’s just wank drivers …. I had 3 BMW ….indicators worked fine on all 3😁
Side note, the new camera mode makes it easier to see it's on :)
Only if you have it switched on … I hate it so it’s off ……forever🤣🤣

glad to hear it's not just me then. I've yet to actually drive the car since I posted but once I do I'll try out some of these techniques. I've a feeling not bothering to indicate at all will prob be easiest and fit in with local custom a bit more too. :)

When I got my car in 2019 I did not have a problem. A subsequent software update made it almost impossible to do and it drives me nuts
I figured it was because there are no roundabouts in the US( ok there are 3000 but not many really compared to the 30000 we have in a much smaller country) so going from signalling from right to left straight away is not common and they may have been more interested in preventing accidental indications the wrong way.

As of the last couple of weeks it has now started working better again. Holding it down did not even work before and now it does. The indicator sound has got louder as well.

Only if you have it switched on … I hate it so it’s off ……forever🤣

I'm surprised that anyone would leave the indicator/camera view feature permanently off. I find that I rarely use it ... but ... just occasionally I have found it to be a reassuring double check option. Leaving the feature on at least means that I can choose to use it, even if that use is infrequent. The view on the screen doesn't currently obscure anything else that's useful so I can't see any drawback from having it there.

Reactions: Campi
I'm surprised that anyone would leave the indicator/camera view feature permanently off. I find that I rarely use it ... but ... just occasionally I have found it to be a reassuring double check option. Leaving the feature on at least means that I can choose to use it, even if that use is infrequent. The view on the screen doesn't currently obscure anything else that's useful so I can't see any drawback from having it there.
Why leave a feature I find useless switched on? I look in my mirrors and over my shoulder in the direction I am hoping to move into, not at a tablet in the middle of the car. I also turn lane assist off and don't use TACC because I don't like either of them too. All OTT and unnecessary IF a driver is alert and paying attention to what is happening around him, not looking at a tablet in the middle of the car or a mobile phone.
Each to their own though, if you find it useful then happy days, I don't find it so. If they stuck warnings in the wing mirrors then I could see the point.

Reactions: exlatccatsa
Why leave a feature I find useless switched on? I look in my mirrors and over my shoulder in the direction I am hoping to move into, not at a tablet in the middle of the car. I also turn lane assist off and don't use TACC because I don't like either of them too. All OTT and unnecessary IF a driver is alert and paying attention to what is happening around him, not looking at a tablet in the middle of the car or a mobile phone.
Each to their own though, if you find it useful then happy days, I don't find it so. If they stuck warnings in the wing mirrors then I could see the point.
I'm not sure that your response quite takes account of what I said in my post... but, of course, each to his own.

Reactions: Xdama
Apparently new drivers are taught to NOT indicate right whilst going round a roudabout (it can cause confusion 🤷🏼‍♂️). So if you follow that logic you’ll have no problem indicating left on exit😁

Source?

Couldn't see anything on The Highway Code: 8 changes you need to know from 29 January 2022 or Using the road (159 to 203) - The Highway Code - Guidance - GOV.UK

When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

• signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
  • keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout
  • signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.

Reactions: Campi
Interesting quote from the new Highway Code:

“When using an electric vehicle charge point, you should park close to the charge point and avoid creating a trip hazard for pedestrians from trailing cables. Display a warning sign if you can. After using the charge point, you should return charging cables and connectors neatly to minimise the danger to pedestrians and avoid creating an obstacle for other road users.”

Not sure how many pedestrians one sees around charging points tripping over currently. 😂

Reactions: Wattsisname
Interesting quote from the new Highway Code:

“When using an electric vehicle charge point, you should park close to the charge point and avoid creating a trip hazard for pedestrians from trailing cables. Display a warning sign if you can. After using the charge point, you should return charging cables and connectors neatly to minimise the danger to pedestrians and avoid creating an obstacle for other road users.”

Not sure how many pedestrians one sees around charging points tripping over currently. 😂
What if they trip over my sign?
never seen a public tethered charger unless it was DC. AC ones are always untethered since there are different cable, types. DC chargers are not typically on the pavement where there are pedestrians. So the putting the cables back neatly is fair enough in principal but in reality not really a thing.

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, seemingly depending on how you move the stalk. I've been trying to find out the pattern and just went down to the car to check my theory. I thought it was some combination of (a) whether you push the stalk as far as the first indent or push it fully and (b) whether you press it briefly or press and held it.

But it turns out to be simple. If you move the stalk in the direction you now want to indicate and, very deliberately, HOLD IT THERE, then the indicator will start in the direction you want to turn.

Moving it 'briefly' (and that means anything less than the indicator have started up again in the new direction) cancels the indicator, as documented.

That's just trying it with the car stationary on the drive. I guess I need to verify it with the car moving now - there could be more programmer conditions!
It all depends on whether you indicate left before or after the right indication self cancels. This is obviously hit and miss in real roundabout driving and cannot be anticipated. Pulling hard down twice should ensure a left indication but you may have to cancel it yourself.