Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switching lanes tip for new Tesla drivers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am curious if you guys use the side impact warning for blind spot monitoring? I have been using that and results seems to be pretty good. A little annoying that I have to check two places before changing lanes, but seems to work every time

Yesterday I realized that if my trunk was a lot shorter, the Model S experience would be fantastic in terms of seeing out of the car.

Here is the phone held up to my eye height right in front of my eyes while on California1 North. Note how I can barely see behind my car through the rear view mirror in one picture, and not great in the other, but almost as well as Az_Real's. If however I look in my side mirrors, I can see much further back.

Comparing to Az_Real's very good demonstration photographs, I see that I could probably try harder and get it to work when the cars pull up immediately behind me, then I can transfer seeing them to my right or left. In flatter areas, perhaps it might not be as bad, but I rarely drive in flat areas. The headrests in my situation seem to be partially in the way; dropping the seatbacks could help in that case.

(Side note: AZ_Real's camera is much better than my iPhone 6s. I didn't pay any attention to camera settings, though, for obvious reasons.)

I tried crouching below what my back will allow me as an experiment, and the pillars that surround the windshield drop away and the view is fantastic! But back in normal height, a huge portion of my view is blocked by the pillars on the side of the windshield. Cars are just shaped wrong for good visibility. That might be because I have a tall trunk, though.

One of the things I loved about my Mercedes was that the windshield allowed me to see out of it around me forward comparatively well compared to most cars I drove. The only other types of vehicles that allowed that for me were large heavy (called "Commercial" in USA) trucks (Volvo, Freightliner, even Mack, and the occasional Kenworth). Most cars just love to block the view.

IMG_2376.JPG

IMG_2373.JPG

Last edited:
i just learned that the only way to see all vehicles that might be by the sides of the Model S such as before switching lanes (but at any time) is to look not only through all mirrors, windshield and front door windows, but also back door windows. This isn't something I needed in all my previous cars, but it is definitely necessary for the Tess Model S. The great thing about it is that it kind of stretches my neck a little, keeping it healthy, and once I have looked in all those windows and mirrors, I will see all normal vehicles by my sides. This is both comforting to know and necessary to know.

Most people would eventually learn this on their own, but I just wanted to be completely sure by posting my finding.
try adjusting you mirrors, in 3+ years of ownership I've never encountered such issues.

I am curious if you guys use the side impact warning for blind spot monitoring? I have been using that and results seems to be pretty good. A little annoying that I have to check two places before changing lanes, but seems to work every time
for me the lack of an audible signal and the placement of the visual alert renders the lane avoidance system useless. I do not take my eyes off the road to look at the binnacle. learn how to adjust your mirrors properly and you'll be better off safety wise

Reactions: Naonak
Yesterday I realized that if my trunk was a lot shorter, the Model S experience would be fantastic in terms of seeing out of the car.

Here is the phone held up to my eye height right in front of my eyes while on California1 North. Note how I can barely see behind my car through the rear view mirror in one picture, and not great in the other, but almost as well as
why do you need to see out the rear window?