Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switching my AMG G63 to a Model X this Week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

First time here and finally made the decision to switch from my 2016 AMG G63 to Model X this week. My AMG G63 is a lovely and dumb piece of brick I know but it carries a lot of good memories with me.

I tested drive a Model X today, totally feel like a dinosaur and not knowing how to behave in the car, the driving experience is very smooth and the car is so responsive!

I do have some questions and sincerely hope you more experienced Model X owners can help me out:

(1) Should I get Performance or Long Range Plus if price is not an issue? Is it worth it to spend that extra $10k.
Full disclaimer: I have moved beyond the G Wagon dumb stick on the street stage, never will drive pass 100 mph, I'm more of a family man now.

(2) Should I trade in my G63 with Tesla or Trade in somewhere else and then buy from Tesla? G63 the only good thing about it is probably its ability to retain value, so if I trade in mine with a local dealership (BMW or Porsche they actually take G63s to my surprise) I will get back around $85000 to $87000, not sure about how much I can get from Tesla trade-in but I have heard they will lowball a lot.

(3) What other things I should pay attention to or be mindful of when buying a Model X?

Thanks a lot and look forward to learning from you guys and gals.

Hi guys,

First time here and finally made the decision to switch from my 2016 AMG G63 to Model X this week. My AMG G63 is a lovely and dumb piece of brick I know but it carries a lot of good memories with me.

I tested drive a Model X today, totally feel like a dinosaur and not knowing how to behave in the car, the driving experience is very smooth and the car is so responsive!

I do have some questions and sincerely hope you more experienced Model X owners can help me out:

(1) Should I get Performance or Long Range Plus if price is not an issue? Is it worth it to spend that extra $10k.
Full disclaimer: I have moved beyond the G Wagon dumb stick on the street stage, never will drive pass 100 mph, I'm more of a family man now.

(2) Should I trade in my G63 with Tesla or Trade in somewhere else and then buy from Tesla? G63 the only good thing about it is probably its ability to retain value, so if I trade in mine with a local dealership (BMW or Porsche they actually take G63s to my surprise) I will get back around $85000 to $87000, not sure about how much I can get from Tesla trade-in but I have heard they will lowball a lot.

(3) What other things I should pay attention to or be mindful of when buying a Model X?

1 - If money is no object, why not get a performance? Keep in mind, if you go with the 22 wheels (and have a lead foot on the rare day), you will lose some range. If you don't think those are things that interest you, save the money and put it to your family or invest it somewhere (or, if you need some solar, put that cash towards Tesla solar)

2 - Tesla will absolutely lowball on trade-ins... They don't keep them and turn them around straight to auction. You may want to check with some of the online car companies (e.g. Carvana) and see what they will offer you, or, check with a local dealership or even sell if yourself if you have the time (you'll get the best return that way).

3 - There are definitely some quality control issues (and poor communications) when it comes to Tesla and their service, so, be prepared for that. A number of common problems to surface, and, you can usually see them on the first pages of the X forums and the sub forums...
Common complaints = poor vehicle panel alignments, rattles/squeaks, window issues, excessive wind noise while driving, vibration while driving, issues with the falcon doors

I've had my X for a little over a year now, and it's still fun to get in and drive it - I've had to go to the service center a few times to get some repairs done (and a couple of corrections of various exterior pieces upon delivery).

• Helpful
Reactions: X007X
Hi guys,

1. How frequently are you going to go on a trip over 250 miles 1 way? If it is a "fair" amount of time -whatever that means to you - buy the Long Range Plus - Range is King and it is plenty fast enough - quicker than your G63.

2. You will get the most money by selling your G63 on your own. It is obviously easier to just trade in.

3. Enjoy your X. Might look into tinting the front door windows and the windshield with something like Llumar 90.

I chose the MXLR+ with stock 20"wheels. I had the wheels powdercoated black and brake calipers painted in addition to blacking out the chrome. I was really concerned about range since I face cold Chicago winters. It's only gotten down to 30 since I've owned the X and I definitely see a 20% hit on range using heat as I would comfortably in an ICE car.

Hi guys,

1) performance with 20” so you are good in snow and can tow more if needed than 22”. As long as you are ok with range.
2) they usually match carsense quotes, they did for me. In PA you save on tax trading in.
3) as others said alignments. I ended up paying a body shop $300 to fix mine.

Hi guys,

Not sure how trades work in NY but here if Florida when you trade you only pay taxes on the difference between the price of the trade and the new car. At 6% that would be quite a bit of money in your case, you would have to get more than $5100 more if you sold it on your own. And that amount would go toward the taxes on the new car anyway.

See how much Tesla will offer you to trade in - Trade-in | Tesla

Hi guys,

Old G550 owner here. Loved that truck. Tons of fun, but yeah it was a brick and didn't love the MPG's (~10 on average). We have a 2020 X LR+, didn't go with the Performance. The G was my car, the Tesla is my wife's. In answer to your questions...

1) Coming from a G - even a G63, the LR+ will be significantly more nimble and fun to drive. I had a P Model S and it was fun for grins with friends, but in normal driving I never needed the power. Felt like a waste of $$ to me just to show off to friends. :)

2) You'll always get more $$ for selling outright.

3) Quality isn't great with Tesla's. We just picked up the 2020 a month ago and we've got a scheduled appt to fix a list of about 15 things including no response from the steering wheel controls. Benz's have a MUCH higher quality level so be ready for it. I went into getting another Tesla like buying a used car just under warranty. Inevitably there will be problems so just assume as much and be happy when/if there aren't.

We have a W212 E63 which we love, and I also cross-shopped with the GLS63, never really considered the G-class because I can't handle the handling of true off-roaders when I barely get my cars wet let alone dirty.

Even the sports-car-like GLS handling, in comparison to the G, doesn't get close to the X IMO. The X is truly a tall car/wagon whereas the GLS is designed to tow heavy and sit high all the time, and Model X is just dimensionally just mroe compact and wieldy despite weighing about the same. Makes sense when you look at them on paper, but the difference in driving was surprising to me, Model X drives nothing like any other 3-row I've driven.

We ordered an LR+, despite being AMG/M-car people, because the range is the number I care about most, especially when towing. Also, for me, the acceleration difference becomes mostly academic. You arrive at the speed limit quickly and without drama, the only difference among the cars is whether it takes three or four mississippis, nothing special other than how hard your head hits the seat.