Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switching to "Time of use" tariff (Western Victoria, Powercor)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

srwx

"perf_config": "P1"
May 16, 2016
Ballarat, Australia
I've made the decision to switch to the TOU tariff (peak/off-peak) and so started by asking my retailer who responded with:

FYI - Changing your tariff is certainly by no means an easy process in can take between 3-6 months to happen, there is a cost involved that you have to pay, and even after 6 months waiting to happen your local DB can turn round and say no as it’s their choice. It is certainly not something we would ever advise in doing.

Now I have a smartmeter (like everyone in Victoria) and I thought that meant it was now super simple and easy for the wholesalers to switch us between tariffs and now it sounds like it's some racket with a stupid unreasonable time and monetary cost. Is this just my retailer trying to dissuade me or is this an accurate description of the process? Anyone have any experience on switching tariff? (Ideally on the same wholesale network I guess). I already feel like I should call the ombudsman because it feels like right from the off I'm being lied to.

• Informative
Reactions: baillies
I have switched twice in 2 locations. The first, the re-seller organised and paid as they wanted the account. The second was a drama because the re-seller didn't want to do it. It is the energy utility that does the change. My understanding is that a smart meter makes the process simple. There is a valid charge but worth fighting for a discount or no fee. Maybe under threat of changing your re-seller. You need to do your sums of dual tariff v single tariff as it may not be worth the change. Sometimes single tariff rates can trump dual tariffs - depends on re-seller and your usage.

• Informative
Reactions: baillies
When I first built the house in Southern Highlands NSW, we were forced to use one energy supplier, Origin.
It’s only recently been possible to change and I am currently transferring to a new supplier Powershop.
Estimated changeover is a month.

I've made the decision to switch to the TOU tariff (peak/off-peak) and so started by asking my retailer who responded with:

Now I have a smartmeter (like everyone in Victoria) and I thought that meant it was now super simple and easy for the wholesalers to switch us between tariffs and now it sounds like it's some racket with a stupid unreasonable time and monetary cost. Is this just my retailer trying to dissuade me or is this an accurate description of the process? Anyone have any experience on switching tariff? (Ideally on the same wholesale network I guess). I already feel like I should call the ombudsman because it feels like right from the off I'm being lied to.

A change in tariff is a simple process from a DB perspective. The move to TOU tariffs was one of the original intents of the smart meter rollout (the premise being that price signals move peak demand closer to average demand and defer the need for capital expenditure).

If you are not aware then here is a good place to start looking for alternate plans / retailers: Energy Made Easy

Or if you want to make an easy $50 (and buy me a beer): Victorian Energy Compare