Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switching to drive while the car is moving in reverse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

user212_nr

Aug 26, 2019
US
I've noticed while backing up that Tesla does not require the Model 3 to come to a complete stop before switching from reverse into drive.

Does anyone know if there are limitations to this, or if it is completely safe at any speed (max 15 or so mph in reverse)?

I've noticed while backing up that Tesla does not require the Model 3 to come to a complete stop before switching from reverse into drive.

Does anyone know if there are limitations to this, or if it is completely safe at any speed (max 15 or so mph in reverse)?

I am sure there is a max speed they calculate. It's also likely safer than shifting am ICE car from reverse to drive with stopping. You can do that too. I do it all the time backing out of my driveway and it feels quite smooth.

The owner's manual (page 57) says to switch from reverse to drive, or from drive to reverse, the car must be moving less than 5MPH or be stopped. If moving less than 1MPH, you mar press the brake first.

I'm a "hold" driver as well. I came across a video about this during my search for why the car was making an awful groaning/creaking noise when turning the wheel at very low speeds, usually going from reverse to drive.

I learned that while in hold mode if you reverse then brake fully (allow it to go into hold), then turn the wheel either way, that groaning sound is normal. I don't hit the brake anymore when backing out of my garage or a parking spot going from reverse to drive, and the sound is completely gone.

I'm a "hold" driver as well. I came across a video about this during my search for why the car was making an awful groaning/creaking noise when turning the wheel at very low speeds, usually going from reverse to drive.

I learned that while in hold mode if you reverse then brake fully (allow it to go into hold), then turn the wheel either way, that groaning sound is normal. I don't hit the brake anymore when backing out of my garage or a parking spot going from reverse to drive, and the sound is completely gone.

Can you post a link to that Video?

Please pardon my follow-up question; it's probably stupid, but I thought I'd at least ask rather than ruminate over it.

My Model 3 was in Reverse and moving up my semi-steep driveway at around 1MPH. I almost hit my garage door, the Model 3 warned me, and it started to roll forward whilst in Reverse. I immediately shifted into Drive, and quickly pressed on the accelerator.

Is it the same principle you all have mentioned? Since I wasn't going above 5MPH, if I shifted into Drive & immediately pressed the accelerator, while rolling forward (whilst in Reverse), no harm would come to the vehicle?