Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switching lanes tip for new Tesla drivers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i just learned that the only way to see all vehicles that might be by the sides of the Model S such as before switching lanes (but at any time) is to look not only through all mirrors, windshield and front door windows, but also back door windows. This isn't something I needed in all my previous cars, but it is definitely necessary for the Tess Model S. The great thing about it is that it kind of stretches my neck a little, keeping it healthy, and once I have looked in all those windows and mirrors, I will see all normal vehicles by my sides. This is both comforting to know and necessary to know.

Most people would eventually learn this on their own, but I just wanted to be completely sure by posting my finding.

When driving, I always try to avoid anyone driving near a 3rd party vehicle who has a garment hanging from a hook in the back seat area..the driver's view is always somewhat obscured by the hanging garment...I view it in the same manner as avoiding folks who are texting whilst driving...I would just rather not drive near these people.

i just learned that the only way to see all vehicles that might be by the sides of the Model S such as before switching lanes (but at any time) is to look not only through all mirrors, windshield and front door windows, but also back door windows
I disagree. If you correctly adjust your Tesla side mirrors to eliminate the rear quarter blind spot (easy to do as @Az_Rael points out) you do not need to turn your head. And in a Tesla, if you run the rear view camera image at the top of the center display you will at a single glance have a complete view of everything in both rear quarters and to the rear (unless of course it is raining in which case the rear view camer is probably useless, on ongoing problem with Teslas that have yet to be corrected).

I have verified many times that the rear view camera image is so wide that it still shows vehicles in adjacent lanes when I start to see them in my peripheral vision without turning my head unless the vehicles are very short. And a properly adjusted side mirror will show the vehicle while it is visible in the rear camera view and the rear view mirror, so it is a very useful backup/confirming check.

Last edited:
I agree with John in post #6: the rear view camera is a feature I rely heavily on whenever I find myself in urban or other heavy-traffic situations. This is not unusual amongst other owners: I believe I read that Tesla has demonstrated that the rear-camera presence on our cars' screens is one of the most frequently used options. I apologize for not having the reference for same on hand.

Thank you for your informative posts. I like having all these options available to me (and others who stumble upon this information). I will experiment with the side mirror adjustments, as well as take more stock in the rear view camera. I love the rear view camera, however, I find that it is one of three apps that I like having on my touchscreen (which maxes out at two), and therefore have decided to not depend on it just yet, but this discussion is leaning me toward using it more.

By the way, here are the four most used apps I have on my touchscreen, in order:
  1. Tesla Waze (usually using whole screen mode); I find it a nicer interface than my dash mounted phone (and I'm taken to putting my podcast navigator as the main screen on my dash mounted phone). When using Tesla Waze in full screen mode, it is absolutely stunningly sublime and informative in a very quick glance. I can easily divert around huge traffic jambs and be ready for a wide variety of situations.

Note that both of those things could be fixed with superior user interface on Tesla's user interface systems, but I'm not even going to hope for such things given my understanding reading forums about their progress in the many years on those fronts.
  2. Tesla Navigation. I am learning to instead use the "instrument panel" area (the one directly in front of drive with speedometer) for nav from the car and use Google as a nav on the dash mount phone rather than let it take as much touchscreen real estate. Meanwhile, I like the traffic information given by Nav that Tesla Waze often omits (but not entirely). It also gives me updated information on charge level. As I get more used to the car, I may need this less. I already have the confidence to drive to work and back, and am slowly memorizing my other trips.
  3. Rear View Camera. I wish there was a steering wheel mounted button to bring it up quickly, rather than having to reach over and fiddle for many seconds with the touch screen, often hurting my back and requiring many many glances off of the road.

While waiting for pie in sky progress (or self*-programmable cars), I'd like a way for the bright lights that are transmitted through the rear view camera onto the screen to be replaced with something that simply shows where the bright lights are; this could easily be done with real time video editing filters. The filter would be very simple: replace high intensity with "something else". Perhaps simply an intensity curve that just removes high intensity lights?
  4. Music selection. Usually I only use this screen briefly, and attempt to do so only while pulled over or at a long light.
Due to this discussion, I'm going to attempt to put more emphasis on finding a way to dash mount my second phone to move more apps onto it (podcast AND Waze/Google nav), to reduce the likelihood that I ever need to turn off rear view on my touchscreen. If successful, I could get to a point that I have rearview up 100% (when it doesn't have glaring headlamps).

It is a well known issue with Tesla's Touchscreen that it has more apps than there are half screens to put them on. This switching is something that is unique to screen oriented car control (which I first experienced in my Mercedes); in many-knob type dashes, each knob sits there waiting 100% of the time to be twisted, pushed, pulled, or whatever, and any status displays are always present. I'll have to see how to better acquaint myself with this new fashion style of operation, which is even more down the road of screen oriented use than my Mercedes was. So far, I've survived without incident, and I will probably be really good at it in about half a year.

While adjusting mirrors, I'll learn what works and what doesn't, and I'll have rear door windows as a backup during that learning process.

* Self could refer to me or the car, I realize. This time, I meant me.
-------

You can adjust your side view mirrors to eliminate the blind spot. It involves not being able to see the side of your car from the side view mirrors, but works great.

How To: Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots - Feature

This looks really promising. I'm going to go outside right now and back up against my garage door and adjust the mirrors like this.

It's odd that in the many driver's safety trainings I've received, I've never been taught to do this. Ok, I realize why: all of my driver safety training is for buses and trucks (real trucks, not little open-ass cars called pickups), which don't have rear view mirrors. I see the Tesla is different in that regard.

The Model X would be harder to depend on the rear view mirror. I guess the backup camera comes into play there.

Onward ...

---

I've attempted this. My left eye and right eye clearly see different expanses through the mirrors, and the overlap depends on both working. I attempted to take pictures of the outcome. I realize now the art on the garage door is a necessary component of this exersize that would not be possible without it. The odd little things one depends on stack up in life.

IMG_0070.JPG
IMG_0071.JPG
IMG_0072.JPG
IMG_0073.JPG

---

Edit:

Ok, followup:

I am aready disappointed with the results. I cannot see as far behind me in this configuration. Cars far behind me do not show up in the rear view mirror or the backup camera (resolution too low), and normaly they'd show up in the side mirrors but not adjusted in this manner. I literally have no idea there is apporaching traffic behind me until it is nearly upon me. I think giving up this information simply to avoid stretching my neck during lane changes is not something I want to give up. I will experiment a little more.

Last edited:
Ok, followup:

I am aready disappointed with the results. I cannot see as far behind me in this configuration.

Yeah, I have better rear mirror visibility because I don't have the newer seats and those giant headrests in the back. So I don't have an issue with seeing cars far behind in the rear mirror. I can see why folks with newer cars keep the rear camera up on the console instead.

There is also a learning curve as to which mirror you look at. Once you have your mirrors adjusted in the way in the study, you can no longer see any distant rear vehicles in the side mirrors. So if you were used to looking in the side mirror to check for cars behind you, it takes some getting used to. I adapted several cars ago and I absolutely love it. I can see cars in my blind spot out of my peripheral vision in the side mirror, so while I still do a shoulder check when changing lanes, I am never surprised by a car in my blind spot anymore.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo
You can adjust your side view mirrors to eliminate the blind spot. It involves not being able to see the side of your car from the side view mirrors, but works great.

Exactly! Why the majority position their side mirrors so a portion of their own car is visible is always a mystery to me - dont you know where you car is? Pointing the mirrors outward so your own car is not in them completely eliminates blind spots

Do you have a problem with that happening a lot?
Pretty much yes.
I drive fast, so if someone is coming up on me, they must be some crazy @$$ mother@#%#@$#@s.

I got nothing but respek for thems that pass me.
Haha, awesome. Me too. I always try to let people pass me when I can if they are going faster. But, I'm not always going fast, or someone is faster than me in some instance even if I'm not going slow, and I have more problems with super awful drivers. A lot of them will quickly get up to me, and almost hit me, and I have to get out of the way. This is nice to know before I switch lanes or have to switch lanes soon, or just in general to give them room.

Oddly enough, I've noticed a cultural thing that a lot of the "recently arrived" people are very -- I'm going to be positive about this -- friendly with other cars with their own cars, by hanging out with them, getting really close, being sociable, just feeling part of a group and being with each other -- you know, car to car, driving along side them, feeling good about sharing the road with others in that close friendly relationship. Which drives me a little paranoid of them -- I'd like to keep a nice buffer. Sometimes, the "friendly" cars come up fast, then befriend me very well, right in one of my very friendly blind spots. This is easier to detect when I see them approaching.

• Funny
Reactions: CalBlue 85D

this is correct. most people (driving any car) have their mirrors adjusted improperly. if you can see the side of your car in your side mirrors, then you are unnecessarily creating a blind spot for yourself.

I've actually noticed the view from the rear camera appears to be greater than 180 degrees - it sticks out a bit, and the rear curves towards the edges, so the camera almost covers the entire blind spot. By the time a passing car is out of camera view, it's in my peripheral vision.

I second all the posts about the incorrect mirror adjustment. I actually teach teenagers at Tire Rack Street Survival schools proper mirror adjust.

Long and short adjust mirror out until you can't see your car when turning head, like it's on a pedestal. Then tilt your head almost 45° and move the mirror further until you can't see your car but it is barely outside the edge. In the Model S if you see no car but then unlock and see door handles out but not retracted that is usually good. Also make sure your mirror is perpendicular to the ground.

You should never be able to see your own car as it never moves, hauling a trailer changes certain aspects. Basically a vehicle crosses from rear view and then overlaps in rear view and side mirror and then side mirror then to right next to your window even with your car.

Reactions: kort677

Great advice but most people don't, and mistakenly, set side their side view mirrors that way. I've set mine this way for years and it's saved me many times. As an extra precaution I always have the rear camera on the touchscreen when I'm driving. It provides yet another view of rear and approaching side traffic.