TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Switching Wheel Sizes, How does the car know?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by zeeboid, May 1, 2014.

1. zeeboid

zeeboid Member

Hey all. Don't have my car yet, not until August... But I had a question that I couldn't find the answer to.

I will be getting a set of extra 19" wheels and winter tires thanks to MinneSnowta winters.

So, when swapping between, does the car know and adjust the range accordingly? As I u derstand, it has the option to display rated range or range based on driving history.

Sorry, I am very curious without having a car to play with yet!

Thanks,
    Pete

2. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

Rated range or ideal range are the choices in the US. Rated range is based on the EPA 265 mile range, and ideal range is 300 miles at 55mph flat ground, no hvac, no wind, etc. Rated range is more useful to me.

3. zeeboid

zeeboid Member

Indeed... but does anything change with the wheel sizes? Or I suppose not as the epa range doesn't take into account the wheel sizes eh?

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

21" and 19" tires both have the same number of revs per mile, so the range calculation and final drive ratio are not effected.

5. zeeboid

zeeboid Member

Right. but the wheel weight is not the same, and the 19"s list a longer range on the website... but what I'm hearing is "it doesn't matter enough, stop being anal about it"? :)

6. green1

green1 Active Member

It sounds to me from all I've read that they affect the range, but not nearly as much as the amount of wind, or the rain, or slight elevation changes, etc.
    Everything you do affects range to some extent, and can have a fairly significant effect on how far you can go, wheels are just one more in the list, but not one of the bigger factors.

7. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Not sure about range, but when you switch wheels you can hit the TPMS reset button and it'll ask you which size wheels you have on the car.

8. joefee

joefee Over 2 Million TMC page views

I have both 21's & 19"... The 19's main benefit are lower replacement cost & softer ride which I use for road trips.