Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to switch my model 3P from a 235/35R20 to a 245/40R20 in the front and l wider tire in the rear looking to see if anyone had done this and did you have any rubbing issues.

Also look for all different variations of tires that will fit on rear and front of M3P.

Going to a 245/40 would make the diameter 4.5% greater, do you want that? The speedo will be wrong, ride height higher, more chance of rubbing on suspension compression, gearing will be off, slower acceleration potentially. Normally you would go with 245/35, or 255/30. Those will fit without rubbing.

Going wider in the rear is usually sub-optimal for performance, are you doing it for looks?

255/35/20 no issues. Continental DWS06+
ED7E247D-528D-4A3F-BC9B-5570E1F7BDB4.jpeg

Looking to switch my model 3P from a 235/35R20 to a 245/40R20 in the front and l wider tire in the rear looking to see if anyone had done this and did you have any rubbing issues.

Also look for all different variations of tires that will fit on rear and front of M3P.
The size you are proposing on the front is not even close to clearing the front steering knuckle. It literally will not fit on the car. Stick within two percent of stock rolling diameter

The size you are proposing on the front is not even close to clearing the front steering knuckle. It literally will not fit on the car. Stick within two percent of stock rolling diameter
Not the case. I have 255/35r30 (Nokian ZLine) tires and haven't had any rubbing, there's about a finger gap between the tire and the steering knuckle.

Also I thought I'd have an issue with speed being incorrect but after making a few passes on a speed detection sign (the kind the cops put out) it's matched my reported speed exactly. I had to select the 20" Zero G wheels, in the tire menu.

• Funny
Reactions: MacO512 and dfwatt
Not the case. I have 255/35r30 (Nokian ZLine) tires and haven't had any rubbing, there's about a finger gap between the tire and the steering knuckle.

Also I thought I'd have an issue with speed being incorrect but after making a few passes on a speed detection sign (the kind the cops put out) it's matched my reported speed exactly. I had to select the 20" Zero G wheels, in the tire menu.
255/35/20 has a 27" overall diameter and fits okay (you must have really thin fingers, cause it's about 0.1-0.2" away from the top of the knuckle.
245/40/20 is 27.3" in diameter and will almost surely rub against the upright on a stock offset wheel. Some spacers may help, no idea how thick.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd and tm1v2

Well you've changed your tune(sizes). You might go back and re-read your original post where you were talking about a 245/40- 20 on the front which as I said will not fit and has a significantly larger rolling diameter than a 255/35. Rolling diameter on the tire you originally talking about (235/40) is 27.7 in. That will not clear the front steering knuckle. It is not news that a 255 / 35 on the other hand will clear as this has been tried by literally dozens of folks on the forum.

I would love to see a model 3 with a 30 inch wheel.