Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switching to Octopus Go (from British Gas)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Slightly off thread - but has anyone else experienced the "double billing" on Octopus Go?

I switched a few days ago, downloaded the data today and my average usage has doubled from 20kw to 40kw/day. Obviously that's a lot considering no car charging at the moment..

Googled it and seems to be a common thing if you have a SMETS1 meter... Annoying nevertheless as just something else to chase and sort out.

Be interested to hear if anyone else has experienced the same thing.

Slightly off thread - but has anyone else experienced the "double billing" on Octopus Go?

I switched a few days ago, downloaded the data today and my average usage has doubled from 20kw to 40kw/day. Obviously that's a lot considering no car charging at the moment..

Googled it and seems to be a common thing if you have a SMETS1 meter... Annoying nevertheless as just something else to chase and sort out.

Be interested to hear if anyone else has experienced the same thing.
I’ve got a SMETS1 with the Secure logo and reports properly every half hour. It was was installed by Eon long before I switched to Octopus.
my usage didn’t change when I switched. It stayed right on the money. Hope you get it sorted

Reactions: Roy W.
I’ve got a SMETS1 with the Secure logo and reports properly every half hour. It was was installed by Eon long before I switched to Octopus.
my usage didn’t change when I switched. It stayed right on the money. Hope you get it sorted
Thanks. Mine is same, ex-eon meter. The meter itself is fine. Yesterday's meter usage was 16kw. Octopus Go reporting 32kw.

I switched to Octopus just over 2 weeks ago. Phoned them to ask about smart meters and the guy made me an appointment there and then. Both meters were installed on Wednesday morning but neither meter is sending readings to Octopus yet. I'm told it can take up to 2 weeks.

If you need a referral code, feel free to message me.
Same for me. Switched and installed within a few weeks. Just emailed their team politely.

ditto if anyone needs a referral .

Over on the SpeakEV forums there is a thread where it seems to be a common issue with SMETS1 Secure...

GO is a beta product of course so prepared to cut them a bit of slack.
Even if it’s a beta product, how hard can it be?
that said, I won’t make a good judge. With solar and Powerwalls in place, my bill for the whole of March was for 47Kwh off-peak and 6Kwh peak. A whopping £3.04 plus daily standing charge

Reactions: Billbrown1982
Even if it’s a beta product, how hard can it be?
that said, I won’t make a good judge. With solar and Powerwalls in place, my bill for the whole of March was for 47Kwh off-peak and 6Kwh peak. A whopping £3.04 plus daily standing charge
If you read some of their blogs, apparently very difficult indeed... lots of security issues, different meters, DCC being a party to it all.... I kind of sympathise but of course just want it to work!

Reactions: Roy W.
Scrub my last comment about giving Octopus the benefit of the doubt.

E-mailed and told them their data was showing double my meter usage. Also highlighted that it was a common problem according to some internet forums.

They replied and told me if my meter was reading incorrect, I'd need to pay £80 for a meter check. And denied that the problem existed for me or anyone else.

Been tracking my meter readings daily which are correct, show consumption the same historically as it's always been.

Meanwhile for Sunday, Octopus logged me at 39kw usage when my actual usage was 17kw... Nothing to see here they say!

Scrub my last comment about giving Octopus the benefit of the doubt.

E-mailed and told them their data was showing double my meter usage. Also highlighted that it was a common problem according to some internet forums.

They replied and told me if my meter was reading incorrect, I'd need to pay £80 for a meter check. And denied that the problem existed for me or anyone else.

Been tracking my meter readings daily which are correct, show consumption the same historically as it's always been.

Meanwhile for Sunday, Octopus logged me at 39kw usage when my actual usage was 17kw... Nothing to see here they say!
I think I would refuse to pay for a meter check as it’s obviously correct. I think a reply suggesting that you are inclined to refer the matter to OFGEN for resolution. Perhaps in the first instance an email to the CEO is in order.

If I’m understanding the problem correctly. If you use 20Kw per day, the meter reads 1000 on day 1, 1020 day 2, 1040 day 3 and so on, while Octopus show 40Kw per day in your account usage.
when the bill comes, that’s going to be interesting as the bill is based upon start/finish meter readings And the daily usage is pretty much for info.
if they bill otherwise, you can always send photos of the meter readings

If I’m understanding the problem correctly. If you use 20Kw per day, the meter reads 1000 on day 1, 1020 day 2, 1040 day 3 and so on, while Octopus show 40Kw per day in your account usage.
when the bill comes, that’s going to be interesting as the bill is based upon start/finish meter readings And the daily usage is pretty much for info.
if they bill otherwise, you can always send photos of the meter readings
Yes that's it. I take daily meter readings at the moment and know my average usage too.

You can login and view the Octopus API which shows their 30 min readings and daily usage.

I think I would refuse to pay for a meter check as it’s obviously correct. I think a reply suggesting that you are inclined to refer the matter to OFGEN for resolution. Perhaps in the first instance an email to the CEO is in order.
Indeed, no chance I am paying for that when the meter is clearly not at fault - but something up with their interface and how it reads it.

You can google the problem and there are forums with people suffering/suffered from the same issue - so very surprised to see them just flatly deny it exists.

So far my Octopus experience is quite frustrating.

I’ve been with them since November 2019. It was a bit random for a while. The period from Oct to November 2019 (pre Go tariff) went unbilled until a couple of months ago. Otherwise bills are correct and regular monthly and have been so for 6 months.

Hi All, I am planning to switch from British Gas to Octopus energy(Go plan). I was told by Octopus team that my house need new smart meter, so need to go for interim tariff for now before switching to Octopus Go.
I live in Oxfordshire. Does any one give approximate time line to get Octopus new Smart meter installation in Oxfordshire?
I don't want to be in Octopus interim tariff for months. Instead I would go for BG - Electric Drivers tariff without paying any exit fees.
Any suggestions welcome!

Honestly it can vary so much depending on when engineers are working in your area.

For me, I was told to let the 14 day cooling off period expire and then ring up to book an engineer visit in, which was then confirmed and completed 2 weeks later.

BUT, that was before covid and I know it has upset things quite a bit. I did just get a notification that engineers are working in my mums area and have booked her smart meter install in for next week though.

I'd like to say that you won't be waiting long and I honestly don't think you will, but don't come looking for me if I end up being wrong :)

Have you actually tried directly asking them on what their current waiting time is? They should be able to give you some idea at least.

Thanks a lot for your reply. I think, 2-4 weeks is a decent waiting period
I asked about waiting time, during my call with Octopus team. They are very sure that they can't provide any time lines for any area. As you rightly said it might depends on area as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I wouldn't expect much more than that, funny enough I just logged into my account to get that link for ya, and there's a message saying...

"COVID-19 update: Following an update to government guidance, we're carefully starting to ramp up smart meter installations once again. Please register your interest for more information."

Even though I already have smart meters but hey, looks like things might finally be getting back to normal!

EDIT: Ah they are pushing for Smets2 meter installations, mine are only Smets1 so I just registered my interest in an upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator: